Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any suggestions to clean a heater core? Vinegar, etc.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've got a copper/brass heater core for an underseat heater from a '54 Buick.
    It's got some heavy green corrosion on it, and from the fur and little turds, I'm gonna just say it's from the mouse wizz, and not from any leaks. (for whatever reason, mice LOVE making nests in the housings)

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to soak the core in to clean it up? I'm going to clean it, straighten all the fins and have it pressure tested, since they aren't available new.

I'm thinking about something like a mild acid, like vinegar. Actually, I just thought about lemon juice too...

Suggestions or ideas?

-Brad

2. try baking soda.

3. iamspencer

iamspencer

bakin soda is a base vinigar is and acid, use baking soda and water

4. duste01

duste01

maybe alittle bleach to get rid of any health hazards.

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I know my friend had an air to water intercooler cleaned ultrasonically... he said tons of crap came out of it.

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Take it to a good rad shop and have them clean it, pressure check and repair as needed. I has my rad done and a drain added this spring reasonable and done properly. As an old man I have learned to pick my battles.

7. duste01

duste01

Key word there "good" radiator shop

8. Abomination

Abomination

Or combine them. :)

Seriously though, DO NOT combine them. NEVER combine an acid and a base - I was being funny. The last thing I need is for some dumbass to try it and point the finger at me. :D

~Jason

9. Abomination

Abomination

That is BADASS!

What in the hell ind of a shop did dude go to? I know they make ultrasonic cleaners that are big enough to do blocks with - I found several proposals online written and submitted to the GSA offering to clean blocks and parts for the military this way (eco-friendly). I thought I had a great idea, but I found out someone else was doing it!

Story of my life...

~Jason

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would try the citric acid deal first..its cheap..easy and disposable...lemons, orange..really Lime has the most Acid in it.,,
    let us know how and what you used.

11. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Any good radiator shop can recore ANY set of tanks!You might not get correct for year looking cores but they can be recored.Go-Dan industries can make you a custom core for ANYTHING.Any radiator shop can boil out the radiator for you.I don't think Rodding out a core is cost effective any more as the tanks need to be removed to do it so the labor is more than just putting in a replacement core