Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Coachman Show 1955-1957

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. This thread needs to be brought up and viewed often. Keeps the memory sharply focused on how it really was.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

In part 1 I think I saw Annette Funicello walking towards the camera just after the 57' Ranchero at about 7/8ths in, heart be still!!!!..Neat to see the cars too...

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Amen to that brother Phil, I watch those clips at least a couple of times a week whenever I get the blues. Better times that I missed out on.
    Paul

4. oldcoachman

oldcoachman

Hey, Silverfox. You are right. Johnny Beddow is still alive an kicking because he is me. I saw your post several months ago searching google for a car show in Norwalk. I just now got registered so I can post. I know Don Price is still around. I probably know you too. I still play with cars.

5. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Does anyone know who shot the original 8mm film? I used the same footage when I produced the Barris Kustoms of the 50's DVD and It was only on vhs when I dug it out of the boxes of tapes in George's shop.

6. oldcoachman

oldcoachman

I think it was Keith or Tinker Cristenson. Keith was the 1st club president. Tinker was his younger brother. If I recall correctly, the air shots were from a plane owned by one of the Norwalk Junior Chamber members. I could be wrong. That was a long time ago.

7. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

8. Mooseman

Mooseman

All kinds of awesome right there, funny how things that were once the norm are now considered amasing now, being a 23 year old I think its cool to look at these old videos. Awesome how most of the cars drove in and drove out. Love the make shift ramps to get back on the road.

9. Kischell Offy

Kischell Offy

These 3 part videos ( Coachman Car show)where taken at Excelsior ( Union ) High School on Alondra Bl. & Pioneer Bl., Norwalk, CA. The track for the 1/4 midgets was called Action City Track.... The Kopper Kart car my father Don Kischell owned at one point. Eddie Haddad raced the car too. My brother Steve Kischell drove on this track back in the 1950's. I liked watching the videos brought back alot of memories for me...Thank you

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Reading these posts, I chuckled... we have a Coachman club here in Kent ohio from way back. We have a Norwalk city, and a Norwalk dragstrip LoL.... Many of the original Coachman from this area head west to CA, for the show. They are great guys from an earlier time. They are still very active, and put on grt shows....

They where featured in the HOTROD publication a few years back, I picked it up at Lobecks. Pics of them then, and now.... really cool.

11. Praise be yours Ryan. Piero made 'Chopped' out here last year with lovely assistant.
    -thanks-

Bringin' this thread back up for aussie newbs, FNG'S etc...

12. Rikster

Rikster

My good friend Memo Ortega asked me to post this here.

This is what Memo said about the video.

"one of my buddys called me today told me to check out a video they had on the hamb of 55..57. norwalk car show, so i did, thought i would tell you, thats the show me an joe were at, i seen where everybody thinks it was 55..or 57, no it was 1958 cuase you can see the date on my photos, an what i know it was jefferies that had to do with the filming."

[​IMG]

13. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

Rik, since my entry passes definitely show 57 show dates, how about the possibility your pics were shot in August of 57 and the film processed a few of months later in January of 58?

Just a thought.................

Burly

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Actually, Jefferies told me he didn't shoot it. It was a friend of his that did. And he was almost certain it was '58...

But yeah, that was a long time ago... We are probably all wrong.

15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

The guy that made the film lives out in the desert now, he let Watson see it and asked not to have it copied, Larry let a couple of old friends see it. It got copied, the rest is history. The orig owner I was told has a garage full of photos and film, not sure if or when he will let it loose. Dean may well have known him, from his days in the Downey,Bellflower,Norwak, area

16. The Coachman show is mentioned a couple of times in the current R&C with a photo of George wearing his goofy slippers. But as far as I can tell the show was never covered in the magazine.

Mick

17. srs1

srs1

well, time to get back to the shop. it's not going to finish itself