Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedway straight axle 62 nova

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jor-dan, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jor-dan

jor-dan
    from Arvada

Im looking to buy the speedway straight axle for my 62 nova. But I dont like that it is so high, but I do like the simplicity of it being bolt on. I have been told to just re weld the leaf pad on the bottom instead so the axle runs on top. Has anyone else done this? Or I am open to other ideas and suggestions. Pics are great please?

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You can order the kit with a dropped tube axle instead of a straight axle. That will allow a lot lower than changing the perch to the other side. A small amount higher priced to get the drop axle, but worth it.
    Just so you know, the Speedway axle is NOT a bolt in, unless you're ordering the whole axle/subframe kit. If that's what you're ordering, then give them a call and ask if it can be ordered with a drop axle. If not, then putting the axle above the spring will work.

3. Yeah, I used a Speedway 4 inch dropped axle on top of the springs, just weld the mounting brackets to the axle and you'll probably have to have some longer u bolts
    made like I did. The axle doesn't know what position it's at. Mine drives real good
    in my '35 Plymouth, don't know why it wouldn't be good in any car.

4. jor-dan

jor-dan
    from Arvada

Yeah I am looking at buying the whole front clip kit. I have never bought anything from speedway I didnt know if they would customize the kit at all.

5. jor-dan

jor-dan
    from Arvada

Any pics of that. I would love to see how it looks.

6. Are you building a Gasser? HRP

7. jor-dan

jor-dan
    from Arvada

Yes sir...And I know I will hear its not a gasser if you use a drop axle. But I like the look of the car high but level.

8. Im sure speedway will let you change components in the kit to fit your needs. Good people there!

9. squirrel

squirrel

might not be enough room above the springs to put the axle? But I guess that depends on how many leaves you leave in the springs.

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

If you mount the axle above the springs, you might have a problem with the axle hitting the frame when you go over bumps or come down from a wheelstand.

11. squirrel

squirrel

that's what I figured out after looking at it. You do need some suspension travel, and it all goes away if you put the axle over the spring, especially with the relatively tall perches they provide.

12. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I used Speedway's universal kit with a 4" drop axle. The car sits right with this setup.

13. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

I would be interested in seeing stance pics of cars with the drop axle also. May be putting an axle on my dads 64.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The Speedway Nova complete kit is on sale right now for under $1500, so not sure if they will do any swapping of sale items. Just call them and see what they say. I've always had good results talking to them when I had questions.
    And there were lots of gassers back in the day with dropped straight axles!

15. jor-dan

jor-dan
    from Arvada

called today and they said they would modify the kit however it is needed. super pumped.