Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Chevy II Rear End Width?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattStrube, Jun 1, 2008.

1. MattStrube

MattStrube

Anyone have a clue what the stock width on a Chevy II rear end is? And, how narry you can go, to maximixe wheel backspacing. Trying to see what types of combos folks have. I don't have the car with me here in Austin though.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A very little bit less than 58 inches. I helped install a 58 Ford 9 inch under a 62 Nova and they were almost the same EXACT width. :)

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Granada 8 or 9" fits perfect. So does the Versailes disc brake version.

4. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

52" from flange to flange!

5. MattStrube

MattStrube

I found a site that said 57.75 inches wide. So brakes must add 5.75". Thanks fellas, now I have an idea what to hunt down.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

NO ...
    That 57.75 measure is from the wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange :)

[​IMG]

I do not know why ( other than being LAZY ) anyone would measure a rear end backing plate to backing plate ... because the brake drum widths and back spacing varies so much rear end to rear end. The only CORRECT way to measure is the way in the photo IMHO.

7. MattStrube

MattStrube

Thanks that helps. Looks like that pumkin is off centered, I think I'll need a centered one? Man, I need the car here to be buying stuff.

8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Detroit speed makes a shock relocation kit that is cheap- though I am willing to bet that if You actually saw it, You could make Your own easily enough. it's worth an inch or two on the rear of a chevy II

Also, a minitub on one of these little dudes is pretty easy- it only really needs to get wider toward the front half of the tub.since I would Imagine You're not trying for a "rubber rolling pin" out back, I think this is Your best option for about 3 inches more rim.

Assuming it's not rusty, You could "pie cut" a portion of the inner well, and stretch it an inch or so ( not pretty but extremely functional.)

In my opinion- Best minitub ( quality and ease of instalation)- Detroit speed.
    Worst minitub- Newspaper and bondo. I didn't do it, but it didn't take long to figure out how he got an M-50-15 in there. :D

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The photo is off the internet ( not a actual 57 Ford housing :) )... just to show the correct method of measuring. When I helped with the 57 Ford rear under the 62 Chevy II ... I do not remember any problems with the driveshaft and the floor tunnel in the Chevy II ... But it has been a long time ... and was NOT my car :D

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

nope- the pinion is centered. Kinda hard to see without the chunk in it and the whole thing in your lap.

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

from what I can tell, 62-3 were "hotchkiss style" with the center section that dropped out. 64 introduced the "conventional" 10 bolt, which was the same width. 84-68 look to be the same as far as spring width is concerned, but I cannot find anything on overall width.

why does any of this matter?

Because there is a nova 12 bolt on Craigslist Austin right now for 600 bucks-and it's Posi.