Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The '32 Cabriolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpg Funny thing, I have also thought the same thing.....even though it would be nice to have roll up windows.....but they just don't have the look. Funny thing, a couple of days ago, I saved a pic of this hot rod off the web. It has the look!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

Another one from VLV! Cabrio's are awesome.

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It's a '32. People don't choose which one they want anymore. 32s are like cats, they just turn up one day and choose you. If you're lucky!
    Ed & Vicky

Twitter @edsrodshop

5. JJK

JJK

I've always loved the cabriolet no matter what year I love the idea of form and function.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Blushing and chest out proud at the same time. And yes, it found me.
    Long Beach, CA in an apartment building single car garage.
    And thanks Boss, for the kind words;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->Pic found on Carnut.com... This pic dates from 1970 or so.

Over 40 years ago, I saw a small pic of the "rear 3/4 view" of this car, in the rod magazine coverage of the Peoria Nats.. I have never forgotten how much that rear view looked so perfect to me. I have not found that old pic on the net yet, or the old magazine.

Hotrods looked so different then, compared to what is built today in modern times. I miss the old builds.

Something is lacking today...maybe too antiseptic, too perfect, or too many decades of trends mixed up on a single car....

Attached Files:

8. F&J

F&J

Some years back, I bought the wrecked remains of a 5w. I was just going to build a rod. I simply could not get it to look right to me. I was building a highboy because I quess I thought those were popular these days.

I've made more redo's on the car that I can count. It just never looked right for my tastes. I now know that what looks right to me, is what I saw back in the 60s...not todays build trends. Also, there were no highboys in my local area way back to the mid 60s, so I have no old memories of those.

It's not a real cabriolet, but close enough for my memories.

Somebody copied my color:D:D

Attached Files:

9. 39wagon

39wagon

Anyone have a pic of Art Gray's blue '32 cab? He brought it over to our house once and I fell in love with it. It was well used in '60 but still was enough to set me looking for it ever since!

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

11. I don't know the owner's name, but I took this picture at last years Rodders Jounal Revival. It is a very nice car!

Attached Files:

12. squirrel

squirrel

The maroon car used to be Steves....it is a nice car! and it's the only Deuce I've ever driven.

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F&J: Way back when R&C, showed that'32 cab, saying a couple of young NJ Rodders ,treked out to the nats in her. I can't remember what issue or the rest of the story,but if I track it down I will post it.

14. F&J

F&J

Good memory....... The caption said something like.... Two 18 year old guys from drove out from NJ , and that "the 283 block stayed cracked". Remember how the editors would say goofy things like that;)

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some times, that old stuff comes right out, sometimes it doesn't. That's a dang good look'n cab your work'n on there; as well as the rest shown.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is one in one of the early issues of Morty's revived yearly Hop Up mag. I'll have to dig it up and scan later today when I get back in. It was a collection of pictures of a car that was supposedly built in L.A. in the forties and made it's way to Texas in the fifties where the pictures were shot. It was a highboy, and the windshield was chopped and just ever so slightly leaned back with Carson type top.... LUST!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey man, that photo was dynamically pulled from the user's thread. I sent you a pm... And am not at all cool with stealing someone else's work. We will make it right.

Great shot btw.

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here is my old buddy Bill's car,... It now belongs to another Bill in Texas,.. Last I herd it was going to get blown apart and given a complete rebuild at So-Cal... But it was a great running,driving, riding, handling Hot Rod when it left.... Fun car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

We park next to this gentleman every year at the hot rod reunion.

No, the picture isn't reversed :)

Rich

Attached Files:

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It seems to me that really heavy chops and smart looking tops really help these cars...

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

I hate to digress into the world of street rods,....... BUT !.. Best roof line I ever seen on a Cabriolet was when Lobeck chopped and canted back the A pillar on them..... I could without a doubt live with one of these !

[​IMG]

This was from a auction sight
    [​IMG]

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good call harms...

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

Alright,.... I Know this is a sport coupe,..... But .... DANG !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  24. F&J

F&J

^ yes, those 2 cabriolet chops are real good. I think the last pic is a Connecticut built car, and I think 37Kid said it survived and was/is in Dave Simards collection a couple years ago?

25. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

As much as I like a roadster, there are days when I would welcome roll up windows

26. F&J

F&J

Seems like the 40s rods rarely got a chop or channel, and maybe slightly later ones did not get chopped if it was a rural built car?

Then early 50s saw channeled across the country, but still not many chopped then?

But 60s saw chopping pretty much common.

The stock 32 cabriolet bodies have some strange lines in the tops, and also the way that the windshield posts seem to splay out at the tops, when looking from the front center view. Not easy to get all the lines good IMO

One thing that helps, is to make the back edge of the door windows canted forward, rather than standing straight up like stock. You can see that mod on ex-Steve's burgandy car in this post.

Attached Files:

27. A bit "Street Roddy" for the HAMB ... but I've always liked this (Magoo-built) Deuce Cabriolet:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

First Hot Rod I ever saw on the street around 1961, Compo Beach in Westport, Ct. I was 10 years old, and it made a lasting inpression.Were is this car today? Bob [​IMG]

29. Frank, i went looking for the build thread on this car an couldn't find it. how is the progress? etc.?

30. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

One that's been at Bruce's for awhile.

Attached Files: