Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taking a break from the dirty stuff, making a gauge panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybucket, Oct 2, 2007.

1. rustybucket

rustybucket

I thought you guys might enjoy some pics of my latest creation for the lakes roadster. I decided to take a break from chassis work and do a fun little moral booster project. The result is this gauge panel for a hand pressure pump. Destined for under dash duty, A US Gauge co. WWII low range fuel pressure gauge will provides the vital stats. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from the dirty stuff and get recharged.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Nice work. I love it when people spend the time on the details. I can only imagine what the rest of the car will look like.

3. Frank

Frank

I hear you. Sometimes you gotta spend some time with the pretty stuff besides all the rust and dirty work. Putting my grill on and mounting headlights charged me up and now I've got a whole new motivation.

Beautiful work...and photography. Are you using a craytex bit to do your engine turning?

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

5. rustybucket

rustybucket

Thanks for the compliments…

This is the second time I’ve engine turned something. I still haven’t gotten it 100% down yet. For this go around I used sandpaper laminated to foam double stick tape. It didn’t work out as well as expected. The sandpaper wore out pretty quickly. I ended up making a disk for every row. I haven’t tried the craytex bits yet.

Chris

Attached Files:

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I love it, the brass hardware is a nice touch

7. Nice work!! Where did you find the gauge?

Wish I had known about your project. I sure want to trade a panel mount pump for a cowl mount.

8. raaf

raaf

terrific work and excellent photos.

9. Very cool!:cool: Nice work and neat looking old parts!

10. Man I need to be a machinist. I love engine turned stuff :) That is gorgeous even if its not 100% perfect, looks great in my book, and best part of all its 100% hand made by you yourself..

11. Nah, just need a drill press and a lot of patience.

12. u know I thought of that too but with my luck one screw up and id have to start all over again lol

13. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Wow I've never seen a fuel pressure gauge used with manual fuel pump. Was that something they did back in the day? Anyway, nice work, I've always thought engine turned stuff was the coolest.

14. I've seen a few of these hand pressure pumps, how do they work? What type of engine is it for?

15. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Really well thought out and nicely executed. Great pix, too.

- Joe

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

thats friggin cool...can't wait to see the rest of it

17. jonny o

jonny o

Beautiful parts... Beautiful lighting...
    Good to see the cold in Cbus doesn't have you stir crazy.
    Thanks

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very nice! I know what you mean about getting away from some of the heavy work. I find that kind of stuff to be fun and relaxing.

You do nice work.

19. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Great work, Chris.......

See you at the showdown in May.......

Brucie

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

NIIIICE! love the little details like this. the brass screws against the alluminum is a nice detail within this detail. real nice work.