Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new love... 1956 Caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PinstriperGirl, Sep 16, 2012.

1. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

I gave up on my dream of having a shoebox and fell in love with the 56. She's a bit rough and needs some work but will be coming home hopefully next weekend. I can't wait to get started on my first project! :D

I'll update the post as things come along.

Attached Files:

2. better than a shoe box! what's the plan?

3. Good looking boat. Have fun.

4. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

It's a 95% complete car, I'm hoping to salvage the original paint and interior. Half of the engine is currently in the trunk so we are planning on a fuel injected SBC and overdrive trans (for reliability). Disc brakes on the front. Slam it, stripe it, drive it!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

5. oj

oj

Love it! There is one of them for sale sitting at the end of a driveway and i have to turn my head whenever i go past it. Those things are incredible. Good choice.

6. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

right on!!!

7. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

Nice ride! One of my favorites to.

8. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

You chose wisely ,I have the same one,I love it !

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dig it! Where about in Michigan are you?

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SBC in a Caddy :(

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cool, I'll always have a soft spot for a 56 caddy, my first real car.
    Caddy engines are just as reliable as chevys.

12. That`s a whole lot o Land Yacht there wadda ya figure....3500lbs?

13. NoPaint

NoPaint

That stock engine will be amazingly reliable. Putting an OD trans on the stock motor would be the best route and also keep the value equal or even higher than before you tear it apart. The sbc will make the vehicle less desirable to most all people including yourself over time.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '56 Cad Coupe DeVille, in '62. Black car just had to be rubbed out, looked like fresh lacquer.
    Had it 'A'-Framed (lowered) and flattened rear springs, with 3" blocks...it was LOW...

Drove it into an open manhole near Spivey's drive-in, just had 5 miles on it!
    Cleaned off the whole left side suspension, took 2 tow trucks to 'hook it up' to get it home. Two nights later, I was BACK!
    That Kitty really got the eyeballs...(El Dorado chrome wires, inchwall tires)

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I preached that same sermon to a friend of mine with a '48 Series 62 Cad sedan...but he 350'd it and is still driving it 8 years later...Nothing was 'cut', and the Cad package can be dropped back in if he likes.

But he says it'll probably never happen, as he likes 21 MPG. (pretty good mileage for a 350, said I...

"All the time," said he.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Four door hardtops are semi-rare...and that one should weigh in at about 4600 plus

Congrats on the purchase...hate to see you go with an SBC ..but a overdrive tranny to the old engine would be $$$...

Ya know, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a later model Caddy engine, I have a '70 500" and a T-400 in my '55...and if you want to see and view the 5 1/2 year build, go here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

Good luck with it...it's better than a shoebox and it'll ride smoother...

R-

17. smarg

smarg

Way better than a shoebox.

I dig the SBC idea if your gonna drive the piss out of the car!

18. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

19. way cool! I like the way you think! Do it! Or maybe a bigblock Chevy...

20. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

I wish I could keep the caddy motor in it, but the motor is a basket case. The caddy motor parts are expensive and not readily available. Plus I'm hoping to get enough fuel economy that I can afford to drive it.

21. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Driving them is what it's all about. But expect to take some flak for your engine choice.

22. trippleOGalex

trippleOGalex

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

4dr hardtop,sweet ride.good luck with your build

24. brady1929

brady1929

25. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

My brother just finished having the 365 cad. rebuilt in his 56, machine shop, parts and labor, $5300.00 If you have the money for the caddy engine by all means build it , but if not there is nothing wrong with a small or big block chevy. Or really blow them away with a big Ford!!

26. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

That Caddy is sweet. Put the chev in but don't get rid of the Cad engine. Hang on to it and buy parts for it a little at a time. Then one day drop it back in with an overdrive and the world will be a better place. Have fun with your new ride. Good choice.

27. grapp

grapp

That's a sweet car...stick with your plan so you can drive it, and keep the install as clean as possible so you hev the option of putting the cad driveline back one day...

28. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

Great cars ( i have one too)! I think that replacing the engine/trans is a goog idea for fuel economy! But you do not need to do the discbrake conversion, even for a big boat the original brakes are really good ( maybe put in a dual mastercylinder!)

Sigge!

30. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Of course it's better than a Shoebox. Don't give up on finding another Caddy motor for it. 472, 500, 425, or 368 would be good choices.