Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my long desired 34 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Jul 19, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

since i was young, younder than i already am i should say, i wanted a 33-34 3 window coupe... the 32 is well liked car but it never caught my eye like the 34's.. ive been to many of car show and cruise ins. always drewling over the super cool 33-34 ford that some guy brought out of the wood work..... once i was old enough to afford a project, i couldnt ever find the car i wanted. so i built other things, such as my blown flathead model a coupe... i finally got the ends tied up on it and its completed. so i decided to set out to look for a 33-34. steel or fiberglass, 3 window or even a 5 window. i jsut wanted that long swooping grill and that roof line to kill for. i have talked to alot of guys about fixing steel 33-34 cars.. and i have asked for alot of opinions of a glass car and its purpose as to a steel car...
    after talking with a friend and telling him i wanted a steel 3 window 34, he laughed and said good luck, you wont find one and when you do you want be able to afford even the body shell. and damn was he right. i spent alot of time shopping around for several years, keeping my eye out for one that may pop up for sale.. no luck.
    i always had in my mind what i wanted. a hellacious lakes chop, slight channel. open wheel, big and little black walls on solid wheels, long bullet head and tail lights, louvered deck lid and hood, smooth side panels with fender aprons.. just the basic lakes style car with a splash of the good ol rolling bones...
    now hear me out before everyone jumps my ass...... i told a friend what i wanted. he said i know where there is one sitting, but its glass. i was ok with that for several reasons.. 1- i want a driver. i want to drive this car till the wheels fall off, slap em back on and keep driving... 2 me and my wife want to drive a car to the saltflats...... im not waiting 20 years to find, afford, and repair a steel car. im impatient as it gets. 3 when some jack ass pulls out in front of me and i cant stop in time, im out alot of cash, but i have insurance... im not out a rare vintage piece of ford automotive history.. i am out a mint factory chassis and drivetrain, but a shell that several companies make every single day... i wont be sick for ten years about my old coupe that got totaled and can never be replaced...4 i dont care what the car is worth, its mine. im building it for me. its not for sale, and it never will be. its for me to enjoy and drive. have fun with. not to get all bent out of shape when someone slams the door or i hit a racoon.. i want to be able to take it places and crawl in and out of it, let a lil kid climb all over it like i did when i was little... if someone wants to drive it, toss em the keys.. thats what has been done to me and i am for ever greatfull..
    anyways. here is what i bought. its a mint, restored 34 ford drivetrain ( someone yanked the body for a street rod) with 40 ford brakes, original trans and rear with 3:78 gears. updated steerng arms and such... and a nicely hand laid 34 ford lakes style chop body. it came with everything to complete the entire car minus and engine. it was a project of a friend of a friend, he just didnt have time to get to it.. he is a hard core hotrodder. and he even love the idea behind building a glass car.... thats why he purchased it. he was very hesitant to sell it, but i wanted it, bad, it was perfect. and it was less than a third of what i would of had in just getting a new glass shell.
    we got it home last night. i was so damn excited to finally have a 33-34 ford in my garage real or fake or what ever you want to call it.. im proud of it and its exactly what i wanted.:D i owe a thanks to the guy who sold it to me... it wasnt something he wanted to let go.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Cusco likes this.
  2. tinmann

tinmann

Good for you. You got your dream car. Will we see a build thread? Where are the damn pictures?

3. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Congrats on the model 40 and I think that TFeverFred "calls them kit cars", even wrote a letter to R&C.

4. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Come on man, I just took 5 min. of my life reading that cool story and no pics?

5. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

who cares if its glass if you do it up as desribed it will be a bad ass car and if you do stumble across a steel body later you can always swap the glass one out. but wheres the pics?

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374247614.225294.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374247635.936763.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374247652.994720.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374247671.119416.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374247691.773018.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

TCATTC likes this.
  7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

sorry guys! you all replied while i was uploading pics :) the plan is to build the car, someday when i stumble on a steel shell, it will be swapped out. but until then, ill enjoy my investment the only way i know how, building it and driving the hell out of it!

8. Go gettum.........

9. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

subscribed. I really enjoyed following your blown flathead thread. I know this one will be just a fun.

10. A very good post with alot of good reasons to do it in glass. I have been thinking along the same lines for quite awhile and may end doing what you have started. Please keep the build thread up and running with updates so we can see the finshed product.

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Who cares , if it steel or glass, as long as it is build with style.
    I'm sure you will build a bitchin hot rod out of it

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - tip of the glass to you - just don't paint fake patina on it.

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

She will be coated on good old red oxide primer with some black steeles, and some nice cooker white letter firestones. A healthy sounding flathead, and still 6 volt .. Also the gentleman that sold me the car, his father is an old school hotrodder, he does louvers. So he is doing my steel deck lid

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Glad that you finally got what you wanted. I know from experience what you mean about the cost of a steel 34 coupe, they are out of range for a lot of guys. But that does not mean you should not build the car you want, and you have stated very good reasons for going with this glass project. I really like the fact you are using an original chassis - that will go a long ways towards creating a traditional rod - and if it is anything like your Model A build, we know it will turn out well! Good luck and congrats!

15. I would take a glass car if it had all the stock hinges, firewall, door handles, roll out window, title, etc. Eddies rod shop has a good looking glass body with a 1.5" chop. I have seen many glass cars that would pass as a steel car. Good luck!

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

the only bad thing is, i will have to do a special build hot rod title.. easy in PA... this car will have all the stock external hinges, it has factory door handles, tilt winsheild, im installing the working cowl vent, the fire wall i will leave glass, for this reason: it is the best looking one ive seen yet, it has the factory ribs and sheetmetal dimples, it has been recessed a little, not like most others i have researched. but it looks good.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ss34, your cars a great inspiration! ive been watching your threads and posts.. the 34 barn find is crazy! thats is something i have always wanted to stumble on, a barn find like that! thanks for the complements and ill do my best to make this build as traditional as i can.

18. love the new project. Let me just say if all these fools weren't so scrap happy, things would be a little easier to come across. Then when demand for something that is hard to now get goes up, the aftermarket comes in and makes glass. You get alot of opinions on it, just like patina. But fact is, if we keep the original metal around and help preserve it the true future of rods, customs and originals will stay alive for our generation and our kids. You get alot of old school guys that look down on a lot of stuff these days, but times change of course. Its guys like you that want to keep as much of the traditional aspect alive, glass or not. its not just about one thing. atleast your not throwing a sbc in it (lets not start a debate on that). anyway, I started a thing called the rescue network, I'm working on the site. But it will be kind of like craigslist for antiques. So if something is going to get scrapped or needs a new home it will be a good outlet for it. your last build was awesome and so will this. congrats.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Bitchen!!!! That's awesome man.

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

A well executed 34 or 33 3W with a wicked chop says "I'm going to kill you,... and then laugh about it !".... regardless of whether it's glass or steel,...... Build your dream and be proud of the end results. screw the naysayers......

Looking forward to this build !

21. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Congrats, that's going to be a bad ass ride.

22. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Glad to see a fellow rodder realize his dream. Nothing quite like cruising around in a '34 3W!

23. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Would love to know who the body manufacturer is ? If you could find out or know please post it ? I would love to get a body with those options.

24. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Congratulations, I'm happy for you.
    JJ

25. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

sweet--ill follow this one too

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That should be a fun build. 90% of the fun is building what you want and not just what you can afford. Have fun and keep us updated.

27. I just love all your ideas and reasoning for this build,will be keeping a close watch on your progress. Its so cool !! All the best ,JW :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  28. jimvette59

jimvette59

Bless you keep the HOT ROD alive. I was lucky to find mine in the early sixties for 450.00 an old drag car. Be it steel or glass build it and drive it like you stole it.

29. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Yeah, what company made the body?

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374271225.782624.jpg