Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Daily Driver - An Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

The best part is you have another hot rod to drive. You also have the opportunity to learn how to do something you've never done before. Seems like it's not all bad. Good luck man, hope it's nothing serious.

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Soldier on, brother. I know what you mean.
    Still one of the coolest daily drivers I've ever seen.
    Hey... that rhymed. lol
    But I know how down time can be with an old daily. In a way I think it just adds to the soul factor.
    Hope your repairs go smoothly.

4. tick,tick,tick,,,,rev it up TICK,TICK,TICK,,been there and it's not that intimidating once you are guided throught it with someone that knows what to do. HRP

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

6. I too am looking forward to driving my A or hell even getting the54 back on the road as I lost the waterpump on my daily Ranger this weekend. I HATE working on late models.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is this a picture of your commute route??

[​IMG]

8. After you learn, maybe you can show me how to adjust them on my y-block. It's ticky like a sewing machine. Fourtunately it's not my daily (I'm not that cool.)

Good luck,
    Mike

9. Deadbird

Deadbird

Hey at least you have a bitchin' backup car.

10. Great story. My 63 Riv is my daily driver. I just put over 5000 miles on her last week. L.A. to Detroit and back home to L.A.
    For a number of years now i had to drive just a car. No excitement, No roar, No personality. Life was boring for a long time (as far as driving)
    Then I got the Riviera... The biggest thing now is watching out for bad California drivers. They are the WORST in the world.

Good luck and Happy motoring

11. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

Valve adjustment is easy if it has adjustable lifters: very much like an overhead with solid tappets.

If it's stock, that gets trickier. I'd be looking for something else, maybe a cam lobe going flat, or a galled lifter. Something that would shorten the stroke on that one lifter.

12. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

PRDDETROIT is right. We've driven our roaster all over the US, and LA/SF are the worst. Everyone is in one hell of a hurry. You start to notice when you get about 50 miles out of town. And the roads are crap as well: no money to fix them. Hell for hot rods.

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Hey Boss, not trying to rain on your parade...BUT...
    If you have been driving this thing everyday without any unusual lifter noise ( always some with mech. tappets ) and then you suddenly get a loud tick...
    I would bet something broke.
    I would recommend a very close examination, under strong lights, of every component in the valve train..valve tips, springs,retainers,keepers, etc,etc.....
    Good luck.
    Dave

14. I've been driving the '38 Pick-up daily,since getting it. LOVE IT! The only thing I miss about the 93 Chevy Pick-up is the air conditioning,especially last week when it was over 100deg! Nothing beats the looks you get driving an old car though. I think as the older generation passes on,there are more and more people who have never seen an old car and have no idea what it is or what year. The statement "we had one of those when I was a kid' is heard less and less!

15. Hexadox

Hexadox

I can really relate to this, I'm going through the same thing right now. My '61 laurentian is my daily and it is now ticking away. I've never done this before either and as much as I try I'm not a very competent mechanic, lol. Basically before I dive into anything I do a ton of research and can often be seen scratching my head while reading over all the manuals and reference materials I can get my hands on. I'll be tackling this one tomorrow night or wednesday night.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

my 54 isnt my daily, but it certainly could be after it got me 6000 miles in 18 days. with nary a trouble, excepting the vapor lock in western nebraska. it is a good feeling to pilot an old car where others fear to tread.

and something i have learned from some good friends here: nothing is too tough to do once you know how to do it. it's all just an education. and there is always a solution.

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Here's the way I see it, you may not like this but it's the truth. You have one of if not the best site in existence regarding Hot Rodding and another on the flat head Ford. You seem to nick and ding yourself and say I'm not and I have not before. Well that's not really acceptable, in order to be this guy that you want to be you have to step into the abyss just like the rest of us. If you want to be the guy who drives a 71 year old car to work daily you have to be the guy who is unafraid to deal with the consequences. This is the best part of it that you are into now, now you have a problem that you need to fix, anyone can drive an old car to work every day and enjoy not a problem in the world, the fun is when you have the excitement of the unknown, the challenge of a great puzzle or a mystery, now you are a hot rodder. Jump into the pool the waters fine and all your friends are here.

18. I think I recall a time that we all kind of got together and you were running a little late, something to do with Mr Lee as I recall. I don't remember all the particulars but it seems that you had to change a clutch before you came by. Now that's pretty damned inept. :rolleyes:

Get in there and let it make ya dirty buddy. You'll do just fine.

19. I drive my 1960 TRIUMPH Everyday and i just blew out the clutch...Every old thing I've seen made a weird sound or leaked something..Old Cars are like old people. You should have no problem working on the flathead.

Albie

20. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

C'mon, it's not like it's rocket surgery.

Nice tease to get us back after Labor day. Pictures and a blow by blow Ryan-esque commentary, please.

21. jonnycola

jonnycola

A wise guy named Tuck once told me that getting into this shit is like getting into a hot tub. You're stepping in... and once the initial shock is over, it's not so bad. Soon enough you're knee deep and you're like, hey... this shit is easy. Then the hot water hits your balls and the whole thing starts over again....

Biggest thing for me has been getting over the fear to try doing stuff I haven't done before. But it's all learning. Especially fucking up, thats when I learn the most.

You clearly know how to troubleshoot and diagnose things... I mean, look at this message board. Apply that same shit to working on that flathead and you can do no wrong.

22. A bad day driving an old car makes it a good day. Its good for the head and the soul and it's just plain cool.
    Good luck on the repairs.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Ryan, hope all goes well with your coupe. I had a 42 coupe for awhile and learned a few things about flatheads and 6 volt systems. This was when I lived in upstate N.Y. and I even drove it all winter one year, Sears WW bias plies and all. Started every morning as long as I had the charger on overnight! The tires were a little rough for the first mile or so, but it kept me awake at 4 dark 30. Good Luck, Cat

24. Anderson

Anderson

20 oil changes 8 months? Wow man, I can barely get myself to do one every 3 months...

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

No pain,no gain.If it doesn't kill you,it'll make you stronger,and all of the other sayings our fathers tell us when we're growing up.

26. This post not only motivates you, it motivates me. I drove my 38 to the HAMB drags, and on the way home the original 38 master cylinder started to go weak in the pedal. I got home safely, (barely) and after a day driving in 115 degree Texas heat, I shut the garage door in disgust and forgot about it.

Every wrench turned on this car has been a learning experience, since dad didn't leave a detailed owner's manual when he died. But I'm glad I have had the chance to learn in such a hands on manner, with the help of the HAMB and my uncles. Well, I guess I'm going out to the garage to figure out how to get that daggum master cylinder out!

Thanks, I needed that.

27. autobilly

autobilly

Just like your ol'lady, the best way to gain intimacy with an old car is to get in under the hood.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

New cars break down too. It ought to be a fun weekend! Three pals working on an old Ford together. That sounds like fun to me. If they give you any shit tell them to kiss your ass.:D

Don't talk yourself into being scared. You have thousands of friends to help out if necessary. We all started somewhere sometime. It's a learning experience. The only difference is that you won't be able to run down the street for the parts. Next week you will be a flathead mechanic.:D

Six months ago I couldn't spell mechanic...today I are one!:D

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Drove my '29 av8 daily (it was my only car) from the 11th grade in high school through the first two years of college. Looking back I can't believe I survived in Michigan with no heater. I just dressed warm and soldiered on. Since then snowmobiles have come into existance and it's not uncommon for those fools to cover 500 miles on a weekend at anywhere from 20 -80 miles an hour with a snowmobile suit and helmet (and an occasional quart of wine). So..............I guess you do what have to do to be involved in old cars................something the civilians will never know.

Frank

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  30. Thats great Fab32. I was born and raised in the Detroit area and drove nothing but old cars for years.

I just dont understand the idea of trailering or not driving something. Cars where made to drive especially old cars. Interior designed to make you feel at home or sporty interiors that remind you of race cars or jets for that matter. Engines that made your blood flow faster. There's nothing like the sound and tone of a good running V8 that almost seems to be happy or telling you "lets go" I understand car's that really aren't streetable but come on! Enjoy the open roads of America. Its fun to drive. And ya look cool doin it.