Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Now In Color!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Love it! That T with the Watson indy nose is crazy!

3. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

ryan - great pics, with great color! are these from Hot Rod, Rod & Custom? the ice blue 37 was great! any idea what issue? thanks - BIG JOHN 37

4. Beautiful stuff! Thanks Ryan.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Both I think, but mainly Hot Rod Magazine... They are all just photos I've saved through the years.

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

These pix are part of the reason I'm in love with that era of hotrods and customs. I will have one of both someday

7. very cool pics, all those pictures together like that would look good mounted, hanging on a wall

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive always loved the early photos..
    they seem more like art, than pictures taken with a camera..
    as if they were meticulously sketched, than painted with soft colors..hard to explain, but very pleasing to the eye..
    crisp!

nice post Ryan thanks

9. thank you for these views

a common theme with this group is great/ wild customizing ..with almost all of em having stock wheels , caps or just chromed units..

most must have been taken before the "customized wheel industry "made them affordable

10. S.F.

S.F.

There is something about the colors of those photo's that you just cant re create.

11. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I love the 60's customs but please leave the 60's clothes in the trash lol

.............great pics and post

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Ryan,

I just got a 1967 hot rod magazine pictorial issue and i was gonna scan all the pages and post them tonight or tomorrow.......guess i dont have to now. That was really weird that you posted this when you did. Alot of the ones you posted are in the one i have.

13. WOW! That's a trip back in time for me.:cool:

I had EVERY one of those HRM pics on my dorm wall in college (early 60's).

There was a particular fondness for the gal in the cowgirl getup with the 409 powered roadster p/u.;) Think they were from Texas.

Thanks for stirring the slumbering brain cells; I'll have to dig those out of storage.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the memories. I was a Hotrod subscriber from59 all through the 60s. I don't remember every one of these pictures but damn near it. Color pictures inside of car magazines was a BIG deal when it started. Before that the feature cars inside were printed in green ink.

That chopped F100 with the canted headlights and the fenders tucked in was always a favorite of mine along with the candy root beer 28-29 roadster P/U.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I miss the soft, analog look of real pics like that. Thats what life looks like.

16. Ryan ... Cool post ... I dig me some "CHROMES" (KODA & EKTA) :)

Dan Hay ... Be sure to check out Speedwagen's "Do you recognise this T" thread (just click HERE).

17. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Great collection of photos Ryan and thanks for sharing them! My dad(RIP) was huge into photography starting back in the late 50's and did a lot of color photography so it's kind of a walk down memory lane for me. Very cool stuff.

18. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Ryan, these pictures generate a flood of pleasant memories as this WAS my era. Thanks for the memories, and since I finally got to met you at the Round UP, I promise your secret is safe with me.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I Love those images!! I alway look to these images for inspiration on my T. The color represents the time very well...not that I was living during the time but you get my drift.

20. racer756

racer756

Ryan, Thanks for sharing. I cant help but notice in most all of the pics, that the people are happy, friendly looking folks. They dont have have that "im late", I wonder if I 'll get cell service here look. Its kinda cool to think that our cars allow us to have a lifestyle that is slower, more relaxed and more friendly(at times).

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Color photography was always problematic until the early to mid 70's. The emulsion layers were always wandering somewhere off their intended spectrum. The images faded badly and no one took it very seriously until after about 1976. I agree that the images have an amazing look now, but that's most likely after years of light and or several generations removed from the original as well as old printing inks. We can only emulate that "patina of life" and enjoy it for what it is now. I always say "thank God for photographers and their images". Of course being one and teaching it for almost forty years has nothing to do with my prejudices.......nice post Ryan

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gotta love the 60's T's.

just makes you wonder what happened to T's in the 70's. 70's was a bad time for T's

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I think that Petersen was one of the first publishing companies to go to the offset color printing process. Be interested to know how many full color ads were in those issues (not counting Detroit). I used to have some color keys of HRM covers that got lost over the years.

24. hankcash

hankcash

Ryan... you know I love this post.
    Also, this look can still be obtained by using certian types of FILM (usually expired) and processing.
    Here's one of Monkey's T from the drags last year:

hc

Attached Files:

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it would be easy to do it digitally also. then you put a white border around it with a date like they did with prints in the old days

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Ryan, you been hittin a nerve with every TJJ post lately. It's that look, the vibe, and yes the people and the clothes. All of it. Stuff like this is what molded many a young aspiring hotrodder. Thanks man, I needed that today.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm in love with this period as far as design and creativity... Just so wonderful... like alice and wonderland kind of... But, I've never really been so up on it that I wanted to do a car from that perspective.

That said, I LOVE this little '32:

[​IMG]

28. Wow, thanks, I missed that thread somehow...

29. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Ryan the pics look great, you sure have a great collection of rodding history!

30. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

The composition and lighting are great. I would like to know what their setup was. I'm thinking if they were cover shots they used a 2 1/4 camera, a Rolleiflex or maybe a Hasselblad, with a big bulb flash to soften the shadows and brighten the faces. Technically classic portrait shots. Great stuff.

Kurt O.