Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to get dead car onto trailer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jobe, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

hey all,

I'm looking to buy a 62 caddy parts car that doesn't have an engine or tranny. How would I put this onto a flat bed trailer? Could I use a come along puller? Tow straps from my truck and pull it up that way? winch?

I'd like to do this myself and not have to call a hauler/transporter.

thanks for any tips.

bryan

2. Our trailer is a tilt. And has a winch on it. Works really well. We just recently pulled a 58 brookwood wagon up on it with no problem. The winch is an add on item. I don't know the company off hand, but works really well. Just hooks to the battery on your truck. and has a bracket on the trailer so ou can take it on and off.

3. I use come alongs and a 10ft cable with eyes on both ends. Bring it up as far as I can, block the tires, move the come along and cable, bring it up further, etc etc. Takes awhile, but if you dont have help or an electric winch. Biggest and heaviest thing I did this way was a 72 3/4 ton truck with a big block. I may have been sweating a tad when I finished.

4. bcarlson

bcarlson

I did the same thing with my '53 F-100... it's not so bad. Get a good come-along, and some chains to secure it when you re-adjust the comealong.

Also, I wish I had done this, but didn't... if it's been sitting in the same spot for a long time on soft ground, try to pull it ahead a full cars length with a truck or skidsteer before trying to get it on the trailer. It might break the wheels free if they are stuck, and it'll get the car out of any tire holes.

Ben

5. 47bob

47bob

Assuming you have aired up tires; winch it on with a come-a-long.

6. budd

budd

when i went to pick up my truck i found out all the wheels were seized up and the tires wouldn`t hold air, so we towed it out of the shead/chicken coup with the farmers tractor, backed the trailer up to the front of the truck, unhooked the trailer and blocked the wheels and used the farmers tractor to tow it onto my trailer. then when i got home i chained the truck to my backhoe and pulled the trailer out from under the truck, all went pretty smoothly.

7. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Comealong and chain, done this so many times. Tires can be flat as long as the frame doesnt catch it will drag it.

8. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Come along will do it.
    Come along aerobics will keep you warm.
    OR...rent buy or borrow a winch.

9. heavytlc

heavytlc

I have a winch on the front of my tow rig. I run the cable under the truck, over the front of the trailer and pull cars onto the trailer that way. I have used my tie downs to pull cars on before. A lot of work, but you get the trailer as close as you can, pull the car as far as you can until you have as much stap in the rachet as will fit, hook up a second strap so you can release the first. It takes awhile. A come-along is a better manual method, but not 100% needed.

10. BenW455

BenW455

If using a come a long take a friend so he can take over when you get tired.:) Sam's club sells a 8'000 pound winch for a little over 300.00 that you could mount on your trailer. Good luck and post pics when you get it. Ben

11. boozoo

boozoo

Yep... that's how I did the '47 parts truck.

Takes a little while.... be careful and "think safety" and you'll be fine.

12. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

blow the tires up as much as you can. less surface area on the gound the easier it rolls. and most important is be safe. don't use under strength cheap ass cumalong or you might end up with broken cable..and worse yet a broken jaw when the cable hits you...buy a good quality cumalong..make sure someone else knows where you are and what you are doing. so you can call them when car is safely loaded. that way you are not hurt in the middle of nowhere and nobody knows where you are....safety first good luck cadillac dave

13. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

thanks for all the tips guys, I appreciate it.

I'm mainly concerned with the weight of the vehicle. My 62 with engine and tranny is pushing 5,000 pounds. I'm guessing without engine and tranny it's about 4200-4500.

14. 1600# boat winch on flatbed trailer.

1800# boat winch in box trailer.

Either winch will pull a complete 50 Plymouth on board easily.
    Use chocks under the wheels as you go.

Draggin' a 2200# roadster on is easy.

I've used come-alongs in the past, but the two ton model I had took forever to pull a 39 sedan onto the flatbed.
    The boat winches are considerably faster.

Boat winches are fairly reasonable in cost.
    The 1800# one I bought about 3 years ago cost $32. or so.
    The cable is extra.

An easy way out for mounting a boat winch on a flatbed trailer is to lay it on it's side on the right front corner.
    Use a snatch block to make the 90 degree turn for a direct pull up the trailer bed.

My little brother had his flatbed trailer winch mounted on it's side and I think all it took was an additional strap of metal for proper bracing.

Attached Files:

15. 59 brook

59 brook

harbor freight or northern tools sells an inexpensive winch that hooks over a trailer ball and works off 12 volts less than a $100 .I have used this kind to load a few wagons chevy and ford some with flat tires cause the old tires wouldnt hold air . this does strain the winch as it shut down on the breaker once and i have had 2 go bad over the years but a good come along isn't much cheaper and it's a lot more work. only downside to the cheap one is only powers in .they used to sell one for around$125 which powered in and out

16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

A week ago I put my 1959 Ranchero on a car trailer with a come-a-long. Works slick, just 1/2 inch at a time!

Mike

17. if you use a come-a-long , be carefull...they can be finger pinchers

and stay out of line with the cable , in case it breaks

18. Neophyte

Neophyte

My issue with a come-a-long is to release the tension everytime all the cable is used up. I do sometimes actually use my chain block to pull a car on a trailer. After you've chocked the wheels it's eeasy to release the tension on the chain. I've even used it to unload as well when you can't let the car just run off the trailer by "lowering" it down.

19. haring

haring

Whatever you do, be careful.

I've seen a winch cable break on a two rig, and it's scary.

I've also seen 4 large men lose control of a car as they were manually pushing it up into a box trailer. It started to roll back down the ramp. That's one way to motivate old men to take up running.

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Get a comalong and a long piece of chain, You may have to block the rear wheels several times while you reposition the rig as it comes up the ramps. This works for me, good luck.

21. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I always use a come along with a chain or strap. Crank til ya can't crank no more, chock the wheels, re-rig and crank some more. Get a two ton come along and no problems except sore upper back and arms from cranking on the witch.

Winch would be great if you had one installed already. If not, do it manually. I've seen guys you block and tackle...takes forever. Come along is cheap and effective.

Easiest way, however, would be lifting straps and a 5 ton crane. Most dont' have a crane handly though. I have also used an extended reach fork and lifting straps. $500 a day is a bit expensive though.

22. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Harbor freight sells a cheap 12V winch for under $50 that'll work. I loaded a Chevy G20 van (3/4 ton) on a trailer with mine.

23. afan

afan
    from michigan

if the wheels won't turn put some liquid soap on the deck of the trailer it helps and it washes off when you are done

24. Terry

Terry

practice....practice....practice....

25. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

I actually used to hook 4 cheap comalongs together to not have to rehook every 5 feet or so. Hated it but never had the cash for a good winch. Everyone I knoe that bought those cheap winches burnede them up after 3 or 4 uses. Then I scored a heavy duty boat winch, sort of a gear reduction unit with 3 gears instead of two for 10 bucks at an auction. It does crank slow, but I've pulled a 60 olds 98 with 2 flats up on my trailer and never strained it or had to mess with rehooking all the time.