Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Kids...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Kids........

Attached Files:

2. Zaq

Zaq

Nice read.
    Being a part of the young crowd (21) this hits close to home.
    I dont cuff my pants, but I have a small pompadour (and will stay small, not a fan of the huge cartoon pomps), and I do love tattoos, only a half sleeve right now, but soon to be all the way down my arm, with vintage rockabilly and hot rod stuff.
    So I guess I kind of fit into that crowd, but I feel like I can get along with the older crowd..
    Atleast the ones who can understand the fact that Im into the same things they are weather Im doing it the "right" way or not....

3. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Only woman the Impala ever got me was my wife, simply because her twin boys loved it. I'm not sure I have ever met a girl my age that gave two shits about a car that wasn't brand new and maybe foreign.

Hotrodding is for the young? Shit, I'm gonna stay this slow forever (I realize it, too. Diapers, the electric bill, and all of that crap take precedence). At least all my cars have two doors and three pedals.

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

AMEN. I agree wholeheartedly. I may grow older but I never will grow up. Today I spent the morning stripping down one more flathead to rebuild it this winter. Would write more but at 68 I gotta go take a leak too.

5. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

this is a great article.

6. BStoltz

BStoltz

each generation gets to carry the torch in their own ways whether it was the greasers back then or the rockabilly tatoo generation of now. So long as each new generation respects those of the past and carries on the tradition of hot rodding is all that matters. Better than having the hot rod scene die out and everyone stuck driving a stupid a$$ prius.....

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

All this stuff is like reading a book,a dream I never lived.I'm 64 now and growing up in NJ near NYC there were no 30's hot rods,like zero.I saw them in the magazines,the greased hair and rolled up jeans were my older sister's generation.Lots of fast cars but they were later sedans and the early muscle cars.My dad wanted to move his jukebox business to California and for awhile I thought the dream was gonna come true......But it never happened.............. .

8. chevy3755

chevy3755

good read.......

9. Bodger45

Bodger45

Back when I was a youth living at home. My dad would always laugh at my cuffs and say "we never wore our cuffs like that!" that is until I found a picture of him and his brother sporting some more than 3" cuffs. Guess he forgot.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess if you were take this gig as only hotrodding, that's probably pretty much right. To me, it's never been to just make more power or be faster. It's always been a sense of style. I'm as much a rodder as a kustom type. I love frosty-frenched-chopped-tuck n rolled cars. I love front engine dragsters. But what I love about a gennie FED is the vision and talent to make it as pretty as it is fast. Think about that hand formed aluminum body. That frame. It's just as exciting to me as a dead on pure kustom. And the builder is the one "those guys" in the topic seem to emulate at times, or at least try to.

jimgoetz likes this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm getting old, but still young at heart. Perhaps the young guns just think I'm a stuffy old man when they see me? Not many kids want to hang out with their old man, eh? The only stuff that really bugs me these days is pants below the ass. As a kid, I only wore cuffed jeans at certain times. I didn't do it because it was cool, but because my mom bought our pants a little fat in the waist and long in the legs so, what with the hot water washes and our growing, they would fit properly in no time. Besides, I got sick of all the dirt and crap that falls into them, so why roll them up? But I did a year or three of Brylcreem before the surf scene and the Beatles came along and made "natural" hair a lot cooler. Gary

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  12. I have the same dreams & wants. Just fatter & older. BTW I'm on the left in the pic & the 48 was my ride 3/4 race engine. circa about 1952.

13. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Too many folks forget the simple fact that:

Growing old is manditory...

Growing up is OPTIONAL!

14. I've made it past my 70th birthday and my old body don't let me do what I used to do, but I still want to. I once made the statement to Breeder about this type of subject, it concerned the kids with pompadores, tats,and the like. I said then and I'll say it again, if I were growing up in this generation I would probably be right in the middle of what the kids are doing now. I did the rolled up Levis, the cigs in my shirt sleeve which by the way was a white T. I had the D A hair cut and did most of the bull shit that hoodlums of our time did. Raced cars on the street and generally raised hell. Made it O K though. I have always had a passion for cars, bikes and girls, not in that particular order.
    Time marches on and kids are going to be kids, just in a different generation.
    Later,
    Dick

15. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think I'm getting worse with each passing year.

16. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

Last winter...

[​IMG]

Not to many kids I know really like hot rods.. Good read though, I liked seeing all the other photos.

35cab and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. lowerod

lowerod

Even though i am 50 when the time comes to leave this earth in my head i will only be 18 trouble is i will still have unfinished dreams...............................They will be still sitting in the garage.(Bummer).

18. 37cevy4dr

37cevy4dr
    from Louisiana

The picture is absolutely great. I could almost tell you their names. I was 13 riding my bike to see a girl I liked when I saw my first street rod, a 40 Ford Coupe. I watched it roll by and made a promise to myself that one day I would have one of my own. Drove a 55 Merc in High School, then came Nam and a 4 year vacation. Met my wife on vacation and finally when I was in my 30s found a 37 Chevy. Man you should have seen the smiles when the boys and I rode it down the drive way and back up sitting on real bucket seats (5 gallon versions). We all had a great time with the car then it sat for a few years because of work and no time.
    Now I am 65 years old and I hope to drive it again before I die. But due to the economy and lack of money it is taking a lot longer than I planned, plus I can not work till 1AM and get up for work the next day like I did before. I still plan on driving it, I think the grand kids will enjoy it a lot. They come out to the shop and want to know, "How much longer Pap Paw?"
    Oh yeah, the rolled up cuffs, they were the style. A lot of jeans did not come in lengths that would allow you to keep from rolling them up. Levis came out with the wide variety of lengths that would let you buy just the correct length so you did not have to roll them up. That is if you could afford the Levis, 3.00 was a lot for jeans.
    Could not have written a better piece I loved it.

19. rschilp

rschilp

Awesome read.

My oldest son and his friends are those kids.

Their cars are a bit different, they drive what is cheap, fast and available now.. but they respect the older stuff and are eager to learn, not always ready to listen, but always willing to learn.

It's great working in my shop with my son next to me and seeing the spark in his eyes I had 20 something years ago working next to my dad. I often wish my dad lived closer (he's 5,000+ miles away) so the 3 of us could wrench on our projects together.

20. Great way to start the week. One of the best posts of the year.

21. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Not one Fat Guy in those photos!

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What a wonderful photo... Really nice composition and exposure.

23. Some would ask are they all hot rodders? I believe so, and agree that the guy that owns the car is the guy sitting on the fender, however, I think the guy that does the core work on it is the 2nd guy in (who's own project sits in the corner as he rarely has time to git it sorted, and agree that he's the 'troubled one'), the 3rd guy is the 'all-rounder', although his parent's bought him a new 57 corvette (girls love him, guys are torn with jealousy and admiration in the same breath), the last dude, he's alway's been stuck in the shadows, but, the guys who 'have' it going on, all embrace him as a brother, as he's been there since the were 'kids' growing up.....(one of life's twists of irony)

"I'm a teenager, but with decades of experience...."

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hot rodding. The only true time machine. Shut up, sit back and just enjoy the ride.

25. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

26. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

They were still growing teen agers and their parents still had fresh memories of the Depression. The pants legs were left long so the jeans could still be used as the young men got taller. From the looks of the car I would guess the picture was taken in 1950 to 1954 and they would be in my age group. The car has a "California tilt".

27. Great article! As a past and present participant in punk rock, tattoos, and hot rods, I am watching myself no longer be 'the young guy'. With any culture that has it's roots in youth, it doesn't even take a full generation before people are angry that the young guys are 'doing it wrong'.

I think you summed it up perfectly, I have no interest in growing up! I can participate in what adult activities I need to while looking 'cool' and driving fast cars. So, while I'm far from old, the future is a lot less scary to imagine if I get to arrive there in a hot rod.

Oh, and to the Old Guys: Thanks! We wouldn't have much with out you... and I'll try and keep the music down.

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

Great read,

I am 31 and have had a ton of really great cars, But I feel like an idiot and a poser in converse and dickie shorts, just can't bring myself to wear 'em. I did buy a pair of Vans recently and love them, because they are comfortable. But I love my HOT RODS

29. dvzdeathtrap

dvzdeathtrap
    from austin, tx

no fat kids, because youth actually -physically did stuff (i.e. working on cars). not sitting in front of the x-box, eating cheetos, and having no personal interests other than texting and posting on face book. like someone said earlier. we ALL share something in common. cars. regardless how we look or dress. times will continue to change, passion shouldn't -DVZ

30. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

The old guys I know just shake their head. It's too low, it's too loud, you don't need that much power.

One thing I have always noticed though, as they shake their heads they have a grin on their faces. I could never tell if they were laughing at me or remembering what it was like to be a 16 20 25 year old kid.

I had an old timer tell me one time the best days of his life were on a Friday night after a long work week when he had 1/2 a tank of gas to cruise, a six pack of beer, a fresh pack of smokes, his girlfriend, and a couple of bucks in his wallet.

I always laughed at that.... Tank of gas to cruise was the first thing he mentioned everytime. Then he would shake his head coz it was too low and too loud.