Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Detroit Rock City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Thanks for the focus, hopefully some people get a different impression of how it is in this area. Yea, we have some problems (ok a lot of problems) but we keep going and you just can't let it get to you. I've always lived here, in the city a bit and mostly in the suburbs. The people and history here are strong and positive, that's why I've stayed. Seeing things like this makes you feel good. Thanks again Ryan.

3. dart165

dart165

There are actaully quite a few small businesses, restuarantes, cafes, coffee houses and shops that have been coming up strong in the last few years in detroit. I used to live in the city, now i'm down there atleast 2-3 a week (aside from being there twice a week for work). I strongly urge anyone local to go and take some time to peep some of the spots. It's not quite as "dire, doom/gloom bring a gun and watch your back" as some would think. Just gotta excersize common sense.

Not to be totally off track.... which this thread is anyway, but a few spots that I personally dig as of late:

Astro Coffee (Good Coffee bar: Corktown)
    Sugar House (Craft Cocktails that'll knock you on your ass: Corktown)
    Mercury Bar (Killer Burgers to the face, good beer selection: Corktown)
    Germack Coffee (or Eastern Market as a whole on Saturday mornings)
    Bronx Bar (Good hole in the wall for a shot and a beer...Back in the day, you could even get your hair cut...which is always a regretable descision after heavy drinkin: Cass Corridor)
    City Bird (Detroit-centric shop that supports local/MI artists and designers: Cass Corridor)
    Motor City Brewery (Ghetto Blaster. Need I say more? Cass Corridor)

There's also a few blogs and sites like Project D, and Thrillest: Detroit that highlight new spots as they open.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Although I was from Windsor (across the river from Detroit), I still love that city. We spent our time there going to some of the coolest bars ever. The Roostertail, the Rhinosoraus Club, the Post Bar. Nothing like it!

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I love the city, like any urban area it has it's good and bad. Ryan, you should come to autorama next year and check it out for yourself. Hit the Henry Ford and check out the Goldenrod, sneak you in to see whats left of the Highland Park Plant........

6. I have a good friend that spent many years in the music business in Detroit. The economy changed and now he's a contractor returning some of those old buildings to their former glory. I believe in him, and I believe in Detroit.

7. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

Detroit.... No city has more character. I love it there.

8. SkimmerBob

SkimmerBob

Cool little documentary I go downtown for ball games and things its not a bad place. The thing I though was funny was Johnny Knoxville telling those two in that theater to be careful he actually seemed hesitant. Just made me laugh.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. metal man

metal man

It's lunchtime,so I watched all of the videos. Boy,that is really encouraging...looks like the city has more promise than I thought.

I love the feeling of small,unique business moving in to some of those old factories and warehouses. Looks like quite a few people have the right idea,I'm pulling for them.

I think my kids generation (they're 16 and 22) could do a lot of good for Detroit. Thanks for posting this Ryan.

10. slimpick

slimpick

Another vote for Motor City Brewery!
    How about the Majestic?
    Polish Village!
    Der Rathskeller (Dakota Inn)!
    Lots to do in the D.

11. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Really cool, thanks for posting that.

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

With the right people in charge,Detroit can come back bigger and better.

13. Thanks Ryan!

I'll say the one thing I always tell everyone. If you're from Detroit, you can talk shit about Detroit and all of its problems. But if you're from anywhere but here, and you talk shit about our city, you'll get your ass kicked.

That statement just about sums up our whole attitude here for just about everything. We welcome outsiders with open arms as long as they keep their mouths shut and learn what we're really like.

I hate my city. I love my city. I'm from Detroit.

14. Only the fearless among us will actually go to the Dakota Inn. Being mostly German, I love that place! :D

15. Awesome. I've been all over the country but have lived here my entire life and have never found a reason to leave.

16. Windsor is the reason that when kids turn 21 in Detroit all they get is a shorter drive to the bar :)

17. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Here, here...It's my roots, Hail to the big "D"

Thanks Ryan for a little positive light.

18. raymay

raymay

Since my son started college at GMI in the mid 90's, I have traveled to the Detroit and surrounding areas a few times each year (and as recent as last week). He ended up settling there and currently works as an engineer for GM. I will say I have seen some pretty depressing areas around Flint and in Detroit itself. I have also seen the progress and positive transformation downtown over the years.
    When I look around even in my own home town I see things that are upsetting. Changes in neighborhoods that were once full of growing families are now becoming rows of cheap rental houses, drug and crime zones. Maybe I sound like an old MF biggot but this entitlement society we seem to be creating is in my mind a big cause of problems this nations cities are facing.
    I think Detroit is still a great city rich in both good and some bad history. My hope is that those who do live there are wise enough to know what the next chapter of their history should be and have the pride and commitment to make it happen.
    An interesting historical fact I learned over the years involves those who moved west and settled in areas around Detroit. It turned out many of them were from the north east areas near where I live in New York. Areas that are similar in climate and landscape. When they settled in Michigan they used the names of communities that they had lived in back east. Where my son lives is very much like upstate New York. If a storm is coming I can even call him and usually get an accurate 8 to 12 hour warning.
    You won't hear any trash talk about the Motorcity from me. In it's own way it remains very interesting and I look forward to enjoying what it has to offer for many years to come.

19. motoguzzi

motoguzzi
    from virginia

After 62 years in & around Detroit I got out. I wish all the best to those who remain but until we repeal NAFTA i'm pessamistic.

20. 57dodge

57dodge

Holy Hipsters Batman!

21. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Ryan - thanks for posting that. I grew up in and live in the suburbs of Detroit and work for GM as an engineer.

I am really inspired by the people in that little documentary. Here's hoping and praying they (we) are successful in bringing Detroit back to life. It truly is a wonderful place.

Mike

22. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Nah, it's more like people believing in the blue collar ethic that made Detroit great, at least from what I see... But feel free to keep bagging on people who have pride in the D, it's an easy target from the OUTSIDE...:D

Thanx for the post Ryan.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Hell yeah, I'll go!! I been trying to get a group together to go too the Henry Ford Museum on a Sunday morning... Meet up at BiG BOY'S on Michigan Ave. for breakfast and then head down to the Museum.... Anyone up for it???

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have only been to the autorama a couple of times but I love the place,if I ever get back I would LOVE to see alot more of it, it just facinates me, especially the efforts to restore some of the older buildings, long live Detroit!!

25. cool! what's the story with the buildings? the 24 year old said he has a 9 story building at his disposal how?
    seeing Johnny Noxville, when he is not stapling things to peoples asses, he appears like a regular guy. the videos changed my perception of both him and detroit.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So even Ryan refered to this talk of the big D as off topic. BULLSHIT!!!

Alexander Brothers

Dick Dean

Bill Hines

Connie Kalitta

Booth and Arrons

Jack Roush

Want some more big names that shaped what we love? Start fillin em in!!

This place sucks big time. The only reason I say that is because the media does. It really doesn't. More for us? Keep the rest out? No way. Outside of Detroit is what they used to call the richest sq mile in the US. It's north of here in areas like Bloomfield Hills and the like. More money per capita than anywhere else. There's so many high end cars in and around here that my whole career in restoration has it's roots in the locals, and that's nothing I'll ever hang my head about. Leno would kill to have what's hiding around here. There's an army of those folks doing things from the inside. They don't jump out and say "Hey! Look at me! I'm helping Detroit!" They just keep going. I've heard some of the discontent from them when shit gets bad but they all get over it. We're worth it. We're Detroit. Detroit has influenced an international industry, a way of doing things unique to the heydays here. I worked in the plants, as an employee and as a contractor laborer. Somehow I was seldom amazed. Just took it in stride that that's what we do here. My dear departed Mom cried when the Rotunda burned. She fought Detroit corruption to save our suburban neighborhood from becoming a sewage treatment area...AND WON!!

I live well south of there nowadays, and have no regrets. I have a lifetime of experiences and fond memories of the thing most here love, old hot rods. Socal ain't shit. Detroit rules and always has. Ask some of those surviving old gents I mentioned above, and ad a few more. Even Don Garlits lived here for a while. The list has to be monstrous, and I'm not including the founders of industry like Ford and Durant. Fill em in kids...

27. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

The BEST part of The D's bad rap, is that it keeps the pussies out. :cool:

I grew up in the 'burbs & have hung out in the city all my life. There has always been a ton of new ideas, art, music, & auto trends coming out of Detroit (and there still is)

C'mon out Ryan, you won't be disappointed. There are a load of us that would volunteer to show you around. You can bring the family too.

[​IMG]

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on bro. How about you're uncle's (?) speed shop? Hollywood Auto. Gratiot Auto Supply. The Ramchargers, then Ramchargers own speed shops. Mallory. General Kinetics cams. Kinsler Fuel Injection. Get that list goin! Or should that be it's own post? Hell no, do it here...

29. I kind of wonder...

People are venturing to the old places since rent/property are cheap. There is definitely some good architecture to be seen and utilized. The hoods are gone from those areas since the people and money are gone and the buildings have been trashed. Unless they can control the crime and corruption, when the people and money come back, guess what else comes back? You've got it...crime and corruption. The animals go where there's food.....it's just nature.

I wish y'all luck, I really do.

30. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Can't think of a better place than to breathe life back into the cars that made Detroit... Along with the clubs, artists and restaurants should be more and more iron and steel Rollin in the deep...

Stay Alive Detroit!