Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Chrisman Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Art is the racers racer- He will still shoot the bull with you about the early days (just had a great talk with him at the swap meet last week). They are working on a book about his life.

Hard to beat the below stat- number 2 in the 200MPH club!

2. Art Chrisman of Compton, California drove Chet Herbert’s “Beast III” 235.991 mph August 28, 1952.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have been waiting for your words on this car Ryan. It is absolutely my favorite coupe and for all the reasons stated above. And also It's because I am too much of a pussy to build something that crazy. Thank God Kevin Lee has the brass to cut his car within every inch to achieve the look because I'm not sure I have it. The car is perfect because it's purposeful right? Solid mounted rear and a unique 40 front hood spliced into a perfect streamlined front end. This is exactly what a hot rod is based upon but taken to a whole other level.

I had a thread on Dickie Flippen's coupe that was inspired by the Chrisman Coupe. And even though it pretty bad ass, it does not touch the real thing.

[​IMG]

Nice friday addition.

Stogy likes this.
  4. metalshapes

metalshapes

To me, that car is more Dobie Gillis than Chrisman Coupe...

scan0001.jpg

Image1_2.jpg

The original car was badass.

One of my 3 all time favorite Hot Rods...

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I can definitely see that. I was just referring to TRJ article where it said that Dickie set out to mimic the Chrisman Coupe. I can see how that started out but as you read on and you see how he was working with Mickey Thompson and those guys the car probably was dictated by the drag-strip and the heavy hitters in California in the late 50's early 60's.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Can I also add that I absolutely think that TRJ should commission cut away rendering such as this one. I know that they do the Photo cut away but man these old ones were works of art!

[​IMG]

7. Flea

Flea

Awesome car. Those guys showed a lot of respect by not going for the record.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  8. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Dobie Gillis car was the Chrisman Coupe, after Barris did his Damage to it.

So maybe that's what he meant...

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah, but I thought that he started building that car in 55-56 so wouldn't that have been the original Chrisman coupe? I can't see anybody trying to mimic the Gillis car. That thing was a turd!:D I will lose all my respect for the Flippen coupe if so. Hahaha!

10. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

I remember the first time I saw that car. It was at a company Christmas party in 2000 (when it was in a private collection at a car dealership in SoCal). Having no idea of what that car was yet, I was mesmerized by it nonetheless. I could'nt stop staring at it. Still I think it's the most bad-ass hot rod I've ever seen.

11. froghawk

froghawk

Terrific, moving piece of writing, Ryan. It's great that the car has been preserved and restored to its original state, but ones' heart aches for the potential partially realized, and the pain of loss the guys must have felt to cause them to part with the car and the dream.

12. Arts the most humble guy I know. Just an all around great guy.
    The craziest thing about the car is when I sat in it. Your nose is just about touching the windshield, the crank pulley in your spine and he went 200mph in it! Nutbar!

Ryan, thanks for doing a cool write up on it. Prolly my favorite car ever.

-Shiny

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

These WHACKED coupes just rule....Flippen's is so wicked.

I can't wait to see Kevin's finished.....it's gonna be right up there with these.

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Damage was undone, so its all good. :)

Hopefully somebody will have the guts, time, money and taste, to do the same for the Lincoln Futura....

15. ;)
    And everything else G...............nevermind;):D

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

Pics...

Attached Files:

18. Ed Kimball

Ed Kimball

Snapped these right before the car was recently auctioned off from Joe's Garage.

Attached Files:

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Attached Files:

20. Straight outta Compton has a different meaning on that car!

21. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Does anyone know who bought it, and where it ended up? Be a shame to have it dissapear from the public's view

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Hah!
    My wife just bought me a MINT feb 54 Hot Rod. I haven't even opened it yet.

Bitchin.

23. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The guy that owns Meecum Auctions bought it with Art's blessing and agreementy that it will be displayed in the NHRA museum- not locked away.

24. froghawk

froghawk

Wouldn't that be great! If there's any justice in this world, it'd happen.

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Final race version of the original car was 111% bad ass. The restored version is 100% bad ass, but still missing the more important extra 11% that can now never be recovered. Still, nice to still have it with us and to be able to see it restored to the race version none the less.

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the nod, but there is someone out there going a lot further than I am with a full on race car.

Not sure if he is fully "out of the closet" with his build so I'll let him answer if he's ready. But if the timing is right I think they should both see the salt around the same time.

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Tony Thatcker told me there were guesses that it would bring in the $300,000 range.. I never heard what It brought.. anyone know?

By far, one of the coolest hot rods EVER!

I recently bought one of those Issues of Hot Rod just so I could Enlage Cut away drawing in to a poster for my shop.

Beautiful!

J Shaw

(the history of this car also backs my theory of GEORGE BARRIS WAS ONE OF THE WORST THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN TO HOT RODDING.)

---

28. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I dissagree... It's still Gangsta...

The Chrisman coupe was one of my original favorite hot rods... I still like it but as I get older my tastes have changed and I find myself not digging the details quite as much. It's wierd how that happens. There was a time when that car was my desktop in various 'poses' for over a year...

One thing for sure though... All other Lakes Coupes are measured by that car. I don't think you can get any more 'lakes-coupe' than the Chrisman coupe.

29. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

over $600k!!!

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, that is about the same as that old Del. license plate mentioned in the other thread. :(
    I think I would rather have the coupe.