Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Blown49

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neats54, Apr 6, 2012.

1. neats54

neats54
    from ohio

For those of you who have been long time members of this community I thought I would let you know that my father, Jim Leis (aka Blown49) took his last right turn and headed for the great cruise-in in the sky yesterday. He was 74.

Dad was a long time member and was passionate about both the HAMB and the art that we all know as Street Rodding. From the time I was old enough to help him, cars were a part of our lives together. From my original customized pedal car to the endless parade of cars we would build to meet his needs as an immediate driver for the family, to the restoration of my first car (A 1954 Ford F100), to finally culminating in his dream car, his 1949 Merc. Up until his last days he was counseling me on a suspension issue on my Ford and about some tools he had designed for working on flatheads. It just was in his blood.

He saw that this community also had cars in it's blood and that was what drew him to it. The ideas, the imagination, and the passion for cars has seemed to flow through this forum. That's why he liked this place so much. It was just like him. I also know that he made many friends from this forum and met you at many shows. My family thanks you for your friendship.

So as we approach the coming cruse-in season, stop for a minute, look at that pretty blue Merc that just came in, and raise your glass of Pepsi to Blown49. He would have liked that. Thanks, Jeff

2. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very disturbing and sad news. Always watched for his posts.
    Not many people knew flatheads like your Dad.
    Condolences to you and your family.

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I had the same thoughts as Uncle Max when I first saw the post.

I always read Jim's posts with interest. Respected his knowledge on flatheads and learned much as I worked on mine.

I will miss Jim's contributions here and my heart goes out to you and your family.

Neal

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff,
    Very sad news and very sorry for your loss. I've enjoyed seeing his beautiful Merc and knowledgeable posts on the Ford Barn, BillB's V8 site and here on the HAMB for several years. Condolences to you and your family.
    Bob

5. My sincerest condolences to both you and your family....Jim was a great lover of flatheads and was always there for support and advice to many here on the HAMB.

So sad to hear of his passing.

RIP Jim.

Rat

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am so sorry for the "passing" of your dad. 74 is too young to take the final cruise. He was so knowledgeable and helpful to all of us who had questions about our flathead or any other old car issue. I will miss his postings and really can't believe he's gone. You "carry on" as he would have liked. This saddens me greatly.

7. Willy301

Willy301

I am so sorry to hear this, he was a respected member here. My thoughts and prayers to your family.

8. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

My condolenses to you & your family

9. Vergil

Vergil

So sorry for your and our lose. Jim will be missed by many, but the knowledge and drawings he shared will always be with us. Prayers for you and the family.

Vergil

10. 1952henry

1952henry

God bless. He will be missed.

11. Jeff
    That has got to be the worse introduction I have even seen. Not bad on you just a crappy way for you to have to meet us.

I am afraid I never actually met you pops, my loss. But I am damned sorry to see him go, again because of my loss. Your loss has got to be rougher, I lost my Ol' Man in '03 its not an easy thing to deal with. Mine left me his closest friend to watch over me and it was still damned hard to deal with.

So sorry to hear of it. I don't have much to offer you I am afraid but if you think of anything in the world that I can do I am only a PM away.

Benno

12. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I'm very sorry to hear this.Jim was such a super nice guy.He helped me out very often in things Mercury.This is really sad news.I hope he's doing well forever up there.

13. John B

John B

Having knew Jim personally this is hard to swallow. I knew he'd been in the hospital and was not doing good. Still this news hits my soul hard. Seems like just last month we were sitting at Mikey's eating lunch and talking hot rods. But in reality it was 2009. The last time I had a chance to spend quality time with your Dad was at the Country Run for Fun in 2010. Here's a picture from that show. Know that your dad will live on as long as there's flatheads and hot rodders.

[​IMG]

14. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

This breaks my heart..:(

I have been around Jim many times since we first met and he shared our block of rooms in Columbus years ago.

Im so sorry to hear this..

RIP Jim

:(

15. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Jim called me last week from the hospital and was hoping to be home in 20 days, looking forward to getting the Merc out. Kind of fitting our last conversation was while I was rolling down the road in the 65 Olds I was driving when I met him. RIP buddy, it was a privilege to call you my friend.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  16. My sincere condolences go out to you and your family at this time..............

17. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Jeff....I met your Dad perhaps ten years ago at a local cruise in here in the Cincy area. He was genuinely friendly and easy to talk to. A few years later we rode up to Columbus in the Merc to meet "Rumbleseat"on his second cross-country trip in the '34. Needless to say, we're saddened to hear of your loss.

18. Dads-53

Dads-53

Your job now is to pass on the lesons he taught you to the next generation and you will have him with you forever. Sorry for your loss.

19. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

Sorry for your loss, sorry for our loss. I enjoyed and respected his posts on here and fordbarn.

20. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

21. Da Injun

Da Injun

Very sorry to hear about you and your families loss.

I have not seen your dad in a couple of years, but always enjoyed talking with him. I was in West Union last year and ran into a fellow gearhead with whom I have never met, and the conversation quickly steered in the direction of your dad, his car, and his knowledge. He was a great guy.

22. neats54

neats54
    from ohio

I just want to thank all of you for your support for our family while we deal with the loss of my Dad. Hearing from all of you just continues to show the legacy that he leaves behind. For those of you that are local the service will be on Sat. April 14. Visitation will be from 2pm-3pm with a Memorial to take place directly afterwards. Location is the Thompson-Meeker Funeral Home, 216 W Mulberry St., West Union OH 45693. If you wish to send any condolences to the rest of the family send to :www.meekerfuneralhomes.com They will see that my Mother receives them. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. Jeff Leis

23. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Jim was one of the real good guys.
    I hadn't seen him in 4 years, but we talked often on the phone.
    I will really miss that man.
    Condolences to you, Jeff, and the rest of the family.

Glenn

24. Wingman

Wingman

Very sorry to hear this. My wife and I met Jim at the cinematic and he was truly one of the good guys. You and your family have our deepest condolences.

25. Sorry for your loss, and he's a loss to the HAMB for sure. :(

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Very sorry for your loss. He was a good guy and freely shared the information he had gathered and computed with much hard work!
    I was waiting for the phone to ring...he used to call me from time to time and we would shoot the bull about valve tools (he actually had more valve junk than me!) and compression ratios and such...an extremely well informed man, and a hard working scholar of the flathead. He had way too much medical news to report in his last call, but was still working on his projects and I just assumed he would be with us a lot longer. My phone ain't gonna ring again for technical conversations like that...first Flatdog, then Jim gone. I will miss that a great deal.
    His HUGE and carefully worked out chart of flathead compression ratios is an important tool and piece of technical information made available for all.
    I printed a couple of copies for computerless friends, and now every time I go to a club meeting several more people ask me to make them copies...and everyone needs his wonderfully worked out flathead cross sections of early and late engines.
    He will be missed by a lot of people. His internet community is huge.

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm very sorry about your loss-my prayers go out to you and your family!

Early on, when I couldn'y find info on the Caddy flathead I was building, your dad would email info about Ford flatheads. His help and information was invaluable!

I'll hoist a Pepsi over dinner tonight, in his honor!

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Both sides of this guys brain were gifted. His visual sence rivaled mechanical knowledge. That merc was so beautiful, it was almost surreal!

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am thinking about heading down to the visitation so if anyone from up north wants to go get with me.

30. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Jeff, Cheri and I are going so if you and any others want to caravan down let me know.