Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pete Millino's Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

This is great stuff for those of us who have shoeboxes.

I, myself, am going for an earlier look, but this later stuff is very interesting to--obviously--see how, and to think about why they did it.

Then, too, I always wonder how so-called "late" cars like this, with extensive adding of late-'50s parts, would look to our modern eyes if they were built today.

Would we think it was too much? What do you guys think?

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I like most of it a lot, but the big flat blank area above the license plate looks a bit odd. It could use something, I'm just not sure what.

[​IMG]

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow-very Kool-Thanks for posting

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Front end looks happy, like a clown.
    Back end looks sad, forlorn.

Not feelin' this one.....

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The overall look of the ride is nice. The grill not so much why people screw with the stock grill is beyond me. They look killer as is.

7. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

How 'bout a license plate?

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The '55 Pontiac rear facebar used isn't tall enough to fill this void, perhaps the front facebar from a '57 Plymouth minus the ends would be a better fit. The Plymouth facebar is a taller part, and comes with a ''Kaiser'' guard already built in. The ends of the '55 Pontiac would work if grafted to the Plymouth and be a better match for the side profile of this build.
    The Pontiac's split facebar became a default mode, much like the DeSoto grilles in kustom builds-easy & simple, but predictable!

" Swanky Devils C.C."

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I like just about anything to do with a shoebox since I have 2 of them . I am always looking for some good ideas before I start cutting away on mine . I have to agree that the BIG BLANK flat panel on the rear just has to go ! Something has to be put or painted there . A good airbrush of something would really look nice . Plenty of area to work with for sure .

Retro Jim

10. I really like the front end treatment.

The problem for me isn't that blank area, it is the crossover of the body reveal between the lights plus the trunk lid feels like it has been shortened too much.

The other way would be to french the License plate into the blank area and run a club plaque on the bumper.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would not kick that out of my garage.....love it!!

12. 76ironhead

76ironhead

i'm with you hombres ruin the grill really dosen't do it for me like the stock grill. The front looks to much like a face. But the rest of the car is killer.

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

Ultra smooth in my opinion.

14. jroberts

jroberts

I like the overall look, of course in my opinion it is hard to improve on the stock look of those shoebox Fords. I think the rear would look a bit better if it had a solid and shaved rear bumper without the license plate mounting area. Then the license could be Frenched into that blank panel between the trunk lip and the bumper. I like the tail light treatment the way it is.
    One thing I really have never understood, is why use a convertible for a custom if you are going to keep the top up. I think this particular car would look a lot better with the top down.

15. sorry guys nothing there a trip through the crusher wouldnt fix

16. I remember this shoebox from the "Little Books" pages in '58. I drooled over it then and still do !
    The only thing I don't like about the Kustom is that I don't own it :eek:

17. Federico

Federico
    from California

18. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

People screw with them because different people have different aesthetic senses. If I had a '49 or a '50, the first thing I'd do is ditch that hideous stock grille.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

My '49 grill is on the garage wall.It's quite spectacular there.

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I don't know about the stock grille being hideous ... to each his own , I guess . Actually it's what drew me to Shoeboxes . I went to great lengths to find all of the stock '49 stuff (it was all missing) - I'll not be changing mine .

21. moefuzz

moefuzz

I think the overall look of the car is pretty good but would also do something about the grille.
    Even just insetting it a few inches would be an improvement.
    Realistically for me at least, I find it hard to improve on the 49 Meteor Grille in the Shoebox Ford

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011