Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project '47 Nash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bpg_austin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Hi gang. I'm a new poster here, but have been lurking for quite a while. A coworker and myself have been on the prowl for a project and finally found the right candidate! 1947 Nash 600 Super. Doesn't look like there's much Nash activity here.. so I hope this thread can provide some entertainment at least. (eek, hope I'm in the right place!)
    Our goal with the project is a budget build that allows us to make it to the round-up next summer here in Austin. She needs LOVE, but is savable. The outer body is surprisingly rust free and this car will get the CLR and satin clear treatment. Our goal is to create a mild hot rod, keeping it mostly original minus a few inches in ride height.
    We were really pleased to find this car in Dallas last week. There is definitely some unibody rot that will be addressed. However, she's darn near complete in every way. Trim, gauges, interior (or what's left of it..) all the way down to the Nash hubcaps and beauty rings! Very cool! Engine is the original inline and turns over by hand. Other driveline condition is unknown, but will be gone through over the next year or so. We're trying to save the driveline, but cost will determine.
    Looking forward to diving in and getting help/encouragement from the Hamb group.
    We'll be looking for someone with a metal brake in the next few months for panel forming if any local Austinites are interested in swapping some powdercoating work or a few cases of beer. :)
    Thanks for letting me join the circle! Progress will be slow as we only have a few hours a week to play in the garage.
    Sorry for the novel, I guess this is my introduction as well.

Ben in Austin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Welcome to the HAMB from New Zealand. That sure is a unique car, I really like the more uncommon brands and yours is a nice example. Really look foward to seeing some future progress.

3. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Welcome to the HAMB. I saw that nash on eBay right? I know because I've been searching for parts for my 47 ambassador. Your right there is not a lot around or interest, but I think they are very cool with their "conditioned air" lol. I've found basic tune up parts on eBay for the ohv 6, as for a complete rebuilt it starts to get pricy. I'm going to try to run my six if I can too. If yours is a 600 it should have coils all the way around right? You going to chop them? Keep in mind it is a positive ground six volt battery when buying one. Well good luck with her, post updates

4. 28-31

28-31

Very cool build!

5. cw1949

cw1949

Looks good in the shop, can't wait to see some updates. Throw some pictures up when you get it cleaned up.

6. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Wow, this is an active board. Thanks guys. I don't think this was on e-bay but can't say for sure prior to finding it on CL.
    Yep, this is a coilsprung car on all 4 corners. Amazing for back in '47.. Rear should be easy to crop a coil or two, looks like we'll be fabbing some custom drop spindles for the front to maintain the steering geometry. We're all talk now as we haven't dug into it yet. One small thing at a time.. We're wrenching tomorrow, will be pulling the plugs and see if she'll turn over for giggles..

Corey, when you moving back here to help??

7. cw1949

cw1949

After this crappy winter I'm thinking of it!

8. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Welcome aboard from another Nash owner, good luck with your project.

Attached Files:

9. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

Nice project car, I've always liked the Nash!

10. 'Mo

'Mo

I like it, especially if you can save the drivetrain!
    Does it have an OD tranny?

11. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Thanks 'Mo! We're attempting the 'save'. The old inline is just too cool..
    No idea on the OD tranny.. I'll report back when I can check.

butcherted: Beautiful car. Your door gaps look really tight. Mine are similar. Is this common to Nash's?

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Welcome from Alaska.That Nash is pretty cool .You and your friend chose a cool car to get going good luck and look forward to seeing progress pics.Yes this is a very active board.

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I love those!! That's going to be a cool project!! I agree with saving the keeping the inline!

14. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I have a complete '47 Nash Ambassador that needs a new home.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      230.7 KB
      Views:
  15. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Update: had a few hours last night to wrench. Thought we'd give it the old college try to crank the engine over before anything else. After pulling the plugs we found she'd hand crank 359 deg then hit a hard stop. Weird.. Stuck tappet?? It didn't take long to make the decision to pull and place the engine on the stand. So, last night was dedicated to tearing her down enough to pull. Trans coming out at the same time for cleaning/inspection. We made good headway and expect to see it come out next time..

A few interesting observations last night. Valve inspection panels revealed 50 years (or more, car may have not been on the road since '58 best we can tell) of oil build-up in the valve area. ICK> C
    oupler out the back of the generator is shot, so the waterpump isn't turning.
    Transmission mount is a rubbery, gooky mess and the bolts may have to be heated to be pulled from it. I think they were molded into this mount. Something to tackle next time.. Anyhow, a few hours of good progress. We're slowly removing trim, tagging and bagging in prep for metal and paintwork.
    Ben

Attached Files:

16. cw1949

cw1949

Wow, looks like some good head way. Hopefully the inside will look better when you get it out and cleaned up.

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool project.. Have fun with your adventure...

18. gatz

gatz

great lookin ol' Nash, especially a good find like a coupe (or, as Bogie would say; "coopay")

Good luck with it. Have you found the culprit of the engine not turning over completely?

19. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Hey, thanks gatz! We had no particular car in mind when we started the hunt.. Lovin this car more and more as we tear into it.

Nope, nothing on the engine yet. Probably be a week or two before we get it up on the stand and start cleaning. I'll post up what we find.

20. Mick.Delisle

Mick.Delisle
    from Canada

Gotta love the Nash. Always keeps people guessing what kind of car it is. Is this a Willys?,????

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

is it a unibody? if it is your probably gona be best off strengthening the floors up a bit IMO. I've had a good look over at a sedan one of the same year when quoting a resto job on it and the whole underbody seemed kinda 'flimsy' to me. The condition of the inner and outer rockers and bottoms of the door posts are important on any car but even more so on these Nashs.
    On a plus, they are different and have loads of room in 'em!! All the best on getting her back cruising :)

22. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Thanks fleet-master. I'll have to agree with you on the flimsy aspect. Planning on getting her back to factory (ish) in metalwork, then post up some pics for the Hambers to give feedback on any possible reinforcements. We're still a ways away from dusting off the welder. Your feedback is much appreciated.
    BG

23. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

update: slow progress as its hard to find garage time. We pulled the engine last week, took about 4 hrs. Interior is starting to get gutted, vacuumed up about 5lbs of rat turds under the rear seats. NASTY stuff. We've taken a few pics of the cushions for reference when we reupholster. Other than that, next wrench session we'll get the inline up on the stand and pull the pan and head to see what we're working with. Engine still rotates 359 deg before hitting a hard lock. Should be interesting to see. I'm still betting stuck tappet, but who knows at this point. Lots of degreasing and general cleaning ahead.. Thats the slow and not-so-steady update. :)

Ben

Attached Files:

24. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

That will be one cool ride. Nothing like having an Orphan. They need luvin too especially the little girlie on the hood!!! I stll have that '47 Ambassador that I'd sell cheap if ya need parts.

25. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

oldwood, too bad you're not closer. We're on a budget with this project but the Ambassador engine would be a cool HP upgrade for the mouse motor.. We're aim to ROCK that 88hp. :)

Actually, I'll keep you posted in case ours is junk when we open it.

26. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I'm just next door here in Razorback country. Little Rock is not that far. My '47 has been sitting for years also. But the price is right.

27. Leckemby

Leckemby

What are you ideas for brakes?

28. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Haven't given it a whole lot of thought yet Leckemby. I suspect the only immediate mod to the braking system will be a dual pot master cylinder. Also depends on if we can get shoes/replacement parts for her. We'll be retaining the original wheels. An upgrade to manual disks would be a nice addition but not on the 'to do' list yet.

29. raven

raven

I bet you'll find some sort of mouse debris in a cylinder that's causing it to not turn completely.
    r

30. Leckemby

Leckemby

Cool I just "happened" upon one and was wondering what others have done...I will keep checking your progress...they are cool old cars.