Register now to get rid of these ads!

McCulloch Supercharger for flathead ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie, May 1, 2004.

1. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Anyone know what these things are selling for. I went and looked at one that is just about NOS.It was on a 39 Ford motor used in a generator. The guy who owns it still has the motor it came off and the blower comes totally complete. Thanks,Louie

2. ABone312

ABone312

I have seen a couple go for around $1,500 lately. Both were supposed to be in working order. What are they asking for it?

3. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

saw a couple in so cal this year at the swap meets $1200-$1500 range.. none were all that complete....sucks hun!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I sold mine on ebay for 2500.00 but it was complete (most aren't) generator bracket, belt tensioner and dual belt truck pumps. If you get it, get every last piece. You see partial McCullochs, but you never see the missing components.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

This doesn't answer your question, but might have some useful info:

VS57 Website

[​IMG]

6. A friend of mine has one new in the box. It's so complete it even has the supercharger emblem that came with it.

He feels it is worth about 5 g's.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Here's a site with pictures and a brochure:

http://www.ptsi.net/user/hjkopel/default.htm

Remember, there were several slightly different versions--For & Merc at least, but I think there were several Ford versions put out over a span of about four years.
    Walt Dupont on the Ford Barn flathead site drives a '40 with one, and brings it to the Rockabilly event in Hartford every year.

8. mseidvalve

mseidvalve
    from Australia

Any chance of some photos, I have an incomplete 39M McCulloch and any photos would be good including the emblem or badge.

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

For a 5 year old thread? Doubtful.

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

Zombie thread lives

11. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

39 M would be a 1939 manufacture wouldn't it. There are few around OZ in running cars. Les Ireland in Qld runs one in his roadster.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

That's an interesting looking drive on that blower... Am I looking at a dual belt crank pulley with the rear pump driving the water pumps the the back blower groove, and the front belt driving the generator and front blower groove?

13. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Dirtynails, I could be wrong, but I think the blower you showed is a Frenzel. It's not a McCulloch the way I remember McCulloch. I had one on a Studebaker way back when. Check with the owner of the car next time you see it. I'm curious now. Thank you. :D

14. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

Thanks for the pics of the older style McC.
    I have a VS57 with most of the ancillary components from 1958 Stude Silver Hawk. Mine has sit unused since a Granatelli rebuild in 1972.

Tks for the values posted. Now I need to see some real life pics of the newer VR57.

Fridaynitedrags, that is the earliest McC, your Stude is surely a VS57. Then came the VR57
    as used in TBirds, etc in the later 50's. Much more compact size.
    And there was also Granatelli's Snub nose VS57 in Darts/Dusters.

I was going to leave links but the McCullogh site is either down or has moved. My URLs no good tonite (???)

7:20
    I did one more check and the site is back up. On the left is a menu. There are pics of all three major McCullogh models. The posted pics above are of a 30's version McC.

http://www.vs57.com/index30s.htm

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  15. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Just goes to show ya, you're never too old to learn. Thanks Barney. :D

16. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I was going to post a pic of the ID tag but your question has been answered for me. There was a thread last month (?) here where a brochure for one of these has been posted .:)
    I think the very first application of these was on the Graham Supercharger or one that looks that similar.

17. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

VS57 101 :D:D

Anyone looking at or thinking of buying a Mccullogh VS57 - they came with two different housings for either forward or reverse rotation. Most -WILL- be the correct direction since there were only a couple of reverse applications - Corvairs and counter rotating twin boat motors (used one of each).
    Just be sure and look closely. No point paying big bucks and finding you cant use it. Years ago I made a mistake with a Judson that way. Had never seen one before and didnt look at it closely. It was for a corvair. :D

Not sure but probably the VR and the SN57 are also made for use in both directions?? Dont think there were any reverse rotating engines back in the 30s so no sweat there :) (maybe boats ?)

FYI if not known - The VS57 has a variable sheave pulley. Allowing for much higher ratio at start and also kick down. The rear half is pushed forward by a piston as pressure builds forcing the belt up (to a large dia) and slower rotation. A spring loaded tension arm keeps the belt tight and pulls it down in the groove when the kickdown solenoid is operated by the throttle switch - like OD. Some serious acceleration when that happens (and no spinup delay like a turbo).

The SN57 does NOT have a kickdown feature and to my knowledge neither does the VR57.

Makes the VS more desirable if you have the room to mount it. (Thats why mine still sits in the basement - no room on anything I had since the 340 Cuda) :D

The only disadvantage is the internal lube system. A small piston runs off of a cam and can float if the crank pulley is too large and over revs it. One of the reasons why I removed it from the Cuda before any damage ocurred; that and way too much HP for safety. :)

The VS57 would make a great installation for a Flathead Ford!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  18. madmike3434

madmike3434

I just photographed a 1947 ford pickup that has a McCulloch supercharger on it. This is one of 35 trucks in 1947 that was ordered & delivered not only with the supercharger but also the EDMUNDS aluminum heads and also the fenton cast iron headers , lastly dual exhaust. This restored rodded truck is numbers matching and has been AUTHENTICATED by a team of ford museum employees as the only remaining example. The pictures will appear in a story by me on www.hotrodhotline.com after the 15th of september when the truck is delivered to ford in detroit.
    Truck also has the special McCulloch air cleaner that is low to handle hood clearance. The owner tells me that it also has a shorter intake riser mount height to clear hood. This supercharger is water cooled.
    The original owner that this truck was purchased from basically ordered the truck LOADED with many options or dealer installed options.

mike lynch ....whitby ontario Canada