Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag IFS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpol7966, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpol7966

rpol7966

I have done a number of searches looking for information on the Jag IFS swap into various vehicles. It's my understanding that the Series 3 XJ6/XJ12 seems to be the most popular donor vehicle. This suspension was used between '79 and '87 on the XJ6 and through '92 on the XJ12.
    I am wanting to know if the earlier Series 2 front suspensions can be used. Are there major differences between the Series 2 and Series 3 IFS units.
    I hope that someone can provide some useful information.
    Thanks, Tim

2. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

That thread is about IRS he is looking for info on IFS. I think TMAN did something once on his chevy. Look up him.
    I may be wrong though. I was once before.

Vintage Amercian Iron likes this.
  3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Some guy named zman did it on a Buick. :rolleyes:

4. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Damnit...I was wrong...That makes twice. :D
    Do I get half credit for being sort of close?
    Sorry ZMAN.. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Series 1, 2 and 3 XJ6 or XJ12 - all the same. XJ-S - all the same.

The only difference is that V12 cars had heavier front coils.

6. one is a wider track than the other, forgot witch one it though. remembered xke is the odd ball one.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

No, not if you are referring to the front or rear suspensions of Series 1, 2 or 3 XJ6's or XJ12's, or any of the XJ-S cars (6 or 12 cylinders).

E-Types (again, Series 1, 2 or 3) had different front suspensions and a narrower rear (of the same type).

There are also some other Jags that used these same front and rear ends, for example the Mark 10 IIRC.

8. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

plym49 is correct. the front suspensions on all of the series 1,2 & 3 along with the XJ-S type cars interchange with only spring differences. The rears same thing along with the MK-10 and 420G. The other two track widths are the Six cylinder E (the narrowest) then the V-12 E and the 3.4/3.8 S-types and the 420 (different than the 420G)

9. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

The MK-10 Front suspension is NOT the same as the XJ-6/12 - XJ-S. Although the MK-10 front suspension is good, it is hard to mount. It does however have a forged I beam crossmember.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You are correct...........

12. rpol7966

rpol7966

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm in the process of gathering parts for my truck project, a '50 Ford F1. Still looking for the Jag IFS and wasn't sure what front units were the same. I knew the Series 3 IFS was being used in the truck swaps. The Ford Truck Enthusiast forum has been a helpful resource but The HAMB can't be beat.
    Anyone know of a Jag IFS that's available? Thanks, Tim

13. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Tim, I found one on C/L for 300$ offered him 400$ if he delivered it, cheaper than buying the rear out of a junkyard. 74 xj12l w/title it might run with new gas, sat in a garage for a couple of years older couple with health problems owner gave it to the neghbor for helping around the farm. He was 70 miles away in Mo. your should be able to find one too! tt

Attached Files:

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've gotten whole Jags for as cheap as $100. They are out there...

16. aldixie

aldixie

I've done one on my 50 chevy sedan and one on a 50 Ford F2 Pickup. Also have magazine article on fitting one to a 50 pickup. Main difference is the width. Series 3 I believe is wider.

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have an 88 xj6 that has a blown seal in the rack so its parked. Im wanting to make it a donor for the proper project. Heck I'll sell it and finance a current project.

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That's actually a desirable car. You can make plenty parting it out. Or resell t to some Jag enthusiast who will restore it, and then use the proceeds to buy the pieces you need to do your swap.

19. kustoman

kustoman

Series3 is best. Series 2 &3 have ventilated discs & 4 pot calipers, series 1 brakes are solid with 3 pot calipers, not as good. Series 2 steering rack has a longer input shaft area. I have put a series 3 into a 36 ford coupe, a bit wide, but with factory wheels it is OK, steering column position is very close to original.

Frankie47 likes this.
  20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

More neat things about Jag suspensions: Chevy front wheel bearings. Chevy 4 3/4 bolt circles (although the center hub opeining is a different size).

21. that answers the question "will it work for my 38' ford truck"? answer "too wide.":(

22. kustoman

kustoman

58 1/2" track with stock wheels, 61" flange to flange, see attached photo with 205/65 x 15 tire

Attached Files:

23. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Are there any Identifing marks that will tell you what Series your looking at with out getting into the brakes. Or is there a code on V.I.N. tag? :confused:
    Anybody know how these would mate up in a 57chevy.

I'M Speaking of I F S rear doesn't look to bad pretty straight Forward.

24. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I would not get hung up on which one it is. The differences are insignificant, and all of the parts are interchangeable regardless. Even the 'worst' Jag brakes are light years better than anything else you will run on a hot rod.

Get one at a good price, don't obsess about which one it is, and enjoy. You will never regret it.

25. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

You seem quite knowledgable about jaf stuff, have you done or do you regularly swap jag front end gear into hotrods? Photos and a thread please??!!

26. bash n weld, what part of NZ are you in? I've done several jag front and rear swaps and would be happy to help out.

27. Pics of my '46 pickup chassis. series 2 xj12 front and rear.

Attached Files:

28. Big Jon

Big Jon

4t6ford

how are you mate, I am working thru the process of putting a xj6 front end into my 52 chev, the only snag i have is that the springs are obviously stiffer , the jag motor being heavier and mounted further forward. do you have any suggestions for different springs . any info would be of help.

cheers

jonno

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.