Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to lift a truck cab off the frame by yourself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparMan4GZUZ, Oct 19, 2008.

1. If any of you guys are like me and somehow find yourself all alone when you need 4 or 5 other guys to help you take the cab off your truck project again, maybe these pics will give you and idea of what you can do to do the job yourself. I got the idea from a friend in Canada when I went up to get a partial cab from him in preparation for chopping the top on my truck.

take a 2x6 or 4x4 that is longet that the width of the top of your cab upening, screw on a couple of 2x4 cross pieces that will fit just inside the cab door openings, drill a 9/16 inch centering hole on the underside of the crossbar. take your cherry picker (you have one, right?), turnb the front of the arm upside down, take the chain off and put a half inch blot thru the slot pointing upward and snug it down with a nut. run the cherry picker thru the windshield opening (make sure you have the glass out). attach your wooden crossmember you just made by sliding the half inch bolt into the 9/16 inch hole, jack the cherry picker up and it becomes a snap to remove and move your cab to where ever you want it. I added a brace to the 2x6 crossmember cause it flexed alot. pictures atached. thanks to Tom from Canada for the great idea and the permission to share it.

Attached Files:

68Dodge likes this.
  2. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

This shade tree came in handy for more than one use, along with 4 motorcycle tie downs and a chain fall!!

Attached Files:

3. blackout

blackout

More poor boy home build ideas...I took the doors off, bolted 2 pieces of angle to the floor, fixed 4 chains, and up we went.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Sweet, same but different. Bud

6. Concrete B

Concrete B

It's also possible to unbolt the body and shim it up for clearance until you can put stands under it, and roll the frame right out...works really well on cars with bags.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive been doing very much the same thing with a 28 Tudor Body..working alone can be a bitch sometimes, just be sure your being safe.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's some good homeboy enginering

9. jchav62

jchav62

Here's what my bro-in-law designed and built... some real Chicano engineering there! Works great... it's designed to used come-alongs, but we had to use ratchet straps that day.

Attached Files:

10. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Some pretty good ideas here. I might have the simplest and most po' boy though LOL....

Jack up the frame as high as you can with the body unbolted. Put jack stands under the rockers of the cab with wood over them to keep from tweaking the cab...

Once the cab is supported, lower the frame and roll it away. If the tires are too tall to slide under the cab, then take 'em off and put a floor jack or dolly under the rear end and drag it out.

Super po' boy... but it works and all you need is floor jacks and jack stands...

11. Mart

Mart

I used the same technique when I pulled my Tudor body:

[​IMG]

I did no prep whatsoever and lifted the body sucessfully more by luck than judgement!
    I like your centering bolt, though, I was looking at my cherry picker yesterday and thinking of making an extension (vertical to the arm), if I redo it I will post another picture.
    Mart.

12. Man, you guys like to work too hard (and dangerous). I just put eye-bolts in the 4 cab mount holes, ran a short length of chain from each one up to the hook on the end of my cherrypicker. Up, up and away! It's easier if you remove the doors, but not necessary-just stick the boom through the open window.

13. lol now thats funny. with all my stupid cousins i know there chicano engineering

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I waddled a '30 Tudor Model A body off the frame by myself, using a 2x4 through the window openings and balanced on my back. Later I realized I could lift the rear and set it on stands, then the front, then roll the frame out from under it. My back hurt for a few weeks after that. Now I have a chain hoist wrapped over a beam in my shop.

15. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

good idea. We hae a ginpole on the back of my dads truck that you hook a come-a-long to.

16. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

I was able to build an extension to my engine lift,and then made a frame to hook onto the cab with the doors partially open.Worked well and was restricted by my ceiling height in the garage.

Attached Files:

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

rpkiwi,

Do you have a photobucket (or similar) site that you can direct me to, to see more pics of your Willys pickup? I have a '62, and your truck looks AWESOME.

Thanks,

Chris

18. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

CJ pm me your e-mail if you are interested and i can send you some pics.I do not have a photobucket etc and was a little tentative posting that shot.I realise it is not Hambworthy but it was the best shot I had of my adapted lift.

19. Hope you don't get any big wind gusts in your area!

20. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

This is how I did mine.

Attached Files:

21. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

taking the body off my el camino gantry in front and air cond. condeser lifter in rear

[​IMG]

22. I attached a 4x4 across an existing rafter, attached 2 more vertically under the horizontal 4x4, and hung 2 chainfalls to the horizontal 4x4 (the chainfalls were FREE, that's why!). I put a 2x10 through the doors and put some 6x6 bocks on top to lift the cab a little higher.

The only problem so far is moving the Dakota under the 49 cab to fit them back together. You have to move the whole truck just to align it with the cab since the cab only moves vertically. If I were just pulling the cab off, it would work like a champ.

I did borrow a friend's engine hoist earlier tonight, so I'll have to try your method
    MoparMan4GZUZ!!! But it appears that the angle of the hoist through the window may not work. I may have to remove the doors and try again...

Attached Files:

23. [​IMG]

This is a good thread for me. After already fitting a 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed into my '59 F-350, I have decided I wish to to pull the cab for some body work, welding and painting of the cab. Trying the figure out the best way to do it.
    Some of these ideas are helpful. I'll post pics when i do mine too.

Steve
    Hosting-
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

24. Don't forget.... camper jacks work too :D

25. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

has anybody done a 49-54 chevy car? i was actually going to start a thread asking this but since one has already opened then what the hell!

26. rustyhood

rustyhood

I love this!!! just goes to show where theres a will theres a way!!!
    I raise mine with Budweiser.....Call the buddies over raise the body off Then tell the drunk bastards to leave before they cause more work for you! No dissasembly no storage space taken. ;)

27. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I have used the same method with the engine hoist. I also hang several rims with tires on the back side of the hoist to counterbalance it, especially if I extend the boom a bit..

28. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Hah,try doing a unibody Ford!

29. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

This is handy- I'll be removing a cab soon...

30. MBog

MBog

Outside I use a forklift and a long 4X4 between the door windows, inside, the same 4X4 and a block & tackle from the ceiling...