Register now to get rid of these ads!

opinions on this gas tank set up??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oakmckinley, Jun 2, 2013.

1. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Okay I am installing a new gas tank on my 64 fairlane, and seeing that a new fairlane tank is pricey I opted for a mustang tank.
    It is shorter and wider than my original tank. The filler neck is positioned slightly different too. The back end of the tank would be resting on a lip on the fairlane trunk floor? Although the other end would be snug against the floor.
    Also the fairlane filler neck is covered up so moving the stang tank any farther backward would require cutting out the filler neck area?
    Let me know if you feel this setup would work or any suggestions you might have, Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

although I'd rather spend a few bucks and get the correct tank...it looks like it CAN work.
    But I think you need some additional work/brackets etc to prevent it from moving around when its full of gas.

Maybe you could fab some long channel brackets that bolt to the original tank holes along both sides and also to the floor. I'm thinking maybe split some rectangular tube down the middle lengthwise.
    That would keep the tank firmly in place, space it evenly and also help the straps hold it up under the car.
    Whatever you decide...keep in mind how heavy that tank gets and how much strain is on the straps. Overbuilt is good.

3. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Thanks for responding.
    The straps are the original, which was all that was holding the 22 gal original fairlane tank in. The mustang tank is a 16 gal tank so the straps should be able to hold the weight.
    Let's hear some more suggestions....

4. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Now that I am looking at it, it does seem like it could slide?
    Hmmmm, I am gonna have to do some more work.
    Maybe I can drill up through the holes in the corners of the stang tank and secure it that way as well. The stang tank is suppose to be bolted in so it is pre-drilled with holes.

Attached Files:

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...with the tank being shorter it makes it difficult to "lock" the tank into position securely. Over time things might start moving around on you!
    Bolts would be great...but you can't simply put bolts in place if they can't torque up tightly without deforming the edge.
    You need to fill up the gap, which is why I suggested some spacer channels.

I have no idea how much gap you actually have from the side of the tank to the floor, but bolting 1/8" thick metal channels to the floor (with fender washers inside the trunk) and then bolting the tank to the channels would make a strong connection...but you would still need the straps of course!
    The straps will still be the main load bearer...the bolts/channels mostly to keep things from moving around on you.

Whatever you finally decide is best for your situation, just make sure its strong.

6. Just exactly how much cheaper is the mustang tank than the fairlane tank?
    Sounds like a whole bunch of extra work and pita isn't free.

7. Willy301

Willy301

Consider reworking your trunk floor to allow the Mustang tank to drop in and bolt all the way around. My 63 Falcon is similar, and there are no straps. A much cleaner and stronger attachment in my opinion.

8. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

The mustang tank was about $200 bucks cheaper.....

9. Trying to cut corners on a gas tank might be a option but I think I would bet on the safe side and use one that is made to fit your car.

This is a tank from Auto City Classics and is $249.00 and worry free.

[​IMG]

I bought a tank from ACC for the '54 Ranch Wagon. HRP

10. Seems like a lot of ass ache, rework, Jerry rig & compromise to save 200 and maybe only 100ish if you get the tank at HRPs price.

I'm all for doing extra work to get better stuff a cleaner look more power better performance easier maintainable , better availability blah blah blah. It doesn't sound like you will get better stuff for all your extra work though. I'd mow a few more lawns for extra work and get the right 200 more tank

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This is one of those What :confused: situations. If no tank was available for your car then a modification, jury rigging might be in order.

But to save a few $ and possibly create more problems ?

No way I would consider that, buy the proper tank for your car and move on to other parts of the project.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you decide to go with the Mustang tank, I'd drill each corner of the turnk and use a pipe spacer between the tank and the trunk floor to locate the tank, and keep from pulling the tank corners or the floor. Then add the straps and it should be secure and safe.

13. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Did my 53 bel air this way and no problems with movement.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Hey that place is in my backyard, kind of...

I think you are all right on the tank, probably shouldn't be cutting any corners here.
    Hopefully this thread will serve as a lesson to anyone in the future wondering if a mustang tank will fit their fairlane. :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone for your help!!
    Jeanette