Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1948 Hudson Coupe Chop and Photoshop Request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Before I get chastised and strung up for considering chopping a Hudson, at least give me the opportunity to see what this coupe would look like if that were to be done.

I'd like to see perhaps a 2 - 3 inch chop, slanted B pillars and a slightly greater chop in rear to keep a proper flow. Also, the car would be lowered in front and a bit more in the rear for a proper taildragger stance. If you can photoshop a color on there, that would be appreciated. I'm also thinking wide whites with a a four or three bar type hubcap.

Just a side note, I did request a photoshop on the ultimate photoshop thread, but received some criticism for considering a chop. Many here on the hamb have done a nice tasteful chop,so I would just like to see it's possibilities. There was a very nice post of someones rendition, but unfortunately it didn't include the slanted B pillar.

One of my favorites is the 49 hudson in black known as "phantom." I think that model may be a brougham rather than a coupe, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. THEKID49

THEKID49

3. MOguy

MOguy

3" chop and lowered, but obviously the paint and wheels are not changed.
    [​IMG]

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

nice Merc,don't chop it!:D

why the hell would anybody work on on Hudson??:D
    here's one Marv did of mine{no chop}

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. captmullette

captmullette

they are already chopped.............................

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

MoGuy, THAT is sa-weet! And even I don't normally advocate chopping a step-down.

You will ALWAYS get Hudsonadoes who say leave it alone. But it can be done tastefully. AND, it can be screwed up terribly. You're right to try PhotoShopping options before taking the laser cutter out.

I'm surprised you didn't see any decent chops on the thread you mentioned. I could have sworn Hudsons have been a subject. JamesD is THE man to talk to there.

7. THEKID49

THEKID49

3in is too much. It makes the body look to big. I planned my chop for about 2 years before the first cut was made. On a coupe, if it is not planned out, the roof will get way to short.

8. druids62

druids62

I can't help you out with a photoshop request,(heck, I can't even post a picture for my avatar) but you certainly have a great vehicle to build a cool custom! If you can't decide on a direction to proceed and your ready to move on to another project, I'll be in AZ on thursday to take it off your hands.:)

9. hudson48

hudson48

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

11. 22 track

22 track

12. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Studhud's ride after the wack.

[​IMG]

13. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

hmm

Attached Files:

14. To me, the Hudson Brougham two-door lends to a far better chop job than a coupe does. Look at the pics right above!

I would chop a Brougham way before a coupe, as the overall proportion on the Brougham just plain looks good chopped!

15. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I watched your thread and the chop and I think you nailed it...
    Great job on your car and all that goes with it. I just didn't want to do a direct copy and am trying to think a little out of the box.

16. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I do like the chop that kept the roof in its full length and dropping the window down rather than moving the whole back portion of the roof and package tray forward. On the coupe, it seems like the roof needs to stay as long as possible.

17. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i agree!^^^ the deck lid on our coupes starts to look awaaayyy to long,--chuck

19. llewellyn

llewellyn

Hi all. Just my ideas. The car will become a 2 door for sure. As far as a roof chop goes ,i am leaning towards nill at the front piller and about 1 1/2 in at the rear pillar . This is because the top window frame of the front door runs up hill and down again towards the back. By bringing the front part of the door frame to level ,it will dictate how much the back is chopped aprox 1 1/2in or a little more. I have laid this out with masking tape reproducing the new roof gutter line and window line to get an idea of how it would look unfortuntly i failed to take pics. The new roof line looked quite good as it only shortend the back window area by a small amount. Doing the chop this way should save the job of having to cut and taper all the pillers inwards . There is a small amount of misalignement at the rear of the roof, this would be overcome by by slicing the roof up about 3in in a line parellel to the gutter and re contouring this. For the front screen a chop of 2in seemed to look nice, this is done by extending the roof bringing down the top of the opening only,adding more to the choped look. To continue on with the proportions,i read that someone dad lengthend their doors by 8in. So working on that i also laid out a new profile for the front door sloping the b piller foward ,again anly 1 1/2in . Next came the rear side windows. I would keep the same rear radius as on the rear 1/4 windows, this area would have to be moved foward. Thus resulting in a shorter rear side window as compaired to the front door glass area,overcoming the hurst/ coffin carrier look that some chops have. Now i realize this is my idea on converting a 4 to 2 door with a roof chop, but some of the idears could apply to your coupe . If not then i would advise you to get some masking tape and lay out the changes you want to make stand back take a look .If you dont like or are unsure re tape re look ,take pics of all your layouts so you can refer back to them.You will get to a design when all of a sudden you can picture it in your mind that is when you have found the rite chop for you. Hope my ramblings help. sorry i dont have photo shop.
    thanks
    llewellyn

Attached Files:

20. Very subtle chop...

[​IMG]

21. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thanks James D.....How much would you estimate was removed in inches?

22. Ummm... about this much...

[​IMG]

23. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

..haha, I just sent the same thing (via PM), there's not much more we can say than 50% transparency does

24. I missed your post. Seems like we did almost exactly the same thing, give or take!

Internet high five!:D

25. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thank you gentlemen. What would we do without the HAMB....

26. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'd call that an inch or so up front and perhaps as much as two inches toward the rear? It's a lot of work for a seemingly small return, but it'll look better than slammed down too low.

27. 51ChevPU - I dig the coupe. It looks pretty nice and complete as a starting point.

There are a few of us on here who have chopped Hudsons, with some success. Years ago, when I was considering a chop on my Brougham, I collected photos of every chopped Hudson I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, there were plenty of horrible examples, and few good chops at that time.

These days, thankfully, there are a few more nice chops out there to model your haircut after.

In my opinion, when it comes to chopped stepdown Hudsons, a mild chop flows the best.

Since your car is a coupe, I'll point you towards "THEKID49" 's chopped coupe. He pretty much set the bar on a perfect coupe chop. He's already commented in this thread, but here's a link to his chop thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542232

Hudson48's chop was a 4door to 2 door conversion, and is absolutely beautiful.

Studhud's Brougham is also a killer chop on a Brougham. His car has a different rear window than mine, and has slanted B pillars. He also swapped out the windshield for a cut down 54 unit. If I reember correctly, his car is chopped 2.5 inches at the B pillar.

My chop was done a few years ago. I cut 2 inches out at the B pillar, and slid the entire top forward a bit, dropping the rear window a bit and then filling the tulip panel above the trunk. Granted, my car and studhud's car are both Broughams, but you get the idea.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And in case you want to look through an old thread that details the chop portion, check out this link:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236046

28. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Hudsoncustom

You have just provided an excellant perspective on the shop of a step down Hudson. Also,I have reviewed all of your cars and chop posts just so that I can stay on track.

I would agree that TheKid49 has set the standard for the coupe. If I do the chop, I think that's the direction I'll take it.

My first preference was a Brougham, but when the coupe came along, I grabbed it since I had already had a 51 four door.

I'm looking forward to the build since you simply don't see many around and I tend to like them better than the merc.

Thanks for the helpful comments!

29. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

hudsoncustom

i must have read all your threads 10 times! that car is pure sex! & the idea of using VW wheel opening is cool,i batted that idea around before i picked up some stock skirts--chuck