Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA Dragster For The Coast Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old28, Jun 30, 2011.

1. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Old28 - What size master cylinder are you using?
    I had to change from a 1" to a 7/8" so my driver could hold it on the line.
    Just a thought.

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

No sweat, just shoot me a PM, and I'll send you back the "top secret formula". :rolleyes:
    Really it's not a big deal, just a bit cumbersome for a post here. :D

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Pretty sure Tom already went to a 7/8" when he re-engineered his linkage.

4. Old28

Old28

CrkInsp -- I am using a Wilwood 7/8 master for the same reason. The main problem is that the Mustang 8.8 rear has very small 1.75 x 9" drums and most 8" & 9" Ford use the large 2" x 11" drums that have a lot more surface area. IF I had bigger drums with my 9" 5500 used BBC race converter I am sure that I could stall the converter in the 3500 range even with the 194's 150-165 current HP.

I really feel that anything over 2500 RPM leave will blow the tires off for 10' even on a good prepped track. We will try it like it is for our opener and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. Old28

Old28

old6rodder -- Thanks Dick, your right on 7/8".

PM is on it's way.:confused:

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Will be, tomorrow.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

ps. Kay says she's ready. :eek: ;)

8. Old28

Old28

Got the PM and I will work on it this week, Thanks.:)

All the switch plate modifications & relocation were to get a little extra room for my knees in the hope of making some passes. I have been real easy on my old bones since the Oct race. I'll know more after my street test this week.;):rolleyes:

Tell Kay to bring all her gear (including sfi/5 jacket & pants) so if I can't run it she is in. Remember regular NHRA Tech, got to have all the stuff. I have arm restraints & neck collar. P.S. Kay,all carb linkage has been redone.:D

Sure would love to see the HAMBster Lady (Kay) in my Outlaw HA/GR" (SDRA) paired with Old6Rodder (Dick) in his "True To The Class" HA/GMR in the First Round Eliminations, sure would make for some good bragging rights around the kitchen table at their home.:D;):)

9. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

All my gear is packed and I am ready to run, but only if you cannot. I would love to see you bring that purple beauty to the finals at ANRA.
    I can wait until May, Eagle Field, where runs are more frequent.
    I look forward to some day racing against the old man.:rolleyes:

10. Old28

Old28

Kay, it's all good. I plan on taking it to Feb T&T at Famoso to see if I have the extra room I need and if the hand holds help with entry & exit.:D

If it's good I'll drive it but if not it ain't no "Trailer Queen Show Car" so someone going to shoe it, might as well be you.;) Just make sure you have all your gear when you come up to Famoso in April.

11. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

I will have to see about getting a helmet. Dick uses his old one at Eagle Field so I was able to use the other one. Probably should anyway, cause I don't see me not wanting to race.:D

12. Old28

Old28

Well got the car out today (clear 70 degree day), sorry for all you guys back East with snow all over, but you can hit me all summer when it's 100+ out this way in "Bake O".;):rolleyes:

Got the motor back together with the new headers and the re-done head. Just wanted to see if my driver area modification made for any extra room. It definitely helped but I still need to get some more throttle peddle room.

Motor sounds milder with the headers and it is not a crisp (carbs still seem a little fat). Got to try a few things and test it again end of the month.

Dixie, shot a short video of the two leaves, not all that impressive, but good for a laugh. Hope you can Click on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItoOfRn661Q

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Link works fine.

Car sounds to me like it just needs to be tuned into its range. :cool:

14. old sparks

old sparks

Tom, sorry was unable to respond to your pm. Could be computer or operator error . Don`t know, Tried multiple times. Give me a call if you want.

15. Old28

Old28

I know I have been away from this site for a few weeks, so I thought I would drop a few words in the thread.

I have been down again with some skin cancer problems, Had an operation two weeks ago and they got it all. With my medical history every thing takes longer and the healing & medication stabilation is an on going deal.

The short of the deal is that I will be back soon, but Eagle Field is not in the books. Hope to make June ANRA race. As I can't do much of anything these days I got in the seat today to see if my driver area modifications helped, I am real pleased, more knee room and better throttle peddle angle. Maybe a pass in this hot rod is in the future.

16. Old28, Hope ya have a speedy recovery!

17. Old28

Old28

Thanks for the words, at 69 this old body takes a little more time to get back in the game.:rolleyes:

18. bobw

bobw

Great that the dragster office is a better fit for you now. Nice work on that.

In that sunny climate you gotta be careful. Even here in Minnesota, I have had the same problem.

You have stated the reason very well as to why I am rushing to get my car together. No telling at this age how long I'll be able to get in/out, etc.

19. Old28

Old28

Thanks Bob, most of the skin cancer problems are from by past growing up in the Ventura, CA area and spending all my free time surfing each day, I am paying the price now.

I sent you a PM, take a look at it when you have time.

20. Old28

Old28

Well folks this is a day that I new was coming but I had hoped it would be down the road some. On going back & hip problems have make it to hard to get out of the dragster so I am putting it up for sale. The ad is in the HAMB "cars for sale" section if you know any one looking for a HAMBster style dragster. It was a lot of fun building and will make a fun ride for someone wanting to get into a SDRA 6 cylinder / PG / 8.8 trackion lock dragster.

21. old sparks

old sparks

Tom,you have been very helpful and a great all around credit to the sport. I hope to see you at the races even though you have decided to get out of the seat. I`m sorry to hear this ,But you have to do what you think is right. Thanks again for all your wisdom.Dan

22. Old28

Old28

Thanks Dan for the kind words. I hope to make find a 28-31 Coupe/Roadster/Sedan that has regular doors that I can get in & out of a little easier. If it works out may put a cage in it and run open wheel some. Usually takes some time to sell or trade one of these dragsters so I will be hauling it to a few races, I'll see you guys there. When you going to have yours at an ANRA race?

23. bobw

bobw

Sorry you have to give up the SDRA car, Tom. But, I sure understand why. Glad to see you plan on continuing racing.

Your price seems very fair.

24. Old28

Old28

Well Bob, as I told Dan I new it was coming and this old body has been used and abused. Need to take some time and mend a little and with any luck I will be able to run something (I just love open wheel cars). After 45+ years of FM dragster/altered racing it is real hard to step away from. More or less swap meet prices. I am still wanting to make one last pass in two weeks, I'll see how I feel, may need (old6) & (440) to pull me back out. Would just like to see what it will do with the motor setup that's in it now.

25. old sparks

old sparks

Tom, as always it takes 3 times longer to do something than i figured . the body mount is done , now it`s bodywork and safety gear. belts , firesuit. etc. I have done some driveway tests and it seems I might have to lower the stall on the convertor. I blip the throttle and it`s instant smoke and 3000 rpm. we`ll see when I get some better tires on it. Going to Alaska for two weeks at the end of the month so that is another obstacle (don`t tell my wife that I think that way). It`s nice to hear that you`re still thinking of getting out to the track. Dan

26. Old28

Old28

Still looking for the right person to buy the SDRA dragster that enjoys this type of nostalgia racing. old6 has a list of 9 races this season in So Cal area and the boys from AZ have 2-3 races this year. 6 cylinder -- power glide trans -- street tires makes for some fun racing. Thanks to all you racers that are putting out the word for me.

27. bobw

bobw

Tom, if you want a door car I could sent you my Crosley wagon. With or without the driveline.

28. Old28

Old28

Bob, I sent you a PM last night about the Crosley. Interested

29. old sparks

old sparks

tom, sorry for not pming you but I just got this new comp and I`m still trying to figure it out. I have a friend who lives fairly close to you with a roller glass 29 roadster. His daughter wants to run open wheel and your car would be perfect. He is number 1 in ne 3 points with his car right now

30. Old28

Old28