Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

Really nice work, puts my 'hamb'fisted (ho ho) efforts to shame.

On the clutch linkage have you considered going hydraulic?

I used this kit http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_hcr3.htm after a recommendation from another hamber and it works an absolute treat.

Sure saved a lot of headache and the best bit is it just works.

Keep up the good work, think the proportions are spot on with the longer bed.

P.:D

2. Hey Paul , thanks for the heads up on that clutch setup. That looks pretty slick or "the dog's bollocks" as your people would say:D!

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I really like this... great looking pickup! Keep it going!...

Malcolm

4. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

This is a sharp little truck! I dig the lines and i like the choice of engine.

5. Before I yanked the top off, I had reached a mini milestone in the form of two swinging/latching doors. I realize this may not seem like a big deal to most, but considering I made the A and B pillars and the dovetail guides from scratch, I am pleased with the outcome.

I still have a seemingly never ending list of tasks but this feels good, for real.

As always, thanks for looking, mikethegreek

Attached Files:

6. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Truck looks good. I've been following your thread. I got lucky on my '35 cab.....The guy that I got it from had already replaced the wood with tubing.

7. Thanks 20 Cent. I like the direction yours is going ,too. What are you doing for floors in yours?

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wow ! nice fabrication work ! this is making me sick , i wish i wouldn't have sold my 34 chevy cab off now !

9. Ha! Thanks man. I wanna drive this damn thing. I've got a long way to go....

10. I haven't updated in a while as I have been revamping the shop a little and remodeling the wife's bathroom.

I made some new shelves for my growing collection of stuff and managed to get the T inside for the winter.

Attached Files:

11. So, now I'm back on the truck. I needed some driveshaft and torque arm travel clearance so I decided to make a crude hammer- form to get the job done.

Then, It was on to replacing the mock-up wood at the back of the cab...

Attached Files:

12. turney33

turney33
    from pasco,wa

hey man that truck looks awsome! you will never regret replacing all of that termite food. I did the same thing with a 33 2dr sedan,long road but it sure is worth it!I am finally done with most of the body structure,on to the frame.Good luck,happy truckin.

13. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

lookin good i have a 33 pickup project on the go il be watching this one

14. More tubing ...and a shot of the doodlebug. One step forward and two steps back, it would seem.

I have plans to make the back window roll down ,so I'll have to address that at some point.

Attached Files:

15. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Nice subrails,where they from? Looking good! Rob

16. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Hey, nice door jam work! I'm gonna have to do something like that on mine. How are you attaching your wood parts to the steel parts?

17. Hey Rob, if you are referring to the last set of pictures, that is just 1"x 2" and 1"x 1-1/2" 14ga tubing.
    Thanks all for looking!

18. Thanks dude. The wood is attatched with little 6-32 stainless steel screws. Lots of drilling and tapping! I am using a spiral tap that is self drilling so that helps a little.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Pretty slick! I can see some resemblance. How about you come and handle my rust abatement project for me?

:)

20. Ha! A gallon jug of poison and a couple bricks-o-woolen steel. Send me a plane ticket!

21. You're doing some nice work!
    I like the way you solve problems: making wood templates and dies...
    What exactly are you using to clean up the sheet metal??

Keep us posted ;)

22. Thanks fuxl. The stuff is called Ospho. It is phosphoric acid. It works pretty well on the surface rust. Some 000 steel wool and a shit ton of elbow grease yields pretty good results. There are a few threads on the subject.

23. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Hey ya I was looking at the pic wrong,that is your jams I was referring to.Nice little T project also! Rob

24. mckustoms

mckustoms

Lookin good. Nice work.

25. freebird101

freebird101

26. Thanks for the accolades fellas.

I made some plates to follow the shape of the top of the cab corners and plated the front of it to add some strength. The top will bolt on through all this mess as original.

Also, while the back of the cab is off, I finished up some of the welding on the chassis while I could get to it. I still weld like a drunken sailor, but I am getting a little better.

Attached Files:

27. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Are you tig welding all that? Mig, Tig, whatever, it looks great! Keep up at that pace and you'll be going pro.

28. Ghost28

Ghost28

29. Ha! Yes it's all Tig when I can . A lot of crawling around on the floor and using my knee on the pedal. I have a hard time seeing Mig with all the smoke and schtuff ,so I Tig everything I can. I am not very consistant though.

30. Happy New Year everyone. It's been a little while since I've updated so here goes...

I stuck the pieces back on the roof that I had removed for repair. The new wood bolted in above and magically it all kind of came together. I did have to rework the upper corner pieces a little bit to get everything to jive once again. I knew I should have waited. Oh well.

Attached Files: