Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Virtual top 100 Custom car show

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Rikster

Rikster

What... if you could organize a custom car show with your all time favorite custom cars in one building. No matter is they would be still around or not. I think I could list all 100, but here are 5 to start with. In no particular order... and because this is really hard I will pic the customs that have influenced me the most.

Barris Built '51 Hirohata Mercury

[​IMG]

Barris Build '40 Matranga Mercury

[​IMG]

Valley Customs built '49 Ron Dunn Ford

[​IMG]

Jimmy Summers built 40 Mercury convertible

[​IMG]

Ayala Built Louie Bettancourt Mercury (first light colored eddition shown here which I believe is the best of all versions)

[​IMG]

who's next?

2. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

Okay. How about Roth's Outlaw? And the Tom Daniel Red Baron. It was a Revell model kit, but apparently Chuck Miller built a real one too. And, can I throw in the '51 LeSabre concept? Some might disagree, but I argue that it is a custom. Harley Earl just happened to have more resources at his command than most customizers.

There are so many others, but these were the first to pop into my head.

3. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Rik,now this is what I call a kool topic and I hope Ryan will make an exception and not close it as it is tech week.This is THE topic we leadheads have been waiting for...

Here's my contribution.The Jesse Lopez Ford !!!

[​IMG]

Taildragger !!!

4. Curt Six

Curt Six

Geez...I could kill a whole day putting together my top 100 list. I'm sure all of the legends will be covered here, so here are a few more recently built customs that I think make the cut...

Billy Gibbons' Kopperhed, Squeeg Jerger's '41, and Rick Dore's '36...

5. DRD57

DRD57

6. mikes51

mikes51

That's an excellent page. Well worth visiting by any custom fan.

7. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

The earliest influence on me - custom wise - would be Duane Steck's Moonglow (show here in it's third version).

When I was but a pup, I remember finding an article which discribed him chopping it in his driveway and burning his hands on the plexiglass he had heated in his mom's oven as he fit it to the rear window opening.

That idea - design your own car - always stuck with me.

8. My favorite from Don's page...
    [​IMG]

No cartoony proportions, nothing added that doesn't need to be there, no cliche wheels. Don said he thinks the wheel covers are Lincoln, I think they might be '52 Buick.

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

by the way... that article about Duane Steck's Moonglow was in an OLD magazine I found in my cousin's room - I wasn't around when it was first appearing in magazine's. I'm old but I'm not THAT old.

The next custom that really influenced me would be Richard Zocchi's 39 Dodge.

In the early 90's at the Sac. Autorama, in amongst a sea of musclecars and other shit that didn't do a thing for me, sat THIS thing. I was dumbfounded - this thing was just too cool. My friends thought I'd lost my mind: "It's pastel peach for god's sake - ya sissy!" As they all wandered off to look at more camaros, I stared at this car for the rest of the night.

10. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

cleatus,I believe this is my favorite Zocchi Kustom.It really has nice proportions and I can't help it but just imagine the car painted some dark color...A friend of mine said as he first saw this car "...all you need now is a rose in your mouth ...":D

11. I don't have pics of two cars that come to mind for me, I know Lurker Mick does though, maybe he'll post some for us. But the cars are Lurker Mick's 40 Merc, and Larry Purcells 41 Ford. Both beautiful cars, that I believe were built when customs weren't much of a thought.

sled

12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Gee, great post Rik !
    Just popped in here while waiting to go to the Rockabilly Rave in England.
    Well, here we go with some more...

Sam Barris 1940 Mercury
    [​IMG]

George Barris 1941 Buick
    [​IMG]

Larry Ernst 1951 Chevrolet
    [​IMG]

Herb Ogdens 1941 Buick in Kurts version
    [​IMG]

Well, you know me... Just have to add one more of this...Nick Matrangas fabulous Merc.
    [​IMG]

Ooops, time flies and the Pina Coladas are waiting at the Rockabilly Rave bar,
    but I hope to see some nice cars here when I come back after the weekend!! :)

13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I know,we had this thread showing MANY pics of the Garcia built Valencia Chevy but this sled simply belongs here.At least the pics are new...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know,I have this "thing" for Mercs and Shoebox Fords but this Chevy here really makes me think about building one too...serious car !!!

14. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

that's perfect

The next car that really drove me over the top and made me a custom fool for life would be from about the same time period. D'Agostino's "Stardust" tribute to the Metranga Merc.

I dug it so much, I went home and painted a picture of it.

15. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

cleatus,the painting of the "Stardust" Merc looks nice !!! The Matrange Merc and all cars inspired by it really look sharp.There's nothing distracting to the eye on a well done '40 Merc and I somehow believe it's the perfect Kustom.

Anyway,here's another favorite of mine.Glassguy's '51 Merc.What Dave did on this car is truly amazing !!! The transformation from an "ugly" and stock 4-door Mercury to the evil,wicked,mean and nasty hammered Merc shown below !!!

[​IMG]

16. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

There are two that would be on my list, simply because I like the direction the builders/owners went.

One would be the 36 Cole is building, and the Chevy convertible shown below.
    You may recognise it.

I would, also, include Cleatus' chevy coupe, but do not have current pic of it.
    What cleatus is doing with that car, is what I would like to have done.

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Totally agree. Perfect lines & proportions

Jim C, thanks for the props. Look for a post next week (when I have more time) showing current photos of yet another restyle of my front sheetmetal.

18. DrJ

DrJ

I don't have pictures but I'd include Winfield's The Jade Idol, Wilhelm's Mark Mist, The first rendition of the Barris Golden Sahara, before the fins , and Cushenbery's Matador.

If Roth's cars are considered "customs" (I like them but they aren't exactly customized production cars, neither is MisterEarl's design prototype Le Sabre, they are one off show cars or "kinetic sculptures") I'd also include Dean Jeffries Mantaray and Cushenbery's Silhouette bubble car.
    Starbird's Predicta and Futura belong on the list also!!!

19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

When I think of Cole's '36; I think this car will end up, if it not already there, as being remembered as one of the all time greatest cutoms.

I think it is up there with all mentioned, kinda like a 2000's Hirohata merc.

20. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Ed Ohanasien, Ray Vega, Etc....

21. OldSchoolObee

OldSchoolObee

Here ya go...http://img216.exs.cx/gal.php?g=redbaron38vw.jpg

22. mikes51

mikes51

There are good pics of the customs from that era at Gustavson's website:
    http://www.customclinic.com/fullcust/Winfield/winfield.html

[​IMG]

23. daign

daign
    from socal

39 Zephyr out of Japan:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bo Huff:
    [​IMG]

Flake so thick you could eat it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. daign

daign
    from socal

Some more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This car rubs me right:
    [​IMG]

For nostalgias sake:
    [​IMG]

Great thread btw. I wish we'd spend more time talking about em.

25. Kommuter

Kommuter

I think this is what you're looking for...

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great post!!! four that should be on the list....

Happy Trails,

Mick

27. Rikster

Rikster

DrJ, here is your picture of the Jade Idol. Wonderfull custom

[​IMG]

And here is another entry from me. Paul Bragg's 51 Mercury convertible

[​IMG]

J.B's 40 Merc perfect from every angle, but this must be my favourite one. That chop by Wolf is pure art.

[​IMG]

Bertilluci built '47 Cadillac
    [​IMG]

Sam Barris '50 Buick. One of the best chopped tops ever.

[​IMG]

And... this perfect '40 Merc bring all the good styling from the 40's/50's custom years combined with modern techniques and element. Harry Bradley designed this rolling art. (photo my Dave Lindsay)

[​IMG]

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Somebody please post a pic of Donald Antonellis 53 Merc after it was chopped on the cover of Rodding and Restyling in 58.(ice Blue) Ultra sleazy!

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great thread, and many fine nominations so far. I'd put the Buster Litton Ford at the top of the list; I'm embarassed that I don't have a picture to post.

Among recent cars that have not yet been mentioned, I think that both Cadzilla and Scrape belong in the top 100.

30. 6sic6

6sic6
    from Spfld, MO

Great thread, I'll keep my eye on this one. ;)