Register now to get rid of these ads!

The art of George Trosley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

My favorite artist. Got to meet him a few times, cool dude.
    When I was a kid all I wanted was to live over my garage like Krass & Bernie.

Trosely help to make me the degenerate car fanatic I am today.

3. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I've always loved his drawings and sense of humor.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. Krass and Bernie were my heros. I wore out my brother's CARtoons mags through the 80's...

5. always a favorite

6. CHOP 57

CHOP 57

* Love his work and sense of humor.

7. George is a real great guy and very down to earth person......been a fan for many years even, have a signed copy of one of his art books on the shelf from along time ago.

8. And he is a registered HAMBer. His Adult comics are even better ;)

9. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

If it weren't for Trosley's Hot Draw series, I would never have gotten into drawing cars. I learned a lot from Troz! Krass & Bernie were my favorites. I still hope to meet George someday.

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad used to get me every CARtoons mag he could find.

Krass and Bernie was always there with some Badass musclecar or kustom. Trosley was funny and talented, sure, but he was also dropping nuggets of car culture history and knowledge. He was hugely influential to me, and I'm sure countless others too. Thank you George! You are the man.

11. casper

casper

What an awesome talented artist, Trosley was always my favorite. I grew up reading Cartoons, Cycletoons, and Dragtoons. Thank you so much George !!!!!

12. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I couldn't wait to read the Krass and Bernie comic every month back in the 70's..George inspired me to draw cars and the "How To" series really improved my art..I never met the man,but his talents are truly exceptional..

Wasn't it every kids dream to live above the garage?? I still have that dream today.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

The best ever!!!!!

14. stovebolt55

stovebolt55

Loved CARTOONS and Krass and Bernie. That and Mad Magazine were my favorites as a kid of the '70's. :)

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I love everything he's done. His work in Hustler - top-notch funny!
    Krass and Bernie, all the Cartoons stuff.
    He's one of my favorite artists of all time.

16. weez

weez

A couple from my Dad's stash of Street Rodder / Custom Rodder Trosley stuff.

Attached Files:

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You and 50chevysuburban beat me too it, but yes, his adult only stuff is super funny. And imagine my suprise when I "graduated" from just Hot Rod, Street Rodder and Car Toons to find a very familiure type of cartooning in my "new" types of magazines!

All kidding aside, I think my favorite Trosley panel was in Car Toons in the early seventies involving a short man named Jaun getting his van painted to advertise his gardening business, only have the panels read "Little one's nursery"... Classic!

18. brjnelson

brjnelson

I do not know if it was in Krass n Bernie, but I remember as a 13 year old, looking at the "Ghost Rod" cartoon, I loved the way it was drawn, the curve of the frame as the car was leaping towards the heros in the comic.
    The "Ghost Rod" was a 33 or 34 Ford sedan delivery highboy with a chop, inner fenders, spindle mounts, dark windows and slicks....Now that I am 47 years old, I still want to build a car that looks like that.

19. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I would say he is a HUGE part of me ever even getting into cars. He used to have a one full page in HotVWs loved em. My dad was never even into cars, i was 14 when I picked up that first copy of HotVW's and always went to his page first then on. I only felt passionate to write a letter to a mag once, and it was after hot VW's stoped carrying his art.

20. D. Deal....now G. Trosley. Both great artists, & a huge influence on me!

21. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Thanks for posting up about two great artists in one week!! Very cool. I have a small pile of Cartoons at home in safe keeping. I agree with ToddJ that it would be awesome to meet him one day. I have emailed him before. Cool guy!!

22. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Weez, those are priceless! Thanks for posting them.

23. Those are awesome. Wow. Someone put up some of his stuff from Hustler.

24. grabrr

grabrr

I learned how to draw 3 window coupes from Car Toons, that helped me with the boredom of high school. I always loved the way he drew tires, nice and fat!

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A super BIG influence on me!..hero!

26. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

One of the best !! What's the scoop on his Hustler stuff ? Hopefully it's still car related

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope!!! Not for a family show...

28. Mercchev

Mercchev

Hustler stuff was classic...the art always looked familiar...

29. When I was a kid I lived for the new issue of Cartoons! one of my favorite Trosley strips was about a kid who got hooked on building models. when he became a teenager he graduated to building custom corvettes. His parents were relieved that he gave up his silly car hobby to go to med school. Upon his graduation his mother asked what kind of Dr. he would be? "what else; a PLASTIC surgeon!"

30. ThePontiacKid

ThePontiacKid
    from VA

That is very cool, dugbred!