Register now to get rid of these ads!

is Buckaroo comunictions / streetrod builder magazine dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Oct 29, 2009.

1. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

I'd have to agree with you Bruce! I remember ordering Hot Rod Mechanix quite a few years ago. I even sent in a letter stating that I loved the photography of American Rodder but, I wanted to study the cars and how they were made, not the women and how THEY were made! That's why I decided on HRMx. Well, my first issue turned out to be the one where they merged with American Rodder! I tried...

Some of the cars that are being built right now rival any of the works of art that have been assembled at ANY price. PRoblem is, I don't care how many different colors are in Rosie's tattoos and if she'd get off the flippin' car, the view would be much better! Can't we just have a cool, traditional car in today's world?!!! A magazine about built cars by folks who have built cars for folks who are building cars!

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

When they go belly up and not replace with a similar subscription, thats just outright theft.

3. Weasel

Weasel

word....

4. Too bad about Street Rod Builder - they did start off great and I still have my issues but I too let my subscription lapse about a year or so ago. It just got ho-hum and for the subscription money it was not worth it.

I do like Jerry Berger though and the red 40 Ford p-up he did some tech articles on in Street Rod Builder is my old truck. That was one hell of a runner, 327 w/rumpety rump cam, gear drive, 3-deuces, built T350 and 9", bare bones, nasty, and I drove it all over the place. He bought it from a friend of mine whom I sold it to when money got tight to continue to finance the build of my avatar.

Just a sign of the times as others have said - I hope Jerry can revive something good out of all of it.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Except for the earliest years, 1950's and 1960's car mags are fairly easy to find and often cost no more than what's at the newsstand right now. Usually much more satisfying purchases...pick the time period you like and start sampling. You will be pleased.

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

HAHAHAHA!
    I wondered who those magzines were for, has to be a small market, and yet there are so many mag's like that.

7. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I used to subscribe to the original American Rodder and Rodder's Digest ( RD being my favorite mag at one time). "15 Things" and their "Idea" section were always good reads for me. I saw them at Knoxville the year they were going to bring RD back. I checked on the subscription and it was like 2 and a half times the original price for just 6 issues. I declined and extended my subscription to Rod and Custom 3 more years for the same money plus change back. I probably haven't bought but one or two copies of RD off the stands since they came back. Damn shame.

48 Poncho

8. Pretty depressing thead so I thought I would throw this out there. Have been picking up a mag called HOTROD DELUXE. Would be right in any hambers canoe. Lot of old drag photos from HOTROD Magazines archives, always a couple of beautiful babes, and some kickass traditional rods. Comes out 6 times a year. Barnes & Noble Book store carry it and have found it at Krogers here in Houston. I know this mag started as a kulture mag some years ago, but now some of the old gray beards at Hot Rod are doing it.
    Check it out.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hot Rod Deluxe has become a damn fine magazine, actually!

10. Super Rod, thats the one I couldn't think of. Something's not so Super about that.

11. Agree.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Thanks... I wrote that.

It was great in the beginning, then got too micro-managed, and too many titles. They were a nice, specialized "boutique" magazines that would let us write huge, really in-depth articles that were reader-centric, rather than space and advertising driven. Then everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) had to go through one guy, and the advertisements started becoming stories, Street Rod Builder became "Mail-Order Bolt-Ons" tech started going into American Rodder rather than making it a nice feature-only magazine, and a whole lot more behind the scenes that went bad.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have worked with Jerry Burger and a few other guys, and it was great experience overall. I'm also damn proud that my byline appeared in Rodder's Digest, because that's one of the best rod magazines there ever was.

No idea if someone is going to keep hitting the horse with the defibrillator paddles or not, but the flies have been landing on the carcass for a while now.

Now I'm real happy to be writing for Hot Rod Deluxe.
    -Brad

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I wish they'd at least print the last Rodder's Digest that has been ready for print for the last 18 months.:(

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Damn...knew I was waiting for something. That's the feature on the Olds you mentioned?? Returning to what's left of its home magazine??

15. Davarath

Davarath

My SRB subscription got screwed up earlier this year and I called pretty much every day and left messages for them to call me back. (No one ever answered the phone there)

Some woman called me back after I had left over 30 messages over 2 months and was actually pissed at me leaving the final message telling them to cancel my name off their list since they were too poorly run to return a phone call to a paying client. Well, I was a bit more rude then that, but hey, it got the tart to return my call.

In the end, she said she would fix the problem, and I have gotten one issue since then. I would never give those assholes another penny of my money even if they pressed them out every month now. It's not like every mag doesn't show the same cars from the same shows anyway. I love Poteet's Deuce Delivery, but how many shoots did I need to see of it? Now that green Chevy is the flavor of the month. Why subscribe to more then one magazine if they just pass the same cars around to shoot?

Dav

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25 years ago I used to buy just about every rod magazine on the shelf without even opening them first but in the past few years I got pretty particular and have cut down on what I buy.
    Like Bruce, I'm not interested in bimbos with tatoos but want to see the cars.
    As for the Buckaroo publications, me thinks that the money coming in may have not have been put back into the business as it should have.

Brad, like a lot of others I have followed you over to Hot Rod Deluxe and so far like what I see.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, the photos for the feature were shot in May of 2008 and I was told The Big Olds feature would be in the next issue. About Aug of 2008 I think it was, I was told the issue was going to the printer. Nothing since then. I was kinda hoping for the cover cuz if any car deserves the cover of Rodders Digest it's Big Olds completed that's for sure. Fingers still crossed it might happen some day. Who knows, 10 years from now they could bring it back again.

18. tradrod

tradrod

Why would you subscribe to a car mag? (other than the Rodder's Journal)When you have places like the H.A.M.B. in real time? Think about it, we get to see cool traditional hot rods going together daily. Tech? I've read A LOT (devoured actually) of "tech" articles in StreetRodder, SRB,Hot Rod, etc. and can't asked the author a question like I can here. Event coverage? I can find it online within hours or days of the event without the typical three month delay for a magazine..... No brainer if you ask me... H.A.M.B.=best deal out

19. Davarath

Davarath

Old simple concept of toilet reading. I really don't want to bring the laptop in while I am doing business. Having car mags by the paper dispenser make for good bathroom reading and planning. Nothing like knowing right where you had the idea of how to cut up that dash to make it work :eek:

You asked, now you know.

20. Still finding issues of Super Rod and SRB here on the news stands. I haven't bought one in years, same with most other titles...........................the HAMB has filled that void.

21. Zerk

Zerk

I'd love to be a magazine buyer/subscriber again. The content would have to be on a par with the HAMB, though (meaning quality, not quantity).
    The first go-round of Rodder's Digest was a high point. If a magazine could approach and maintain that level they would earn my loyalty.

22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I used to subscribe to Street Rod Builder, and Super Rod. I also bought American Rodder and Rodders Digest off the stands(when I could find them). I agree, when literally half (I counted pages once!) of SRB and SR became parts feature articles on advertisers products, along with their regular ads, I pulled the plug on my subscriptions. With subscription prices 4 times as much as the other titles, and stories month after month about cars being built for him, and "famous" people he hung out with, It became real clear to me, that these magazines were an ego trip, and a way of getting rich for Mr. Dianna.
    Which, he probably did, without feeling a bit of guilt about what has happened now...

23. tradrod

tradrod

I think you need more fiber in your diet Davarath...:D

24. millersgarage

millersgarage

I know what you mean D. SRB shot my coupe in Louisville in '08, and I have been waiting to see the photos. They looked good thru the lens, but really wanted to see it in print.

maybe, someday, but I do not think I'll hold my breath

25. dudley32

dudley32

I miss the old mags..but I guess the same thing happened to drive-in movies
    when video's came out...d32

26. willymakeit

willymakeit

In the toliet room after reading, you can do the green thing and use up the pages you dont like. Al Gore would be proud.

27. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Don't worry your wish is coming true, sort of.

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I had an uneasy filling when I saw a picture of John Dianna sitting around a conference table with a bunch of high roller financial types..............aboard a corporate jet going to a board of directors meeting somewhere overseas. Compare that with some of the pictures of Robert "Pete" Peterson walking around Bonneville with a camera taking pictures for the next edition of Hot Rod Magazine. Dianna's magazine "collection" was more about him than the cars.

Frank

29. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I remember that American Rodder was the only magizine that would feature Traditional Hot rods, this was in the eighties, remember the purple duece five window that made the cover? It had big and little white wall sixteens and I a flathead, I wonder what happen to the car, anyway I always like that magazine till they went to the larger size , and fill it with billet stuff.

30. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

hopefully someone will save American Rodder and Rodders Digest.

Hopefully it will make the issues of Super Rod and Truck Builder worth more since I have a bunch for sale on e bay.