Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Trials and Tribulations Of The GNRS: 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 30, 2011.

1. mdcolby

mdcolby

Great show! Building 9 was awesome and the TAKEOUT T was awesome! Best in the show to me! Congrats Russ! It had a croud around it all weekend. A show I will never forget!

2. RDO_23

RDO_23

Can someone post a link to the TJJ top ten cars?

3. Favorite neighborhood visited...Compton. Thanks Slim[/QUOTE] Those words haven't been said in years.....

4. Jcbuck

Jcbuck

Ryan,

We love you and the hAMB don't go changing. Just tyring to take care of the little guys and gals on our staff who are my real heros of putting on such a big event. FYI BYOB and use a plastic cup next time! The truck is always the best soution to the delema. (I don't make any money on parking or the Food and Beverage.) If I did there would be a lot of changes there!

We are off to sacramento Autorama in 2 weeks. for the next party. We would be honoed if you would consider joining us there!

All the best!

John

5. Jeff J

Jeff J

And the Chili was Hot and GOOD !!!!!

6. JackieTreehorn

JackieTreehorn

Thanks Ryan for the awesome GNRS AMBR poll. Hope you made finally made it home!

7. Joe King

Joe King

We got all mixed up on the freeway system trying to get out of Pomona and here we sit in a hotel in Patagonia AZ. I do know I'm closer to Austin TX than I am Port Townsend WA

8. blohme

blohme
    from Orange, ca

This was my first year going... Well being there. I didn't see much. I only paid for an over priced hot dog once, and spent the entire rest of my time there striping at the pinstripers reunion. I expected to be tired as hell.

9. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Ryan,

I didn't get it when I read your post; I just figured you were tired, hung over and pissed about your flight getting all messed up. It is good to see you and John Buck have it sorted out like gentlemen.

I have to say that I am really very impressed at the way the show gets pulled off every year with so few people. Not every car is my cup of tea but that is what keeps so many people coming out to this show; a little somthing for everyone.

John Buck and your little team of 6; awesome job, keep up the good work.

I want to thank Chris Young (the gentleman that John put in charge of coordinating the outside vendors and cars) he was such a huge help to ACME and is an asset to the Rod Shows team. Keep him in the mix John, he is a winner.

10. it was meant as such. Likewise.

11. FI-62

FI-62

I've wanted to go to this show for years and next year my wife and I are finally going. Being from New Jersey I wanted to ask some of the west coast guys a question or two. How far from LAX is the show? Also are there good hotel accomodations nearby? I just don't want to spend all my time driving around LA. Thanks Rich

12. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Rich, try and fly into Ontario or John Wayne Airport,both close to Pomona. There are lots of hotels closeby.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. I guess that the 'net really does read different to everyone. Hey Ryan, I get it. I thought your story really made the experience a positive one, even written from an airport floor. I also think it takes balls to tell it like it is and why. I miss it even more, not being able to attend. Clearly the negative vibes of such an event are as real as the postives. You have to bear it if you need that fix. Here in Motown we deal with a smaller percentage of that shit every year for Autorama. We trudge through snow, deal with long parking lines, drive through urban squaller, just to cruise our hotrods on foot. It may not be anything close to the GNRS but it's what we have and always adds new fond memories.

Now about that lavender car, I'll say bluntly, HOLY SHIT!! I try to explain the vibe that gets me, the soul and look that just says something without words. That's it right there. It simply works and makes a smile on the inside and the outside. I can't see anything at all that I would change. It's as rebellious as it is conservative, it's as honest and true to an era as any T roadster can possibly be, and it's clearly NOT for everyone. That makes it perfect. I'm impressed that "Mr. Black Car" picked it, and equally impressed that you described it as you did because there's measurable difficulty in trying to explain something like that. I got that from your post too. On the other hand, I fuckin hate that I wasn't there and your story made it worse. For that I offer a friendly and heart felt singlefinger salute to ya. Thanks man.

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Ryan, thanks for the kind words. It was great to hang out if only for a little bit. Axle.
    P.s. , and yes, the entire gnrs staff make everything possible.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Axle... What do you mean? You don't remember all that time we spent together in the bar? Jesus man, check your credit card statement! You've got a real problem... But I like it.

The folks that were lucky enough to get a 1955 calendar, but unfortunate enough to actually read my editorial within will absolutely get my GNRS article. You other degenerates are on your own.

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

"Axle... What do you mean? You don't remember all that time we spent together in the bar? Jesus man, check your credit card statement! You've got a real problem... But I like it".

Uh Oh ...........................

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This I gotta see. Would I be correct in assuming by your statement I won't find it here?

18. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

The closest airport is ONT (Ontario, CA) but it can be one of the more expensive ones to fly into. Burbank, LAX, Long Beach, John Wayne (Orange county) are all about the same distance from the Fairplex. Check all of them for flights, I've have gotten some really great fares out of Long Beach. If you want to fly into and out of the greatest little airport in SoCal (and don't mind a 1 1/2 hour with no-traffic drive and probably having to connect in Denver) without any check-in/out lines or parking hassles, try Palm Springs Airport -- throw in a little vacation/golf/relaxing by the pool to your trip.

As far as a place to stay, the Sheraton is on the fair grounds and right next to the NHRA museum, they probably have a shuttle over to the show or you can walk it in 3-5 minutes. Better book now as it is the most popular.

19. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It's been VERY interesting to watch the "outsiders" of yesterday become the "insiders" of today. I grew up in the L.A. Street Rod Scene and when the original "Traditional" guys like the Shifters and the Choppers were forming it was worlds apart. I met Aaron Kahan of the Choppers very early on because he was raised in the same scene attending the L.A. Roadster Show since we were kids.
    When the traditional scene started to really grow and absorb the attention of the young guys across the county and through the HAMB it was two very different mind sets. I got to see from the inside as Goodguys and then Rod & Custom became more friendly and accepted to the young guys and now it's GREAT to see this stuff happen with the GNRS becoming less and less of an "old man show".
    Not sure what will happen first- young gus will become the show- or we just become the "New-Old Guys" - LOL!!! Whatever it is it's really nice to see SO MANY friends at these shows now that share the same interest rather than how small and seperate the "traditional" world looked 10 years ago.

20. Well put, Jim A. I looks about the same to me, from 20 years older. It's a natural evolution.

21. For the 1st part of the rant-Can I get you some cheese to go with that whine?:D
    For the 2nd part-I'm a sucker for lavendar/white/Radirs/slicks. Oh, and it's not a girlie color. I LOVE color;)

[​IMG]

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes, congratulations to all the staff. Each year I am able to talk a few more of my friends from all over the country into attending. The acceptance committee does their job sooo well and that's my talking point to my friends who are on the fence about coming. To a person, they are blown away once they make the show.

I explain how 99% of the cars in the show are good enough to deserve a place in a show of this calibur. Every other indoor show (with a few exceptions such as Detroit) looks like half the cars belong in the spectator parking lot.

Then, on top of that the other 500-600 cars in the outdoor portion make up a way better-than-average parking lot show, icing on the cake.

23. HRod 50

HRod 50

Great Show, so good I went twice, Sat and Sunday.. Ryan ranted a little but if we wanted to nit pick even further..
    1. 1 1/2hours to get into the parking lot off of the freeway, on Saturday.
    2.$9 to park $12 for VIP parking which wasnt really regulated. I paid that, and it didnt make a difference. I think they should put up a temp fence for it. Its annoying to pay $3 more for a spot, and arguing wouldnt matter cause the gate people are about 2 miles back, and who's going to walk there to complain..
    3. Entry $20.00.. So before I've seen 1 car I've spent $32.00 :eek:
    4. Sausage and beer $22.00
    5. Finally see a car.. Monies spent so far $54.00 :eek:

I was so mad about it all, I went back on Sunday :D, and spent the same amount, but with the wife so $20 more entrance, and $25 for her food.....

Grand total spent this weekend, and not one purchase. $153.00 :D

I'll be back next year.. I will say, this show made me appreciate the Long Beach Motorama show that much more. I can't wait for that show this year after attending the GNRS. More Kustoms, nicer people, nicer venue, and more room.. My biggest complaint is that the GNRS had all these amazing old Kustoms packed into the buildings, when to me the respect should have been given to these cars for more room. The Aztec was paired with another car similarly painted, so it washed out the one corner of the room, and just a bunch of beautiful Kustoms with no room to be admired, BUT I'll be back next year, like I said..

Long Beach Motorama, I hope you witnessed the flaws of GNRS, and not allow them to happen to your show. IF you could get those Kustoms, oh my God, No one would be able to touch your show..

24. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Great article!

25. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Super article...wish I would have been able to be there. Hopefully next year it'll work out.

And Ryan, thanks for everything you do here on the H.A.M.B. ! Just "keeping the lights on" has to be a REALLY BIG CHORE !!

Jonnie

26. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

QUOTE: I'll be back next year.. I will say, this show made me appreciate the Long Beach Motorama show that much more. I can't wait for that show this year after attending the GNRS. More Kustoms, nicer people, nicer venue, and more room.. My biggest complaint is that the GNRS had all these amazing old Kustoms packed into the buildings, when to me the respect should have been given to these cars for more room. The Aztec was paired with another car similarly painted, so it washed out the one corner of the room, and just a bunch of beautiful Kustoms with no room to be admired, BUT I'll be back next year, like I said..

Long Beach Motorama, I hope you witnessed the flaws of GNRS, and not allow them to happen to your show. IF you could get those Kustoms, oh my God, No one would be able to touch your show..QUOTE:

The Long Beach Motorama seemed to be about contemporary custom cars where last weekends GNRS displayed THE most historical customs to EVER be displayed together - under one roof! What John Buck, Axle and staff did has and will never be duplicated, and that must be the reason the building was so packed full of people - and the crowd never let up. Building #9 was clearly the smashing hit of the GNRS.

On to the dark side. It seems as though the GNRS conducts themselves with the utmost professionalism - unlike the organizer of the LBM. I kept wondering who the bloke was that so arrogantly walked under the secured rope all weekend to open car doors and shove pamphlets inside . As it has just been brought to my attention - it was the promoter of the LBM?!?!?!? Friends,wife, and i saw the local bill speaking to him afterwards.

In all, we had a fantastic time but must admit, are knackered . Missed our reconnecting flight on our return but was given another offered flight within a hours time. Oh well, its part of traveling, isn't it. Still, we would do it again next year. Cheers, Roger

27. outcasthb

outcasthb

I thank you for the "pat on the back" mentioned above....just trying to make this the best show you attend and take all the "headaches" that I can out of the experience. I love the job and the challenges that it brings.....John's Team is fabulous and I am glad to be part of it.......

28. rainh8r

rainh8r

We drove 850 miles on Thursday, then 350 on Friday to get there at 1:30pm, just in time to get a good parking place. Stayed until about 8:30, went to the motel, and were back at the gate Saturday at 10:00. Stayed until 8:00, back to the motel, and back again Sunday at 10:30. Finally left at 4:00 and drove to Merced, then another 900 miles home on Monday. I enjoyed every minute of it and would do it again soon. The feeling there is not what one gets at a regular show-this one is an event. Everyone is enjoying themselves without attitude or posture. You can talk to anyone, as we spent time talking with the Lifestyle guys just like the LA Roadsters members. I've been to shows and worked them for years, and this show brings out the best in both cars and the people. The commitment by the people there, both organizers and participants, makes it work. Lots to see and process, overload maybe, but there were a few that stood out. The Takeout T, straight out of a show from 1960, was perfect. The AMBR winner this year was a suprise and a good one-way better than the kind-of 34's that have been winning. Wally Parks roadster, Jack Calori's coupe, Doug Rice's 39 in with the best ever, and the fact that an ugly custom from '61 is still ugly no matter how old it is. The Hirohata Merc is still the best one out there and the lowriders of today show a level of commitment that's hard to match by anyone. The whole Fairplex seems to run on $20 bills, too. It was worth the trip.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not that you need my input... I just got back from my first GNRS. Ditto the tired feet and legs. I met some great folks, made a rendezvous with an old Navy bud I haven't seen in years and had a uneventful flight from Tampa and back. I also had a brief visit to the VA medical center Friday eve for a possible appendicitus (sp?) attack but thankfully that turned out to be some sort of hernia-ish thing instead I can deal with now that I'm back.

As a first timer, I saw some AMAZING cars. Some of cars parked outside belonged inside, fer sure. Other pedestrian cars looked as if they had managed to "jump the fence" when no one was looking. I'm sure they were "hip" by someone's account, but jeez Louise, some things I just don't get. On the flip side, I just LOVED that primered and sectioned / chopped / narrowed hump-back rodent-ish rod sedan!

The worst? It was all that fantastic paint. I have never seen paint jobs SO nice. I know now I don't need fenders on my truck. I might as well just throw rocks at it and save myself the worry. Gary

Forgot to add, the GNRS winner was so uninspiring, I can't even remember seeing it. Duh.