Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you say Hot Rod Inline Six Cylinder ?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hard Luck, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

This engine was a collaboration between my dad and his cousin. It's a 292, bored .030 over. It's been balanced. It's got JE forged pistons that puts the compression at about 10.5:1. It has an Engle cam with 231 @ .050 duration and .565 lift. The head is a lump port head by Self with Ferrea 1.94/1.6 valves, K-Motion springs, Bill Smith pushrods, and Harland Sharp 1.75 roller rockers. The oil pan is a polished Hamburger aluminum pan, and the timing cover is a Frank pattern finned aluminum unit, and it has a custom made ATI Super Dampner and aluminum Fidenza flywheel. The intake manifold is a Clifford 4 barrel, with a 2" Super Sucker spacer and currently there is a Holley 750 carb on it that will probably get replaced with a Predator. This is going in a '37 Ford pickup with a Richmond 5 speed behind it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bQKvdHkfTms&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bQKvdHkfTms&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Anyone else got any good videos of hot rod six cylinders ?

-Aaron

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That thing is BANANAS!!! :eek::cool:

3. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i remember reading an article years ago about a '70 chevy truck with an inline 6 that ran a 13.01 or something in the 1/4 mile. thats impressive!!

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Was the header guy on acid the day he fabbed those up?

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice throttle-response.

6. catbox

catbox

it sounds down right angry.

where is the exhaust actually going to be routed once in the truck?

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/smyHCN2DNC8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/smyHCN2DNC8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mines pretty good for an old flatty

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

That's the shit right there, a lot better sounding than my stock as a rock 250 I6

9. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Yeah, this one is figured to have around 450 horse, so in a '37 Ford pickup with no fenders, no hood, etc, it should run a little faster than a 13.01. ;)

Those are actually a set of dirt car headers. They don't make those any more. My dad's cousin used to be big into dirt track racing and has had all kinds of cool stuff for a longggg time.

It is pretty damn good......and the motor wasnt quite warmed all the way up yet either !

This is another 6 cylinder they built. It's a 250 block with a 292 crank in it. It's got a bunch of wild parts in it too. It will probably get these headers put on it, or something similar built for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that does sound good ! I had actually seen that one run a while back on here.

Yeah, they have been rounding up parts for this one for probably a year or so. The head that's on it has had the head bolt bosses cut out and had the lumps put in it, and it was ported and flowed by Glen and Kevin Self. Hell, the damn ATI dampner was special made for this engine and was $400 !

-Aaron

10. Fingers

Fingers

I notice you have the primary barrels of the carb away from the engine.
    I have my Hyper pak slant set up like that, and have been told that "it don't work too good like that" by a few people.....
    Seems to work just fine on that 292:D

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Super engines !!

Ray

12. Big Tony

Big Tony

Dammit Aaron...wished i'd known I would dig seeing that. I got to get your pops to look at my six and get it to respond like that.... damn that is killer sounding

13. bigken

bigken

THAT FRIGGIN' ROCKS. My dad raced 6's in the 50's/60's. Love seeing something other than a SBC in hot-rods.

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Cool Motor, A good built 6 will always get more attention than almost any V8 sitting next to it.

No video's, but my Ford 300 project from a couple of years ago. Offenhauser Intake, Holley 600, Comp 270 cam, and Headman Header.

[​IMG]

John Heckman likes this.
  15. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

awesome...i'd like to have something similar sitting in my 54 one of these days

16. Awesome!

Not nearly as heavily modified as yours with an Offy Intake, Edelbrock 4bbl and Langdon's cast manifolds through 2" pipe and Porters...but I dig the 292 in my '63!

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2v44D01t3Wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  17. heavy

heavy

That's awesome man. I know a guy in Ft.Worth (non HAMBer) with a gasser styled '52 chevy bus cp with a hot 292 running N.O.S. and a 4spd.
    I really dig 6's

18. TMoney

TMoney

That thing sounds great!!!

19. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

No vids yet, but here's the 292 I'm trying to stuff into my '63 Chevy II.

[​IMG]

Click on the pic for more photos.

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man these are some beautiful inline 6s great work guys , that chevy in the first clip sounds tough i really dig it

21. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

That is one badass motor. mine isn't nearly as wild, but it will beat alot of SBC's and gets a ton of attention.
    In my 28 Model A roadster.
    Chevy 292. Light weight Ross pistons, big valves, well ported, Custom ground Comp Cam 223/230, with .532/.437 lift, Topped with 2 Holley Webbers and backed by a T-5. Most fun-to-drive car I've ever had.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  22. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Amazing what a little compression and a bigger valve tickler does for the sound of an inline six. That thing sounds and looks great. Nice work!!!

23. Sounds very impressive!

24. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Thanks guys !

The combination of compression, 4 1/8" stroke, the head work and cam should make this thing scream ! The cam is spec'd to work all the way up to 6800 RPM !! :eek: In a 2000 lb little hot rod pickup with a 5 speed it should be a handful. :D

-Aaron

25. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

First fire of my buddy Rick's 302 GMC for his 52 GMC Burb..
    <object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SYwcUhC2vt4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Ignore the safety fuel tank....

26. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

How about a few from the master of the GMC 6 - Dick Bertolucci:
    The first is in his dragster which he was still running until very recent (he is 82 y/o by the way).
    The second is slated for his 40 chevy custom (notice the cross-flow head).
    And the third is just hanging around his shop - he has these things everywhere - they've been his favorite engine since he was a kid.

Attached Files:

27. moose

moose

'46 Dodge 230 in a 30 tudor.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/upAL8-Wj10o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/upAL8-Wj10o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

28. AntiBling

AntiBling

Ya I think I definitely need to remove the mufflers I got on my 54. Dual straights sound so much better than the pissed off bumble be sound.

29. Stovebolt Boy

Stovebolt Boy

moose, that thing looks and sounds awesome !!!

30. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Hardluck, having raced a Ford 310 CI Ford 6 in a 51 Anglia back in the early 70s I must say that is one badass sounding motor. Takes a lot of stagger jetting to get the fuel mixture right with 1 four barrel on them. I had toruble keeping flywheels on but that was before the Super Dampner days. Went 11.60s way back then with mine. Best of luck with yours. Kay Sissel was the Ford cyl head man, you have the Chevy expert.