Register now to get rid of these ads!

Correct brake line size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfee, Apr 21, 2008.

1. tfee

tfee

I will be doing the brakes on my highly modified model t soon and I don't know what brake line size to use. I have 12" drums on all 4 corners and a 1" bore master cylinder from an old econoline van. Should I run 1/4" line to the t's and 3/16" from there or will 3/16" suffice all around?
    Thanks in advance

2. I run 1/4". It was what was on the early Fords and I seem to have better luck doing the double inverted flares on the larger size for some reason.

3. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Id run 3/16" all the way around but thats just me. i cant recall ever seeing any 1/4" in brake lines but then again i have not seen everything thats out there either.

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

see i just learned me something new.........

5. tfee

tfee

Thanks, I will run with the 1/4" then

6. If you run 1/4 don't you have to have an adapter to go into the wheel cly?

7. Paul2748

Paul2748

Run 3/16 - don't putz around with different sizes

8. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Use the 3/16 size it will give you a firmer pedal.

Rex

9. Fogger

Fogger

Good advice is to run the same size as master and wheel cylinders. Early Ford was 1/4" all arround. But new system wheel cylinders and master are generally 3/16". I've been using 3/16" on all the cars I've build that way I don't need adapters. The FOGGER

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

As far as brake line size, the brakes don't care what size they are. Old Fords, pre 48 used 1/4" lines. 49 and up Fords used 3/16". GM until recently used 1/4" in the rear, and 3/16" in the front. Line size does not change the pressure on the wheel cylinders.

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Enjenjo said

EDIT:

Technically speaking the smaller line will carry more pressure - which might explain why Detroit went to 3/16" - the advent of disc brakes doubled line pressure.

12. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

13. I always do 3/16" all around. A few things good about the 3/16" is that you can make bends with a tighter radius using a tubing bender, and you can make gentle bends or adjustments easily with your bare hands.

Get a good tubing flaring tool. It sucks trying to make the flares with a piece of crap tool. When you get a line all bent and cut perfectly, the last thing you want is to have the flare get ruined by trying to use a junky flaring tool. I bought a used old Blue-Point flaring kit, and it's never let me down.

14. we are seriously getting close to over thinking this

run 3/16 or 1/4...whichever works out best for you

15. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

In technical terms, there is no "flow" in a brake system. The fluid moves so little that the Bernoulli principle does not really apply.