Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Tucker, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Good for you Rob....go get that dream brother.

Your video is very inspiring.

My grandad (the guy in my avatar) is also a big inspiration for me.

2. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thanks Don. I am very inspired by my family and the cool things they have done. I'm glad to hear yopu get it too.

3. This very cool stuff here.I commend you guys for taking the time and patience to build that Torpedo car.That wood buck is a work of art in itself and im really looking forward to it.Im a pretty big fan of Tuckers myself and both of my grandfathers were and are fanatics.I am not a Tucker historian like some but im just trying learn from what I read.

Im a little confused about the darkgreen Tucker you said was one of the new ones you built ? Also you said that the car in the background is an original ? So you own a original? How are you guys making new Tucker 48's. The same way as you are doing the Torpedos or are your 48s fiberglass ?

4. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

The red one (second car back) belonged to a good friend who passed recently. We did some restoration work on it just before he left us. The green one and the other cars in our lineup are our New Tucker 48s. We have built four with our own composite bodies. We are now working on Steel bodies which i will post pics of soon.

The torpedo will be all aluminum, including the frame platform. That will be a one-off build. If you watch the video linked to this thread, you can see the difference in the designs.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best of luck in this venture. Beautiful cars all.

6. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

This is one of our New Tucker 48s on display at the Glenmoor Gathering Concours d'Elegance along with seven originals. The other image isOur New Tucker 48 being filmed for TV. Preston Tucker's great grandson Sean Tucker is at the wheel of my 46 convert (daily driver) so the film crew can do a car to car shoot.

Attached Files:

7. ItsLUCKY

ItsLUCKY

8. I have always been fascinated with Tuckers. Can't wait to se what you come up with.

9. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Wow is an understatement!!

10. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Fabricating a steel hood for a New Tucker 48 sedan with the help of Sean Tucker (Preston's Great Grandson)

Attached Files:

11. KarKen

KarKen
    from Boise

Very interesting story. Good luck with the Torpedo.

I grew up in the Pomona/Montclair area and I was riding my bike to my buddy's house, in the summer of of 1960. Arrow Highway just East of Central Avenue. I passed a house (North side of Arrow) that had two rather nice looking cars in the driveway. I slowed way down to take a look and the gentleman out front motioned me over to have a closer look. He explained to me the cars were Tuckers (one blue, the other white) and showed me the interiors and engines. Very futuristic (even in 1960).

I don't remember the gentleman's name or much else about that day, but the cars were forever part of my car experiences.

12. chrisp

chrisp

Ever since I saw you were making composite ones I thought one of my dream could become true, unfortunatly the price tag brought me back to reality.
    And I totally understand that you wouldn't want them poorly finished.
    Now you're making steel repops, geez you're killing me, I'm drooling over my keyboard.

13. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Thank you for the explaination Rob, and my most sincere best wishes on a successful build.

14. twochops

twochops

Will you also be making the Tucker Flattop??
    TwoChops

left click to enlarge

Attached Files:

55Belairman likes this.
  15. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Probably Bill Hamlin.

16. gyronaut

gyronaut

Here's a couple pics of Bill Hamlin (behind Alex Tremulis with the model) and his driveway full of Tuckers, if this jogs your memory...

ps: Rob, Alex would be loving your builds. Absolutely fantabulous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  17. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Wow this is really cool! That's awesome what you're doing! I first saw a Tucker in person 22 years ago-a guy in my uncle's car club had found it somewhere and was fixing it up-at the time I was thinking, how hard would it be to find one of these cars since they made such a small number of them.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Rob, this is a fascinating build-thanks for sharing. I love Tuckers and will be following along. Would love to see some additional photos of the steel replica too.

19. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Rob, I have been following yours and your Father Bobs work for years buddy. I remember reading about the two of you in a Street Rodder magazine as i am in to 1933 Willys and Mopars myself and i have loved every car you guys have built, i remember the Creamsicle 33, what ever happened to tbat car ? All the way up to the Challenger you customized to the Tuckers, now it is good to hear you are tackling the Torpedo too.
    I will ne watching with anticipation to see ths outcome. I already know you guys do fantastic work.
    Kenny.:D

20. deucemac

deucemac

I was fortunate enough to see your first Tuckers at SEMA a few years ago. Only one word comes to mind.....SUPERB!

21. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Love the Tuckers. Was the green and black one in the AZ booth at sema one year? Great looking cars. Nice to see someone keep making parts for them.

22. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Beautiful!Guess the pieces I make for my cars,Ill scrap after seeing this.:eek:

23. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Some of the controls on the inside are being recreated to serve other purposes. the lollypops on my car control the air ride, An original Tucker radio has been converted to work with an iPhone giving GPS, Bluetooth, satelite radio, etc. it also has a USB hookup at the bottom

Attached Files:

24. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thank you very much. Are you Steve Tremulis?

25. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Rob, wow this is an amazing thread!! My dads favorite car was the Tucker, he always talked about the one that got away in downtown Detroit for $800. back in the 1970s.
    He went to be with the Lord in 1989, but i tell you he would be ecstatic at what you are doing!!
    keep it up and God Bless!

26. Excellent build here, looking forward to more progress pics!

Just a question, in the pic with your new car and the seven originals, does yours have one extra exhaust tip four vs three on the originals?

Incredible builds as you have to essentially create everything from scratch!

27. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and kind words. The building of the Tuckers are fueld by family tradition and the love for the cars not by money. that why i don't take orders for Tuckers, or sell parts or DIY parts. Just craft them one at a time, each one better than the last.

The reason for the eight tailpipes versus six, is that Preston Tucker used six cylinder engines, I use eight cylinders.

28. Rob, what is the price on your New Tucker 48s? Your website doesn't mention anything about even a price range.

29. Hot Rod Tucker

Hot Rod Tucker
    from NJ

Hey Patrick, I don't take orders for Tuckers or parts. Early on I thought i wanted to but soon realized that the Tuckers mean too much to me to go into any production on. I build them one at a time and have sold them when they are finished and replace them with another. i sold my green and black one a few years back and have found it difficult to find time to replace it. I'm working on a new one for myself now. I will sell it after ive started on its replacement, so it may be a while.

30. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Hey Rob, this build looks so rad! Follow you on IG and love your work. Can't wait to watch this work of art take form.