Register now to get rid of these ads!

The AZTEC California trip – Barris Exhibit –

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rikster, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

The NHRA Wally Parks Motorsport Museum will open a great exhibit on George Barris on July 11th. The exhibit will cover a great part of the custom car history of George Barris and Barris Kustoms.
    The Exhibit will include an amazine photo collection, memorabilia, posters, models and a selection of Barris Built Custom Cars.

Among the Barris built Custom Cars that will be at the Exhibit will be the R&C Dream Truck, The Hirohata Merc, the Sam Barris 1949 Mercury(which will not be ready for the opening but will join the exhibit as soon as it is completed), The Emporor, Blue Danube clone, Matranga clone, the Aztec and several others.
    There will also be a selection of my Kolorized Photos of Barris Kustoms in Large format at the exhibit... which makes me very proud!

A ful Press-release can be downloaded here:
    http://www.barris.com/news/images/barris_exhibit_pressrelease.pdf

Barry Mazza was infited to bring his restored Aztec to Californai especially for the Exhibit.
    Two weekends ago the Aztec was picked up in Florida by a huge transporter that took the Aztec with 5 more cars on its trip to California. A drive that would take over a week. Barry was quite nervous since he stayed behind in Floriday, on the phone with the driver every day to find out how his Aztec was doing.

Monday Morning the car arrived at the Museum in perfect condition. Back in California where it was built by the Barris Crew so many years ago. Rose
    Dickinson, from the Museum, took the photos of the Aztec fresh out of the trailer right before it was driven inside the Museum garage.... Lucky Greg!!!

Photos from the Aztec getting onto the trailer.... (photos by Barry Mazza)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo by Kustom Buick
    [​IMG]

The Aztec right after it was driven of the trailer on the side of the Museum. (photos by Rose Dickinson)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg Sharp carfully drives the Aztec to the Museum garage....

[​IMG]

I wish I could make it out there to see these great Barris customs and all the other great Barris memorobilia at this Museum Exhibit... but I dont think I can make it. But for all other Custom Car enthusiast... this one is not to be missed..., and for those who go, please take plenty of photos for those who cant make it out there.

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

awesome, thanks for the pics man. Kustoms rule

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wish i could see that exhibit,,,,probably hasn't been that many barris cars in one place since the 50s,,and to think this is just a handful of the cars built by barris,,,,,,,there were so many cars completely or partially built by them,,,,,so many famous kustomizers, stripers, etc got their start or worked at barris,,,,,when you think about it, it's really incredible the impact barris had on kustoms,,im sure this thread will bring out the know it all george barris bashers...the ones that insist sam was the one with ALL of the talent,,,but the way i see it, they worked as a team,,,they were worked smart.......they focused on their strong points..and turned out many kustom "icons", luckily many survive today for us to enjoy..i hope some hambers go there and post some pictures for us to see..

4. I agree 100%.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Very well said Jim!

And bttt

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I also agree with you Jim.

This has got be an awesome display to see...some one please post some pictures for us. Thanks

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was lucky enough to see the Aztec in person this last Feb when I was in Florida. Incrediable car. I too wish I could make the trek to CA to view them all under one roof.

8. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

been waiting for the right exibit to get me out there, this one is it.
    I,ll be there!

9. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Man ! That will be a great exhibit ! :eek:

Barry Mazza is really a great guy ! If that beauty was mine, i would never let someone else drive it ! neither a truck driver, nor a museum employe...even if they have called it the Sam barris exhibit ! ...yes i'm one of those " George sucks " guys ! For me George is as good as Joe Bailon...and that's not a compliment !:D

10. Crankhole

Crankhole

I'm lookin' forward to this one. And only 10 minutes from home.

11. Flatattack

Flatattack

Great thread Rikster. I just returned from the US with X38 and we were dissapointed that we didn't get to see the Barris exhibit as they still had the 32 Ford display on there. They certainly put on a great display though and I'll be watching in anticipation for photo's.

On the flip side, I met Ron Mangus at the LARS and he invited us out to his trim shop after he found out I was a trimmer. When we walked in we were floored to see the Sam Barris Merc in there about to be upholstered.
    It is stunning in person and has had a brilliant restoration. To touch it, sit in it and think about the significant part it played in the history of the custom car was indescribable.

But words can't describe what it meant to accompany Ron to his upholstery supplier and assist him in picking out the right material for it :cool:

12. eric

eric

AWESOME!!!:eek: i'll be sure to take tons of pictures!!!!

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is going to be badass. hey Rik are you going to be able to see the exhibit in person?

14. TomH

TomH

Well if I got my dates right, the display will still be on during the GNRS in 2008, and I plan on being there!!

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Barry's one stand up, humble individual.

16. KoppaK

KoppaK

If I was lucky enough to be the owner of the Aztec there is no way I would trust transporting it across country, I shit my pants when my POS went in a container for Finland, should have driven it.

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    (Quote)
    "If that beauty was mine, I would never let someone else drive it!
    neither a truck driver nor a museum employe"

I'm really glad that Barry doesn't hold this feeling and has chosen
    to share "his " treasure with the rest of the world. Art, be it a
    painting, music or a kustom automobile was ment to be enjoyed!
    That's tough to do, hidden in a storage vault, sea container or
    someone's garage.
    I say good for you, Barry!

Swankey Devils C.C.

18. Rikster

Rikster

Dave Lindsay of SoCalCarCulture.com has been to the opening of the show.... and took some really great photos.

here are a few of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the master himself with some of his fantastic graftsman/friends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the suposts would need to remove me from that showcase window at the end of the day... We need close ups of those!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the rest of Daves fantastic album here:

http://public.fotki.com/wackydave/cruise_nights/cruise-nights-2007/07-11-07-nhra-twili/

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

looks like heaven!!

20. Chad s

Chad s

Wow, thats an amazing exhibit. Thanks for the pictures, Rik and Dave!

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow I Wish I Was There.

22. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Fantastic pics and post! The Hirohata and Aztec look stunning!

23. customfc

customfc

Wow, fantastic exhibit.
    The cars look spectacular, and that showcase would take a week to study.
    Only problem is I will not get over to see it and I am sitting here thinking about what I am missing.
    Regards
    Alex

24. Rikster

Rikster

My good friend Rob Radcliffe went over to the Museum on Saturday and took a lot of photos... WOW. what a great exhibition. Cool memorobilia and very nice photos in the show cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will soon have a album with over 100 photos of the Exhibit online....

I'll post a link here.

25. Wonderful!!!
    How I wish I was there...

26. Rikster

Rikster

27. SICBOY

SICBOY

the wife and i had to get out of the house today, so we took a trip the nhra museum it was awesome, :cool:

28. Sailor

Sailor

Damn! Looks to be the ultimate exibition!

Also I got to say Im 100% with what kustom7777 said regarding Barris. Im tired of the Barris=bad taste speach. They made some truly stand-out cars and had a large role in making the kustom cars phenomena what it is today.

29. awesome pictures. The Hirohota merc looks so subtle compared to the aztec.