Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lost America

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It makes the item look alive!!.....we did our backyard in colored lights and love it.

3. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

4. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I did that with my Merc a few weeks ago. Got one looking like Christine with one headlight on...well, sorta.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

6. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Yep I'm Mike:) Thanks

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Someone posted this on here last year but it seemed to get bashed for some reason. I think its awesome.

8. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

I did this for one of my photo classes, except we used B&W film and just a flashlight. The possibilities are pretty endless with night photography.
    My favorites are the Western Roadside

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I remember it being posted last year. Pretty cool stuff that makes me want to get out and use my camera.

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That is truly art. I love it

11. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Troy's Work is simply amazing I'm good friends with him, and he's a really cool guy too! If you get a chance pick up his book, believe me it's worth it. I have his first book and loved it so much that when I ran into him at my buddies wedding a few weeks ago, I made him walk out of the reception dinner, go to his trunk, and grab me a copy which I bought right there on the spot under the dim light of a street lamp. Just like a Crack deal, in fact if a cop had been around we would have been questioned for sure. Can you imagine the look on the Copper's face when he realized Troy was slingin' books out of his trunk and not drugs, it would have been one of those, " Oh wow! what a bunch of loosers" looks. Great!

12. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

Very cool! I wish I could get all the pictures to load with 2 hours. :) A bit slow but worth the wait!

13. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

That is amazingly cool!

This makes me think.

Why are all of the cool, americana, unique things being destroyed to put cookie cutter buildings, shopping centers, etc. in thier places?

I would much rather go to a Jetson-esque dining establishment than the local McDonalds... places like that had style that I just dont see anywhere today.

Thanks a lot, Ryan... this made my day

14. camargma

camargma

simply beautiful. makes me want to go on a road trip this weekend with a camera.

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

16. TOE

TOE

His second book just recently came out. It's called: Night Vision: The Art of Urban Exploration

I love his work.

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I am an architectural lighting designer (design lighting for buildings) and I have known about this site and his work for a while and I think it has been posted a couple times before. But, still I think it is pretty f'n nice work and I dig it for sure and don't mind being reminded about it. Light painting might be an old technique, like a lot of things, but this guy makes some nice art. For me it covers my profession, lighting and architecture, plus adds in some cool old cars, American landscape, history and art all in one and makes it cool to look at and see in a different way.

Thanks for posting yesterday Mike, I caught that as well. And thanks to Ryan for hitting us again with some off beat stuff to keep our brains working.

18. My kid turned me onto this site a couple of years ago. When I went back yesterday I was glad to see more was added to it. I think it's some great photography work.

19. spent alot of time checking out that website yesterday...really cool stuff and definitely art...really makes me want to dust off the old Nikon and get creative

20. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Looks like the HAMB traffic took down the site. Check out the power of a blog post. I bet they are scrambling, wondering WTF!?

21. Lost America

Lost America

Wow, thanks for all the back slapping you guys!

If you find my site running slowly, I post new work to flickr almost every day and that site always runs fast and smooth.

Here's the catchall automotive set: http://flickr.com/photos/lostamerica/sets/72157594523625730/

But there's almost 1900 night shots on that stream including abandoned ocean liners, military installations, the closed section of San Francisco International airport, the Las Vegas neon boneyard, a bus junkyard, and a dozen other locations to go with all the car work.

Thanks again!

Troy

[​IMG]
    1973 Challenger, abandoned in the Pearsonville Junkyard.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Hey, thats some cool stuff there!

When I get back to work(soon I hope) I'll have a faster internet and really check this stuff out. So forgive me my possibly stupid question: Any chance you can do a shoot at the "Boneyard" here in Tucson? Its where the old fighter jets are stored, near Davis-Monthan AFB. They do tours thru there, so it's not that tight.

23. Noland

Noland

man I really dig that

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Beautiful stuff, Troy. :)

25. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Very cool. The shutter on the camera must have been open for quite a while, in some of the pictures the clouds are blurred from tracking their movement and the stars left their trails.

26. NEAT STUFF

would be good without the colors too :)
    lookin at all this good metal
    further reminds me why you folks out west complain about all our rusty cars .. these old junkers(art projects) look to be roadworthy and clean ..

shheese I am so jealous of youse guys with desert yards to pick thru ...i'll fight heat and critters anytime over rust and mud and trees growin thru stuff

Attached Files:

27. JW in Texas

JW in Texas

Great stuff! I just ordered some prints!

28. Lost America

Lost America

Thanks all!

Yeah, AMRAC and the Tucson recyclers is pretty much the dream shoot for me. I've shot in several other aircraft yards over the years as seen here and they are ALL really tight. AMRAC is extra hard because it's military. I've had officers stationed there, and connections in the publishing industry, and none of them couldn't make any headway for me. I recently got severely dressed down by the caretaker at a different desert aircraft boneyard I snuck into to shoot. A royal chewing out and threats of lawsuits if I ever publish the pix.

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

What's so secret about some old airplanes nobody is using? Are we now afraid the commies (I mean evil doers) might try to steal our 30+ year old, out dated technology that is parked out in a desert wasting away? Good lord, when is this country going to grow some fucking balls again and stop being afraid of every little ridiculous thing? Hope you make it in some day, but please, pretty please, don't let the terrorists or Chinese industrial spies see the photos of our junk parked out in the back 40. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Where is this top secret place near Tuscon? I am guessing it isn't this place right next to the airport I found on google in about 30 seconds. I don't see too many fighter jets.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014