Register now to get rid of these ads!

27 Lakes Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cball, Jun 1, 2007.

1. cball

cball

Does anybody know if the company that put together a decent kit (based on a 28/29 cowl) from the website realhotrods.info is still around? Or if you know of any other companies putting together a package for a Lakes Modified Roadster?

2. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Hi,
    I was/am one of the co-owners of Real Hot Rods. We stopped making the kits as I went back into teaching. The other co- owner is also on the HAMB, under the name of FASI. Contact him with regards to any parts and pieces that are left.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

3. cball

cball

either 27 or 28/29. It is the type of car that I am looking for not year. Thanks, any other companies or do you know of that website I listed that is no longer? R&C did a build on one of the cars from that company about 2 yrs ago, maybe more.

4. cball

cball

Anyone else know of any other companies?

5. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

6. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Why build a kit, there's still a lot of the real stuff out there. Besides you can probably build two for what a kit will cost.

7. 2002p51

2002p51

Stewart,

How the hell are ya? You and I talked on the phone at length one day just before I took delivery of my kit. We're now into our third summer since we finished it and it's been a lot of fun. You might remember doing our frame because ours is the only one that was set-up for a flathead.

It's very un-H.A.M.B but we love it.

Drew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Why would that car be "un HAMBable"?

9. 2002p51

2002p51

Well, let's see. Where should I start?

It's a kit.
    It's fiberglass.
    Most of it's parts came from a catalog.
    It has disc brakes on the front.
    It has an alternator.
    It has (gasp) an electric fan!

:)

Everything that some of the more narrowly focused on here rant about.

On the plus side, it's got a flathead, bias plys, and we think it's cool.

Somebody farther up the board asked; why build from a kit?

Not everybody can weld, or have access to a great shop in which to fabricate stuff. So we think a kit is a viable alternative to still being able to have a hot rod. I've been called a gold chainer to my face, but if you knew me you'd know that nothing could be further from the truth. Even though this is a kit, I "built it". My knuckles bled, I threw wrenches across the garage from time to time, I got sweaty and dirty.

I'm proud of it and we drive the crap out of it.

10. I wouldn't worry too much about the "narrowly focused" on the HAMB. Generally I think the majority of them are just a very vocal minority. Your modified is just fine!

Charlie

11. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

For those who live anywhere near Chicago, Illinois, there's Lion's Hot Rods in McHenry, Illinois. they're very skilled engineers, and have a long track record of builds. I'll post their website address just as soon as I can find it. In the mean time, here's the phone number: 1-815-344-1158. ask for Jim Unruh.

12. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Addendum: If you can find me a REASONABLY priced body of any kind that not a total rust bucket, I'd be glad to buy it! In the mean time, I'll go with the glass that's built in a style that you'd swear was a real steel henry original even if you were standing right next to it! Case in point: I just sold a 26 T Roadster that 99% of the people that complimented it thought it WAS a Henry original! My 2 cents only.

13. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Drew, I think your car is great, I wasn't ragging on kits, I priced 'em before I built my modified ( the one in my avatar ) just couldn't afford one. My garage is the size of a nice walk in closet, I do almost all of my work out in the driveway, no fancy shop here.

14. 2002p51

2002p51

That's okay, I actually get a laugh out of the anti-kit types on here.

I'll tell you the truth, we normally could not have afforded to do something like this either, and we sure couldn't afford to do it again. But we found an easy way to get the money (legally):) and so we had the budget to see this project from start to finish.

To get this thread back on track,

This kit from Real Hot Rods was outstanding. It was really well engineered and the construction is all first rate. It took me about six months to build it. The guys from Real Hot Rods gave me great support and answers to questions were never more than a phone call away. The finished car is much roomier and more comfortable than a T bucket, or a Zipper, and it's not as common as a '32 highboy. It's a real shame that they're no longer being made.

I'm told (and Stewart, please correct me if I'm wrong) that they only sold 18 of these kits. Ours was the ninth, and the only one that wasn't set-up for a small block Chevy.

Counting ours, I've seen three finished cars in person, and three more of them in photos. I have no idea how many, if any, of the others ever got finished.

15. 2002p51

2002p51

Here's another car built from the same "Real Hot Rods" kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was at the L.A. Roadster show in '05.

Rod & Custom Magazine also built one of these.

And if anybody cares, here's the link to the entire construction of our car in photos:

http://public.fotki.com/2002p51/our_hot_rod/our_hot_rod/

16. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Those kits are cool. I'm beginning to wish they were still available.

17. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Your just saying that cause you have one too. Ok yours is different but you like mods..
    Just messing with ay Charlie
    Dave

18. lionshotrod.4t.com should be the web address. Jim is a good guy to deal with. If you go to his shop, pay very close attention to the directions.

19. 1dean32

1dean32
    from California

There is a company in California "Phantom Streets" that is building an all steel 28/29 Modified. i have seen pictures of the car and it looks cool. The only way to contact is through e-mail [email protected] I think is the link hope this helps.

20. There is a company out of Delores Co that sells a modifided 29 roadster pickup body (longer and wider)and its made of steel. You can buy it with ModelA style frame or Deuce frame.. The name is Last Refuge Hotrods 866 882 2749 or 970 739 1965
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008