Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

im going early in the morning to look at a 30/31 Model A pickup cab. it was an old hotrod and was chopped long ago. the price is pretty good but i just want to check it out good before i plunk down my hard earned $$$$$. if the chop needs to be fixed thats going to change what im willing to spend. so here's what i want to know:

the door opening dimensions, top to bottom, front to rear.

width across the windshield pillars at the roof and cowl

rear window opening dimensions

anything else you guys think i need to look for.

thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The only dimension I could come up with from my old service books was door length, (front to back) 28 1/2 inches. Pick up and tudor sedans both use the same doors on these. This dimension would only be helpful if someone pieced this together using shorter coupe doors. It's too dark out to get any other dimensions I can off my coupe tonight.

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks man thats a start.

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

what kind of tolerence is acceptable height wise when measuring the accuracy of the chop? if the drivers side is higher than the passenger side or vice versa? im only giving $800 for what looks in pictures to be a pretty solid cab and box.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

im hittin the road to check out the body. if anyone knows these other measurements post them up please

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

Just finished up a 31 and the most disappointing thing was the lack of room in it. It's chopped 3" and the rear fenders are bobbed, looks great, but it is NOT a long distance ride. I paid about the same for this cap & frame, thats the nice thing about Model A's, they're cheep.

Attached Files:

Weedburner 40 likes this.
  7. farcus1

farcus1

I hope I can get this to work and it helps.

Attached Files:

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

do you know what the measurements were before the chop?

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Well, i pulled the trigger. Got the cab and box for $700. It needs a cowl patch on one side and the back of the cab bottom needs some attention but is solid in all the important places. The chop is dead on side to side and for the most part dent free. It's not perfect but it's a real good start. Here we go.........

10. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Enjoy! Post some pics! -D

11. That sounds like a great buy. Congrats!

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i will, i still have to go back and drag it home. still need some measurements, i want to know how much it was chopped.

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks it's a cool pic, but it doesn't tell the door opening dimensions, which is all I thought to measure when I was there. It does have the measurement to the top of the roof and when I get it home I will be able to measure the chop. Here's one shot, ignore the door, some jackass had a crack at it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Door dimensions are as I wrote the other night. I think I do see your concern though - it looks a little short. It looks to me that it may be pieced together with some coupe doors. Of course, without a tape measure that would be hard to know, just looks a bit short in the picture. the bed is not model A by the way, it is Model T. '26 or '27. not a big deal, and can be an advantage in your build too.

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

it must be the picture. i measured the doors front to back when i was there and they were cool. your measurement was all i had to work with at that point. thanks.

16. grf-x

grf-x

Thanks farcus... that is an awesome reference. How did you come up with that image?

17. grf-x

grf-x

Wow you got the cab and the bed for seven. Nice score. Good luck with the project. I got a good source back home for some a and t part... I am hoping i can sway him to selling me a cab. SW stuff is nice most of the time sans the bullet holes that is.

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

that sucks, i didn't realize it was a T box. i was more focused on the cab to make sure it was going to be useable. it's a real solid box and has a good tailgate, i guess i'll try to sell it and put the cash towards an A box. i'd rather have the right box. what's a good T box worth?

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What's cool about a T box is that it is shorter in front of the wheel wells by about 2 1/4", and allows you to slide the body back and keep the firewall intact so you don't loose legroom. That's how my twenty nine is done.

20. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

that bed is nice..i just bought an A bed on sunday..its kind of rough..i would trade if you were closer...you got a good price for what you have IMO...but it does look a lil short...If anyone knows, how much longer are sedan doors than truck doors?..

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

brought the cab and box home yesterday. It's better than i thought. Someone in the past put a piece of sheet metal, side to side, pop rivited across the back of the cab, from the body line to the bottom of the cab. It was a good piece of metal, nicely rolled at the bottom. I knew i could remove the rivits and weld it in correctly. I was dying to know what was underneath, how bad it was. I found out. Sort of. The good news is that there is nothing but real Ford sheetmetal underneath. No holes, dents or rust through. I have no idea why it was put on. But im thrilled. Nothing but rivit holes to fill. I also measured the doors front to back. 28 1/2" front to back. So they are truck/sedan doors. The chop seems to be about 4 inches when measured against my brothers coupe, next to it in the pics. Here are a few pics from the shop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  22. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

I think sedan doors will work , so that shouldn't be a problem. I looked and looked for a useable box for my truck... no luck. Ended up buying a Brookville repro, it is excellent, but $$$$. I don't know how tall you are, but these cabs are very small, when you mock it up make sure to have the doors on. PM me if I can help, have fun, Chuck.

Attached Files:

23. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks man.i can sit in it now with about 3" of headroom and the seat riser someone made is 6" tall. so i've got an inch or 2 to play with.

24. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

44" top to bottom / 29" wide. Measured my 1930 truck. As for that bed it is 1927. 1926 pockets were up close to the cab. Created a problem with RPU' as the top in the down position would not clear sideboards - so they moved them back. I have a 26 bed for sale as a trailer - no bites at $300

25. farcus1

farcus1

I have these images for all the Model A body styles.

26. farcus1

farcus1

Tudor sedan and truck doors are the same.

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

New pics from today. Started removing the old body filler, Thats my buddy Ed in the pics. I'm pretty happy with what we uncovered. It's not perfect but fixable. When cleaning out from under the seat I found some old polaroids with the date on the boarder, 1968 and an old envelope with a guys name and address on it.

Attached Files:

28. 42 chevy

42 chevy

That look's like a great project to me and a good price also.

29. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...looks to be a late '31 with the one-piece steel roof panel...

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yes it is. I want to find an A box. The one I got with it is from a 27 T.