Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting a Vintage Fiat Topolino drag car built in 1964

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Apr 7, 2008.

1. I spoke with Mike about 3 weeks ago and told him his car made the cover. So he at least took that with him. I was calling him today to tell him his copy of the magazine was on it's way when I got the bad news. He was 59.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. Well I had some good luck today. I talked with Dave that drove the Fiat. He said he will post some history and stories about racing the car. I can't wait to hear more about it!m Yesterday I spoke to Mike's brother and I hope to get some info from him as well. Just when I thought I would hit a road block, we make a 180 turn.

3. Yesterday we went down to Da'Grove for the Hunnert Car Heads Up. We had a great time and met more cool people. I even took my Dad along. We really didn't even care that it was cold and rainy.
    Here is some video and pictures of it:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zxnteV8GfAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zxnteV8GfAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4. Norb

Norb

I just happened to see this and thought I would let you know that the site is still up. I had to move it when AOL killed the Hometown sites. This will put you on the site; www.norbsplace.com it's over a year behind in putting up new pictures. Been busy with my new dragster "Grandpa's Toy" and just haven't had the time to update the site.
    Norb Locke

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey INLAW MODEL A, What is the wheelbase on your car? I'm planning the chassis for my fiberglass trends body and I like the length of yours. Thanks Chip Quinn

6. Hi Chip, It is 96"

7. Birdy

Birdy

Hello there,
    Here are some pics of my 1500hp topolino.
    Personal best time 1/4 mile 7.703 sec

Wilco

Attached Files:

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bump, because this car is right.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bump for the same damn reason!

10. Thanks guys.

Here we are racing a Pontiac powered slingshot at the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Illinois. We made 3 runs and this was an 11.0 @120 mph:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWXqVH4RKxs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWXqVH4RKxs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. 41PICUP

41PICUP

Dorricott & Sheehan, Elmwood Auto Club, Fremont Drag Strip circa 1961

Attached Files:

12. Today was a great day. Not only was it my b-day, but I went to visit a friend that gave me this picture that he got from a friend of his. The story goes that this guy was at a car show with a cool afx car, and this old timer gives him about 40 slides from 1965 at Great Lakes Dragaway. He has had them for a while and was showing my friend when he spots the Fiat. He gave it to him to give to me. I am very happy to get it. I hope to have the slide blown up to a larger print I can frame. This is about 3 years earlier than I have any info on the car. I think it was built in 1962, 3 years before this picture was taken.
    It looks like it is being pushed by a 1965 Pontiac Catalina.
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  13. I just realized that the engine in the car is the 348 it was rumored to have run. I was told this by two people but could never prove it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Far out---love this car and story

15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

its like being above ground every morning ......awesome .
    they got one down in oklahoma that will be at mo-kan next year ....right guys.

16. I just got this today from Hilborn, It is the original sales order for my injection set-up still on my car!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  17. That's cool that you keep getting peeks back into the history of your little mouse, no matter how many times I see it I still stare at it soaking in the details.

18. I did not know this existed until Cliffy sent me a text today! Thanks John for looking out for me. This is some awesome stuff! What a week so far!
    [​IMG]

19. It's not yours yet Paul. he he he. And Jon has the goggles and the fender cover!!

If you look at one of your old photos in this thread, you can see the driver wearing this helmet!

20. poopeye

poopeye

Don't worry Cliffy......He'll get it.:)

21. Thanks Jon!:D
    Do you see it in this picture?

[​IMG]

22. poopeye

poopeye

Cool. Now, get the fire suit!!!!

23. Here are the teasers that Jon sent me pictures of today. I can't wait to see this stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. redhawk74

redhawk74

That helmet is awesome.....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  25. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

enjoyed browsing your entire blog.... here's a link to my topolino http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170422&page=5
    it starts on page 5 where I bought the little hot rod and goes until page... I think today it is at 17...

All my posts are under "Zoomer"... there's a few other of my prjects up there too

I'm looking for some sort of a new grille filler panel for my topo... the original is not that bad but I really don't feel like building a mold to hammer into to fix it and since my radiator is in the rear I don't need anything really for air...

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zoomer

26. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

That is wicked. I hope to see a video of it running soon!

27. I posted this earlier in the thread,
    11.0 @ 120mph I beat the slingshot at the end. My fastest run ever in the car.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWXqVH4RKxs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWXqVH4RKxs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

28. On Friday I spoke to Larry Sikora of Sikora bros. He worked at Lakewood Chassis in the early 1960's and said he tig welded the chassis under my car. He worked for Joe Schubeck and later bought the chassis business in 1970. He went on to build some well known chassis. He said he has some old catalogs in the attic. I hope he can find them.
    Does anyone have a Lakewood catalog that shows altered chassis?

29. A while ago I was trying to find Jerry Adams the builder of the Fiat. I found a guy that said his father-in-law was Jerry, but he did not drag race. Well it did not add up so I asked him to double check with his Father-in-law.

Fast forward 3-5 months.
    Jerry Adams called me tonight. He is the original owner and builder of the Fiat. He built it in 1964. This is him in the picture below. I told him about the Hamb and I hope he will post on here all of his stories about the car and racing it. Man and I excited!:D

[​IMG]

30. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

great news, Paul. What a wonderful photo