Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features pics East coast hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31modelo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. This car used to live not too far from me when it was im Md. It was full fendered at the time. It belonged to a fireman but his name escapes me (I'm suffering from CRS desease)

2. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I don't think so. I believe Mick built his roadster around that time, and I know he did all the work himself....everything....all fabrication, nerf bars etc. Maybe the car in Kentucky inspired him.:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
    Stogy and T-roaster like this.
  3. rat seeker

rat seeker

Great thread, I love the old pics

zuke likes this.
  4. I posted this roadster with PA tags once before, to see if anyone could ID it, with out much luck.

Attached Files:

Stogy, EVL401 and T-roaster like this.
  5. Hodad

Hodad

In action

Attached Files:

Stogy and EVL401 like this.
  6. Very cool and very east coast.

7. eastcoast57.....Here's 4 shots of a very similar Model A coupe I shot at a Armory show probably in Newark, NJ in 1958. I fell in love with the car, but being 6'2", I could never in my wildest imagination fit all of my in it. I cleverly cropped out the show sign, so I have no idea who the owner was. Any ID would be great.

If this doesn't get your fire burning, nothing will. MODEL A COUPE 1.jpg MODEL A COUPE 2.jpg MODEL A COUPE 3.jpg MODEL A COUPE 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022
    EVL401 and Stogy like this.
  8. thats exactly what i was looking for....diggin the roll and pleated wheelwell panels and the cycle fenders....awesome!!

9. I attended every car show I could find from 1958 until I went into the Army in 1963. These included Armory shows in Jersey at Newark, Patterson, Teneck, Livingston, Chatham, Morristown, a couple in New York City and a couple in West Springfield, Mass when we were visiting my uncle.

The photo quality is terrible, but with a simple camera without a flash, this is how I documented the hot rods that tripped my trigger then, and still do.Take note of the '34 5window with 2 tone paint. My memory tells me it was a light cream top and a robins egg blue bottom. Pastel colors, while not the norm in that period, could still be seen.

Any info and ID's would be great. 1923 FORD HEMI RPU.jpg 1927 FORD ROADSTER.jpg 1930 FORD ROADSTER.jpg 1932 FORD 5W FENDERED.jpg 1932 FORD 5W.jpg 1932 FORD CABRIOLET.jpg 1932 FORD ROADSTER.jpg 1934 FORD 5W 2-TONE.jpg CUT DOWN ROADSTER.jpg WILD ROADSTER.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2022
    Stogy and EVL401 like this.
  10. These are the last of the group of photos from 1958-1963. There are more, but are too washed out to even scan.
    The '32 3 window coupe with double white walls is the very famous '32 built by Andy Kassa, and restored and in the protective care of our own 1935Ron in North Jersey.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  11. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Here's my favorite... but I am a little bias. :) Photo credit to Rebecca.

Jonny

Attached Files:

Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  12. Don't be ashamed to love your own hot rod Jonny!

13. Rich V, your next feat of action is to find out what happened to all these beautiful rods. Or should we call on Kirk for that job?

14. Randomrodder....It's my professional opinion that many of the channeled cars built in the 50's and 60's were "restored" in the 70's and 80's to either full fenderd and/or hi-boy Street Rods. Think back at how many magazine captions that refer to the builder starting with an old channeled drag car which had a new floor installed.

15. True and now the 70s and 80s are being found and floors are being cut.............

16. Buz

Buz

The 27 T in the center of the top row is from Rochester NY. I was built by Carl and Bob Austin. They would drive the car to the shows in the winter and clean it up when they got there. The car was repainted in the late seventy's candy blue and a small block installed, but everything else was the same. If anyone has old mags it is in the Feb 59 Hot Rod and some others.

17. I bet Andy Southard knows this car.

18. Another east coast car. 1932 Plymouth from NY State. Art Russell was the owner/builder. This car was the grand national winner of,I think, 1964 ( I.S.C.A.?)
    A freind of mine bought it 15 or so years ago. It was mounted on a turntable. He sold it and, unfortunately, some redid it instead of leaving it alone.

Attached Files:

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Cool thread, I love a nice east coast style hot rod. One thing that always struck me as weird though. Why so many '33-'34 coupes run a '32 grille? It just looks weird!:D

20. Here's a more traditional '32 built in the 60's by Bud Sammes in Towson, MD who ran York Seat Cover Co. It featured a complete chrome chassis and suspension. Sometime street driven, but mostly built for the ISCA show circuit, it was purchased in the 80's by one of the Jones Boys in Bel Air, MD.

Attached Files:

21. I believe the reason for doing this is the fact that a severely channeled 33-34 Ford using a dropped stock height grille looks a bit awkward.Possibly that re-locating the radiator in a lower position was difficult.Also that fitting a hood(required in a lot of states back then)was difficult.Sectioning a 33=34 grille and making it look right is hard;I've only seen one or two that look good.Also it was difficult to fit a fan of sufficient size to ensure adequate cooling;a critical problem in early flatheads.

Here's one that looks good but it is also full fendered;Buddy George's sectioned 34 next to a stock height car.Buddy still owns it.

Don Hiller's chopped and channeled 34 with Deuce grille and full hood;one of the prettiest 34's ever.Haven't seen it since this show.

Attached Files:

22. mx6262

mx6262

Props:::This is BIG EAST all the way...

VERY COOL RIDE>>>>>>:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  23. mx6262

mx6262

I 2nd that!!!!!!:D

Stogy likes this.
  24. vendetta

vendetta

unsure who owns/built this or if its originally an older build or not but love the look of it.;)

Attached Files:

• 50s.jpg
      50s.jpg
      File size:
      95.8 KB
      Views:
    Stogy likes this.
  25. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Choppers Hot Rod Association coupe [Cleveland Est 1956] Bill Lake Show

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  26. Zombo

Zombo
    1. oHIo

^^cool but, not east coast style.

27. British built, few years ago.

28. Here's that picture of the Norm Wallace car with a top....which I don't think happened very often.
    [​IMG]

29. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Here's my unchopped and channeled '29 Sedan pictured with my partner in crimes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    WC145 and Stogy like this.
  30. 31modelo

31modelo

Almost going the same route as you only a 1 or 2 in chop and a set back for the engine. Looks good