Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric exhaust cutouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZAPPER68, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

I have recently purchased a 55 Chevy Gasser. It has a BBC and fenderwell headers... the car requires an exhaust system to be streetable.

I was thinking about installing electric exhaust cutouts and was wondering if anyone has suggestions, good or bad regarding them? Can I install them directly on the collector flange or do they need to be further 'down stream' so to speak?

Thanks in advance.

2. A friend has one from Doug's on his late model. He says it works very well, has 2 seasons on it without leaks.

3. hellcat666

hellcat666

i have a few applications i was thinking of using them on but never had any experience with them eaither. anyone else have anything on them? curious to hear if they are worth useing or not.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You can install them directly on the header collector, but that would mean your exhaust would be closed when they are closed, so your engine wont run! Most guys run a "Y" pipe after the collector so they can divert exhaust when the cutout is open, but when closed it runs through the exhaust system. You can also modify your collector by routing the exhaust system out the side of the collector if there's room, then put the cutout directly on the collector. I don't have electrics, but that's what I did on my headers.
    [​IMG]

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The work good but may not be legal as far as some states vehicle codes read.
    If you plan to live in Washington state this might interest you.
    <table style="padding-right:5px" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="bottom">RCW 46.37.390

Mufflers required &#8212; Smoke and air contaminant standards &#8212; Definitions &#8212; Penalty, exception.

</td> <td valign="top" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> (1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

Of course they have to catch you in the act of having them open.

6. 35ChevSedan

35ChevSedan

I've got Quicktime electric cut outs on my '35. The header goes right to them and then a Y goes to the rear exhaust with Flowmasters. Its like having a volume knob on your exhaust, which has all kinds of advantages. And why the toggle switch is readily available so I can close them quickly when needed (cuz I do live in Washington! : )

Attached Files:

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

8. desotot

desotot

I wonder what the aproximate cost of these units are?

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. The way I interpet that a person would not be using the cutout if it was not in the bypass postition... ie if it was engaged in the bypass position then it would be illegal !

To have one installed and using it are two different animals (I know "tell it too the judge!" LOL)

Sounds like a poorly written law.

11. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Thanks for the responses...nice installation there stumpy.