Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Killed Myself When I Was Young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

some of those wrecks are brutal. awesome video, kinda humbles you.

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Friggin nuts!

4. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Looks like a lot of footage from the Crash Carnage series on youtube.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

WOW. That was hard as hell to watch and incredible at the same time. My jaw is still hanging open. God bless seat belts, roll bars and fuel cells... DAMN.

Thanks for sharing, boss. You're right, I don't think the actual sound could have been tolerated.

6. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I can relate to not wanting to watch that kinda thing.

Before I bought my lil hotrod project I was spending 2 weekends a month racing off road bikes here in texas. Ive had my share of hurt and try my best to never watch motorcycle crashes.

7. pcterm2

pcterm2

them ole boys sure had brass ones for sure

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A guy had to really be more than a bit nuts to race in those days in those cars. It gives a good look at the race cars though.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Pretty sure it was sent to me from the source... Ed Tilly. I haven't watched all of those and not sure I want to. This one was enough for me.

10. 2002p51

2002p51

I never raced but have been around racers and race cars my whole life. I don't go to the races to see crashes. Hate 'em, hate the sound of them. Even when no one's hurt, I hate to see the equipment destroyed and money lost.

The guys who drove the cars in this video surely must've clanked when they walked.

11. I'm thankful for modern safety regulations.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for the warning, I won't watch the video.

13. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I had to turn it off after the first few crashes. The one positive thing that ever came about as a result of those crashes and deaths was vastly improved safety rules and engineering for racing cars that has in some cases been incorporated into production automobile design. Both racing and production automobiles are far safer today than they were half a century or more ago.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It's just crazy that so many people never considered safety cages or belts back then.

15. designs that work

designs that work

Sorry did not watch, not what racing is about in my opinion.

16. Ryan
    That's just hard to watch friend.

One of my earliest memories of racing was actually motorcycle racing. I watched a family friend named McDugal go through the cyclone fence at the track in San Jose and strain himself.

Racing is dangerous now and was way more dangerous when the Old timers were first starting out.

17. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

dont think i want to watch that again,as said brass balls.dam

18. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

also i would like to add i dont think i will ever own a roadster because of this video.

19. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Scary. Lots of lives ruined back in the day.

20. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I've was into road racing from the late 1960''s untill 2006 and safety has increased greatly over the years. The down side is the view the spectators have has greatly diminished due to the concrete walls and catch fences. But note last Sundays Daytona race Jr took a head on hit into the wall, from what I remember about the same as his dad hit when he died. He drove on and and never a word said about it. Those rubber walls are great.

And yes it is extremely sad that some fans find enjoyment in the crashes.

21. Wow very sobering to watch for sure. Couldn't even imagine being there at the time to watch that type of thing happen. It is amazing any of the guys that survived and walked away from their crashes were able to.

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man those guys were hardcore!!!!

Makes me sad watching them!! Uhg!

23. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Could only stand a few frames. . .

24. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

I personally witnessed two racers get killed in stock cars back in the mid 50's. Was part of a crew at the time. It seems to me that if some of the racers in open cars were belted in to thier cars they would not have survived. Looks like a high percentage of them walked away or were carried off, but survived.

25. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Well, that changed my mood for the whole day. Thanks Ryan, I didn't need to watch that, but I did.

26. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Definitely a challenge to watch. An automobile race is the most intense thing to experience live! Emotion is felt and shot way into the top of the grandstand. You can almost feel when a crash is going to occur. From my experience working the fence at Turn 3 at the 500, you see all of the spectators bodies contort as they try to will the car straight until they take in one collective gasp. The "crash" is never the sound you really expect to hear. Then, as the passing cars throttle down an uneasy calm washes over everything until something positive becomes evident. You don't really realize people are racing until there is an accident.

27. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Wow! I have seen some still pictures and they are tough to look at.

Chris

Oh yea, I watched the whole video and all that I could think of was "Damn!".....sorta' like getting numb to car crashes on the highway.

28. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Oh man at 1:30 a guy wraps and splits his car in half around a tree, theres a guy that is standing behind the tree and makes it.

29. BISHOP

BISHOP

Some of that was rough.

I was injured purty bad in 1999. I will never completely recover.......... Every time I see an ambulance with the lights on I say a little prayer for who ever is in it.

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The laws of Physics are undeniable.