Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39-'42 Studebaker Gasser Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, May 22, 2009.

1. Hey how about some Stude gassers, here's some to start.
    My next ones gonna have to be a '41 coupe or sedan. apr15001.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_5728.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

MVC-011S.JPG

user15174_pic15804_1220177322.jpg

StudeGasser.jpg

stude1.jpg

stude001.jpg

stude.jpg

rc3.jpg

rc2.jpg

2. Studebaker%20Circa%201973Lowville%20Pa%20Dragstrip%203pictures%201.JPG

starliner.jpg

PotterFaustWillys.jpg

Al%20Peirson.jpg

Al%20Peirson%202.jpg

coupe15.jpg

Here's some more, anyone else?

3. Cool thanks. Anymore out there?

4. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

been doing some of my own research..... here's a few that I've turned up with my searches....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope somebody pipes up with more. I haven't had my fill yet.

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

6. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

anybody else hiding any pictures out there?

I'll be starting on my '40 stude gasser next week......

7. Thanks alot man, the Super Stude is too bitchen. I'm gonna put it on the drag cars in motion thread. Keep me posted on yours and any parts your looking for.

8. Studemike

Studemike

Great Pictures!!! Working on a 42 Champion Gasser. Bought it from a friend recently that originally built it in the 60's. Will post pix when we get some. Looking for a rear trunk lid...anyone have one?????? 618-979-6766 Thanks

9. gup

gup
    from Washington

10. gup

gup
    from Washington

Her's a pic of mine, I am still looking for some history if anyone recognizes it.[​IMG]

11. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

He's a few pics of my stuff. Not sure on the history of the car. It has been modified by several owner over the years and hard to get a handle on it's history if there is any. I'm guessing mainly used has a hot rod/street car most it's life because it still had the stock front suspension in it when I got it. I lopped off the front frame and welded in a new front section. Installed a 7" drop straight axle...that was when I had intentions of keeping it a street car. Nice thing is that I got a 0" drop straight axle and now they are interchangeable. Have yet to get the time to get the straight axle in, but hoping to this week. Still have a long way to go, but it's a start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Pull the trigger. Either way you're likley to get a bang.

13. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Here's one. I know i have more, have to dig through my archives haha.

Attached Files:

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's been 40 years since I saw this car run at Capitol Raceway Park in Crofton, Md. I only saw it one night. It hit a special nerve in my feeble brain that night. I was so impressed with it that it stuck in my brain all these years. I've seen a lot of gassers over the years but this and the Filthy Forty are the two that light my fire. It ran great, sounded awesome and looked like a million bucks. I've asked about this car several times and someone said that it was wrecked shortly after it was built. Do you know where and when this picture was taken?

I know how silly this sounds but this car was a baaaad....shut your mouth.:D

When I saw this post I was going to ask again and then here it is!

15. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Wow.............I can't believe it when I saw this photo.

I will give a little background about this coupe. It was built and raced out of Hanover Pa by Larry Lillich & Charlie Garrett. Charlie had raced a couple of 55 chevys, a 40 willys coupe , opel Gt and a record holding 56 chevy and a 33 willys coupe that I currently own.

Charlie had built this 39 Stude in the early sixties and told me it was one of his favorite cars. In the early 60's it was originally painted red and then about 65 or 66 it was gone over and painted black. The car ran a very healthy 30 over 265 chevy with hilborn injection with 12:1 compression.

It had a early truck rear with 6 lug (or pin) Halibrands in the back with the little windows on the front. The front axle was a CAE unit with 40 Willys spindles and Hurst airheart brakes. The car had a very clean interior with a pair of VW seats and a LOT of aluminum work in the floor and dash.

The reason I can relay this info is that I'm in the process of cloning the car with the help of the original owner. Charlie has been a good friend of mine since the late 70's and was nice enough to give me all his photograghs and personal info to help me duplicate this car. I too fell in love with his outstanding workmanship. His cars are always well built and have the look. The original car was sold to a man in Lancaster Pa, and we have a picture of the car at a cruise night in the early 70's, but that was the last the car was seen. I don't believe the car was wrecked, I think it could be sitting in a basement or garage somewhere.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE THE ORIGINAL CAR IS?

I have some original photo's of the car that I will be posting for you that will knock your socks off. All I have to do is round them up and get my other half to help me.

I'm also looking for taillights and headlight assembly for the car.

16. gup

gup
    from Washington

17. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Here is a pic of the car from 1967, i'll post more later.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      524.9 KB
      Views:
  18. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Gup..........Here is a shot of the interior. I don't think its the same car.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      363.4 KB
      Views:
  19. PA Gas

PA Gas

We have a 39 Champ coupe that we have tried to find pics or history on and it is in PA. It might even be that car but there are some differances like the front axle etc. I'll post up some pics tonite. I might be able to help with your missing pieces and more.

20. PA Gas

PA Gas

Here is a pic of ours. It was black had blue plexi,looong ladder bars, 34 ford axle drilled with 40 backing plates drilled etc. It even came with an unpainted Charlie Hill glass front. I have more pics that I will post.

Attached Files:

21. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Thanks for the reply on the stude coupe. Your coupe looks GREAT. Do you have everything to put it together? Whats your plans for your stude? The car I was tring to find had a early chevy 3/4 truck rear with a ladder bar system that went around the back of the rear ...........like a cage to keep from twisting the housing with looooooong traction bars.

It also had a set of glass doors and trunk lid. The dash was also fiberglass with aluminum panels. The front axle was an early CAE unit that had 40 Willys spindles and Hurst airheart brakes.
    If I can I will try to post some of the pictures of the car this weekend. I got them from the man who owned and raced it in the early 60's. They were taken when it was featured in Hot Rod magazine in 1967.

I see that you have an Austin pick-up do you also have a Thames panel. Ive owned a 48 Morris Van for the last 30 years that looks like the anglia panel.

Yours Stude man in Ltown Pa
    :D

22. PA Gas

PA Gas

Here are some more of our car.

Attached Files:

23. 5w32

5w32

awesome thread , lets see some more!

24. BobG

BobG

Howard Corwin and Sandy Johnson ran a Red, White & Blue Stude Sedan in AA/Gas durning the late 60's out of Denver.

The car is said to be rotting away somewhere around Rawlings Wyoming sitting outside with bullitt holes in it.
    The car was a beautiful car in it's time.
    I remeber it being a magazine feture car once in (I think) Hot Rod.

25. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I'm making a little headway......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to get some bigger slicks in the rear to get the ass up a bit and some smaller tires for the front. I'm trying to chase down a set of skinnys for the front right now.

I wasn't sure about it, but decided to put it up in the air and see how it grew on me. What do ya'll think?

26. Your headed in the right direction!

27. 1hotstude

1hotstude

In "SLOW" work......

350/350/FORD 9 INCH

"SOMEDAY!"

Attached Files:

28. 1hotstude

1hotstude

a FEW MORE nEATO Stude gas PICS! Keep them coming!

Attached Files:

• studee.jpg
      studee.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg