Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hot Rod Race...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

stillrunners likes this.
  2. beauishere

beauishere

Nice post. I really like the Red Foley version. The guitar really kicks it. Thanks for the obvious effort that went into the research for what probably should be this website's theme song.

3. koth

koth

That was fun to listen to and compare. I agree, Red Foley's version was best, plus the shots of the cars:)
    Thanks for sharing it.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Nice way to start the day, thanks!

5. This is one of my favorite songs. Thanks for the history!

6. Kenny DFW

Kenny DFW

Never knew what a direct rip off "Hot Rod Lincoln" was!!! Great post.

7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

thanxz alot jive-bomber. Awesome.....

8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Actually Hot rod lincoln has a different story, and was actually about a run he actually had right out of the town I'm sitting in right now! The owner of the place I work at can remember him singing out at the paridice club(long since torn down)
    Here is a cut and paste from his fan site;

One night his Lincoln chased a friend's Cadillac over the Clearwater river bridge and up the Lewiston grade. The telephone poles were whizzing by so fast they looked like picket fences as Charlie later referred to in his hit song, "Hot Rod Lincoln". Charlie wrote the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" in 1950, recorded it first in 1955 and the song was released in 1957. The song hit the Billboard top 100 charts in 1960 and stayed there for six months. It was the number one song in many parts of the country. While the song tells of a race between a Lincoln and a Cadillac on the Grapevine grade in California, the actual location was on the Lewiston grade in Idaho. The mythical Hot Rod Lincoln was really a Model "A" coupe body set on the original 1941 Lincoln frame Charlie had been driving in the early 50's with a hopped up Lincoln engine.

the site http://hot-rod-lincoln.com/history.htm

stillrunners likes this.
  9. Is that a Lincoln Cosmopolitan grill in the first Merc?

10. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Now me and my wife and my brother Joe,
    took off in my Ford from San Pedro.
    We hadn't much gas 'n' the tires was low,
    but the doggone Ford could really go.

Now along about the middle of the night,
    we were rippin' along like white folks might,
    when a Mercury behind he blinked his lights,
    and he honked his horn and he flew outside.

We had twin pipes and a Columbia butt,
    you people may think that I'm in a rut,
    but to you folks who don't dig the jive,
    that's two carburetors and an overdrive.

We made grease spots outta many good town,
    and left the cops heads spinnin' round 'n' round.
    They wouldn't chase, they'd run and hide,
    but me and that Mercury stayed side by side.

Now we were Ford men and we likely knew,
    that we would race until somethin' blew,
    and we thought it over,
    now, wouldn't you?

I looked down at my lovely bride,
    her face was blue, I thought she'd died.
    We left streaks through towns about forty feet wide,
    but me and that Mercury stayed side by side.

My brother was pale, he said he was sick,
    he said he was just a nervous wreck.
    But why should I worry, for what the heck,
    me and that Mercury was still neck-and-neck.

Now on through the deserts we did glide,
    a-flyin' low and a-flyin' wide,
    me an' that Mercury was a-takin' a ride,
    and we stayed exactly side by side.

Now I looked in my mirror and I saw somethin' comin',
    I thought it was a plane by the way it was a-runnin'.
    It was a-hummin' along at a terrible pace,
    and I knew right then it was the end of the race.

When it flew by us, I turned the other way,
    the guy in the Mercury had nothin' to say,
    for it was a kid, in a hopped up Model-A.

stillrunners likes this.
  11. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

12. thaugen

thaugen

Regarding the pronunciation of San Pedro, my wife was born there and we lived there over 20 years, and most locals say it like Arkie: San Peedro, not Sahn Paydro. We used to joke that all the big cities' names in Cali were anglicized from the Spanish: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and San Pedro.

Been over the old Lewiston Grade back in the 50s and parts of the old Grapevine, and there were a lot more wrecks laying in the canyon bottoms out of Lewiston.

13. I have to give Arthur Smith my vote. He is a local boy.

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

15. thaugen

thaugen

Hot Rod Lincoln song lyrics: What are safety tubes? As a kid I always thought they were some sort of low-hanging nerf bars sticking out the sides to keep the rod from rolling. Now a search only shows tire tubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwpuNYtsvmM

16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Never heard those versions before.
    This is the one I grew up listening to.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1EpWqXdsQtg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1EpWqXdsQtg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

18. GOONZ

GOONZ

The punk band "ALL" does a great cover of Hot Rod Lincoln, bought the CD for that song.

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

as with previous poster Rotten Leonard, I too am from Idaho. I have talked to Charlie Ryan and seen 'the car'. The whole story is pretty much exactly what Rotten Leonard relates. The Lewiston Grade is known as the 'grapevine hill' in them there parts, and the wrecks that have littered both sides of that treacherous route (cars and big rigs) count up in the hundreds I would suppose. I played in a C&W/R&R band in the early 60s (in HS) and met Charlie Ryan at some honky-tonk in Lewiston. I had a 29AV8 roadster at the time, so it was a good chat. I had the piano sheet music for "Hot Rod Race" for many years, but I've misplaced it somewhere.

dj

20. zgears

zgears

Got that one on 78', good to read some history.

21. RDR

RDR

Nice job Jive-bomber....enjoyed them all..my votes for Arkie...and yes thaugen,"safety tubes" were inner tubes

22. Ditto, my ol' man had this version on a 78 and I damn near wore it out as a kid. Thanks Junior for post this one. Kept listening to the other versions, going "nope, not the one I know".

Johnnie.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Great little flick with the music. Looks like a gennie horsehide jacket on the Ford pilot. Love this song, especially the term, got a columbia butt, meaning a columbia overdrive but needed the rhyme word for rut! Hot Rod Lincoln, is my alltime fave car song, I am buddies with Bill Kirchen of Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen fame, he and I share the same birthday. He is so hip, the lid comes off the dump whever he plays when he whips into the tune, usually followed by his incomperable guitar solo imitating every playing style from the great guitar slingers of fame. Thanx for the fun post. ~sololobo~

24. Another spin off...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRH7FtAAbJE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRH7FtAAbJE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

25. CruZer

CruZer

Thanks. I have The Hot Rod Race and Hot Rod Lincoln back to back on my Ipod. It makes for better listening one right after the other.

26. if you listen to the start of hot rod lincoln. Its actually not a rip off of it but a sort of the next part.. the hot rod lincoln was the model A from hot rod race

27. gsp392

gsp392

Very cool, thanks!

28. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I met Charlie Ryan when he was driving around in the Hot Rod Lincoln. He went to a lot of car events in the Northwest. He said Arkie Shibley was playing in the same town in Idaho and Charlie knew him. Charlie was the kid in the hopped up Model A, which was the "Hot Rod Lincoln".
    I had an original 78 RPM Arkie Shibley "Hot Rod Race" that I bought new but no longer have it. I asked Charlie about the similarities in the songs and as others have mentioned, Charlies song "Hot Rod Lincoln" was a continuation of "Hot Rod Race". In addition to being a musician, Charlie was a mechanic. He was a WWII Army veteran. When he came back to Idaho after the war he worked for his father in his father's auto wrecking yard. Charlie had bought a Lincoln Zephyr late model used car and had wrecked it on a Saturday night. His father was getting frustrated with it sitting in the yard and told Charlie to either fix it or part it out. Charlie took the Lincoln body off the frame and shortened the frame to fit a Model A coupe body that was in the yard. The engine from the Zephyr stayed in the frame. Charlie died a few years ago but before he did he drove all over in that car. The car was restored for him by several Washington State Hot Rodders. I was selling parts at one of the shows he went to and I met him when he bought parts from me. He wanted me to go look at the car to make sure it was the right part, which I did. The engine is a Zephyr V12. "It's got twelve cylinders and it uses them all". My wife was with me and we also met Charlies wife. They sent Christmas cards to us for many years. Just about everything mentioned in the song really happened, and yes it was in Idaho. Somebody from the record company told him to change the locale to Southern California if he wanted to sell any records. The last time I went to L.A. his song came on the radio as I was driving home on the Grapevine.

stillrunners likes this.
  29. that cover poster would make a sick T shirt!!!