Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memories of the Oakland Speedway & Stadium

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Jay those are awesome. My grandfather raced Oakland pre war in big cars. I have a few pics from him I need to scan and share them one day. Before the War he was an Oakland hoodlum in the 30's, went to Oakland tech. The only name my grandmother can remember in a guy named Dick Barone in Alameda whos house they used to hang out at and build cars. Like many vets he came home started a family and never played with cars again.

3. I had no idea there was circle track racing in bay area as early as 1932. Very Cool! Thanks for sharing the racing programs.

4. Jive-Bomber Jay - cool stuff ... please thank your buddy Ron for allowing you to share his racing program covers with us!

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A few shots of Oakland Speedway from the 30s. The last one is Troy Ruttman in the Malloy sprinter from the early 50s. Note the extension on the r/r hub, this allowed him "ride" the rail and not hook the wheel.

Attached Files:

• ok1.jpg
      ok1.jpg
      File size:
      227.1 KB
      Views:
    • ok2.jpg
      ok2.jpg
      File size:
      134.5 KB
      Views:
    • ok3.jpg
      ok3.jpg
      File size:
      278.3 KB
      Views:
    • ok4.jpg
      ok4.jpg
      File size:
      273.8 KB
      Views:
    • ok5.jpg
      ok5.jpg
      File size:
      116.6 KB
      Views:
    Stogy likes this.
  6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Stunning. I am amazed. Love the typography. All before i was born. 1932! WOW.Slim

7. My friend and family member Jerry Hill raced at Oakland Speedway in the 1950's.
    Jerry was a hired driver and would race anything for anybody.
    Jerry's good friend, none other than Gene "Windy" Windfield would go with Jerry to Oakland to help out.
    At the time, Gene was more of a drag racer... and Jerry the oval track racer and biker.
    Jerry also found his way onto the drag strip with his souped up Harley...
    Jerry used to say that you could go into the corner with your foot flat on the floor (I am assuming at the 2nd version of the Oakland speedway) and hit the turn at 100mph. The banking was so great that the car would just hit it and ride it around like a bob sled!
    Sadly... Jerry is no longer with us. I miss his stories and his freindship.

Sam

8. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Those photos and film are way cool.Thanks for posting them.

9. seatex

seatex

Damn, it's just amazing that this stuff still exist. Thanks for sharing, JB

10. Here is one from my Dad's box of goodies :)

Attached Files:

11. Cool picture lifted from October 1950 Motor Trend mag

Attached Files:

12. Bob Abrew

Bob Abrew
    BANNED

I do not know how many of you know it but they raced motorcycles at the Oakland Stadium also. I still have a couple of my Dad's trophies. He said the guys that could ride would try to ride up to the wall when it was a banked track. At least that's the way he told me and I damned well better believe him, and I did..

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

old thread but, still Cool info