Register now to get rid of these ads!

blasting abrassive ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckykid, Apr 17, 2005.

1. luckykid

luckykid
    from Seattle,WA

I just got a small spot blaster to do some of the badly pitted areas on my Packard and was wondering what would be the best type of abrassive to use as not to blast through or heat up the metal to much and warp it.

2. screwtheman

screwtheman

I tend to use glass bead for everything. But I did pick up Aluminum Oxide to strip my motorcycle frame. If it's sheet metal, I'd suggest walnut shell.

Glass bead can be a pain to clean out of tight spaces though. I've always wanted to try "sugar blasting" since it seems to be the same consistency as the glass bead and would dissolve away with water. But moisture would probably be a bigger enemy than it already is. There's also "soda blasting" where they use baking soda, but all the research I've done on it seems that you need a special blaster to use it. Not sure why. :confused:

Personally, I find media blasting a very gratifying chore. Have fun and good luck!

3. luckykid

luckykid
    from Seattle,WA

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

sugar blasting?? man thats SWEET.

5. Noname38

Noname38

6. There is a new product to replace SDilaca sand tht is for a safety concern.....
    Seems the dust created when Silica breaks up is severe and is now outlawed for blasting.
    I found and have used the new replacement -aCoal product called Black Beauty.
    It seems as aggressive as Silica and does not tend to dissentigate on impact -therefore producing less dust hazzard......
    Im sure there a few variations on name but I'd say-check it out for yourself.....

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:eek: :eek: NOW YOU TELL ME???? I just blasted, outside, 320 POUNDS of silica sand yesterday AND another 300 pounds today!:eek: :eek: ........ well at least I got ALL my top bows, my dash, and my 4 steel wheels done before I'm going die from inhaling the dust;)

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Denise, You did have a tight fitting mask with filter on when you were blasting didn't you? If not you probably inhaled some BAD particles. From now on have Roadstar do that for you.:eek: :D

Frank

9. screwtheman

screwtheman

You can get glass bead and aluminum oxide from Harbor Freight in Everett. If you call ahead, they'll tell you what they've got and hold it for you up front if you want it. I went in on a crazy weekend day, couldn't get anyone to help me (it was a madhouse), I went out in the parking lot and called from my cell phone and had it in paid for and in my car in about 5 minutes. :D

10. luckykid

luckykid
    from Seattle,WA

thanks, I was the one in kent yesterday and it was a mad house too. Do you know any where to get the walnut shells, I was going to stop by wesco tomarrow.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

WALNUT SHELLS:

I called my pal Roger, at the feed store here. That was Tuesday, he said it would be in Thursday (today)
    Roger has a neat '27 T rdstr/P/U, and is right on with 'special orders'.
    25 lb. bag will net me $6.25. (I bought 25 lbs. of 80 grit glass beads from H.F. last week for $28.95!
    But I had my Grand Opening Easter 25% off coupon...the long, slim yellow leather slab ticket with the blue spanch across it... dropped price to $21.88!

So try the ag feed store. Lots of 'em in Washington...
    Hey, Kid: What's that they say about 'When you leave Seattle, turn the lights out?'

12. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Mike, it's been 9 years ago, he's prob. got it done by now.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

two thousand five. this thread is nine years old.

14. I would hope in 9 years he has finished his blasting.:D

15. BTW,Denise did not succumb to silica dust..she is still around!:D HRP

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Somebody point me in the direction of 25lb@$6.25 walnut shells please. We've got feed stores locally, wondering what they use 'em for & if they would stock them here. (old threads DO come in handy sometimes)

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use the Black Beauty, it makes a nasty mess, but does a good job. I buy it the local Menards store (similar store to Lowes or Home Depot) It lasts for a couple of cycles before it breaks down too bad to use again