Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects maybe OT but Nuts and bolts..............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Jan 18, 2011.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

What about bolt kits designed for specific applications maybe ARP etc.?

2. InPrimer

InPrimer

As far as trying to figure out exact size nut/bolt, I bring out my tap & die set, figure what fits and then I "Test"all the loose ones and place them all in a bin with a quick label, Also if you compare $ for a few items vs. a box , its a lot cheaper per box.
    considering the price of gas these days

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind of funny this came up this week. My buddy I share the garage with and I have been reworking our bench stock trying to do some organizing and make the search a little easier. We have a lot of bench stock ( thanks XYZ Company that my buddy works for ). We thought the project through and finally decided on this bench, We used old blue bins that were yard sale stuff. We built the bench from wood and made a specific place for each size. We put a hole in the work top to make getting everything back in the bin easier.
    Just finished it tonight

Attached Files:

4. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

My wife worked at an aircraft factory for 11 years. If they dropped a bolt or nut or washer they figgured it was cheaper to get another one rather than pick it up. At night when they swept the floor she would put them in a container and when it got full she would take them home. I still have two cans full and i just used several today on my project 53 ford. I dont know how they grade them but are at least grade 8.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Rule Co at 6th and Rockford will sell to you, C&H at 6523 E Independence will also. I am sure there are others.

6. http://www.pai-net.com/

^^^^These guys are phenomenal ^^^^^
    You need to register to shop but they have exactly what your looking for and a whole bunch of other stuff too. Local for me but they ship & have a few satellites.

Around here there is another local bolt Wharehouse. Its freaking huge retail free zone but they will sell direct to the public in any quantity IF you know exactly what you want. They have any single threaded thing ever created by man. The prices are insanely cheap . ABOUT 70% of H DEPOT, LOWES, ECT.

M.E. MARTIN is the name & nobody in the public knows they sell bolts . The ship plenty of stuff too.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When I was running my shop I never bought hardware in anything less than 100ct. box lots and had 3 of those segregated specialty storage bins to put them in. Now that I'm retired I only go to buy fasteners about twice a year and make a list before I go and replentish anything I'm low on, still in 100 ct boxes.

Frank

8. Nope not true, Fastenal is open to the public. Trust me I know.
    www.fastenal.com

9. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i buy all my bolts from tractory supply , went there last week for some i think they were like $1.50 a pound. you just cant beat that.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

brilliant. I'm stealing that.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I have drawers full too, I was lucky enough to get boxes full when they cleaned out the other hanger at work, they threw out bags and boxes full of AN and stainless steel nuts and bolts, as well as screws etc. If you look on a certain auction site, a lot of people sell assorted grab bags of different hardware, often from cleaning out stock or unused stuff. Another idea, if you have an old fashioned type yard near you, offer them ten bucks for all the hardware you can pick up on the ground or laying around loose in cars. it just gets buried in the dirt and no one ever uses it.i

12. evintho

evintho

That's the ticket! Whenever I part out a car, I save every nut, bolt and washer. I've got a lifetime supply!

13. weldtoride

weldtoride

Ditto Tractor Supply, and around here we have 2 other farm supply store chains; one's called Farm 'n' Fleet the other Fleet Farm. Both carry three grades of hardware by the pound. You can set yourself up with a starting assortment pretty cheaply.

My only gripe is they only carry coarse thread btp, fine thread is in small packages or by the piece.

14. yblock292

yblock292

we have an atwoods farm supply place that sells grade 5 and 8's by the pound, when ever i start running low will go load-up

15. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

some farm/tractor stores sell bolts & etc by the pound . much cheaper this way. around here we have Tractor Supply and Farm and Fleet stores

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I do the same thing with bolts as well as brass fittings and any plumbing parts. Buy in quantity, store the rest. I have my own hardware store now!
    I also get wiring heat shrink by the roll, and terminals in bulk.

17. Try Rule co., kinda downtown Tulsa, We buy a lot of fasteners there for work.
    Also i think Eagle nut and bolt is around 51st. and 101st

18. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I save all nuts, bolts, special fasteners from all my parts cars over the years, I must have $10K in SAE and Metric hardware, special engine brackets and oddball mounting bolts, rarely do I have to buy, I consider it "free to me" just use thread restorer tools to clean, not tap and die.