Register now to get rid of these ads!

quarter elliptic leaf springs in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daren, Dec 3, 2003.

1. daren

daren

If you were to mount the rear axle with quarter elliptic springs on each side would they also provide enough forward/rear support to run without radius rods or hairpins on each side?

I also plan on running a panhard bar and a forward torque arm attached to the chunk.This should be enough right?

Anyway the car is a 1930 Model A, and the rear is a Mustang 8-inch. I plan on running a 302 or a flathead, haven't decided yet.

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, if you want to live...

Think about it, you don't want only one pivot point. The spring can only be a spring in this case, you have to have radius rods and a panhard would not hurt at all.

3. daren

daren

Well I definately don't won't to die and I don't want to hurt anyone else or have a "death rod". This is my first time building car like this, i've always played with later models before, including my 50 ford. Thanks for the heads up. I will work on fabbing or buying radius rods.

4. How about using a four bar setup where the 1/4 elliptics are the lowers and you use tubulars for uppers ? Properly designed (with your torque arm and panhard) this should work fine. Just don't use shackles at the spring ends. Mount them solid.

5. lakesmod

lakesmod

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    How about using a four bar setup where the 1/4 elliptics are the lowers and you use tubulars for uppers ? Properly designed (with your torque arm and panhard) this should work fine. Just don't use shackles at the spring ends. Mount them solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i was gonna say. you can triangulate the upper bars and will have no need for a panhard bar in that case. the Ionia Hot Rod shop 32 RPU runs that setup in the rear with small airbags for helpers (he plans to pull a small trailer with it). it's a slick setup.

7. k-member

k-member

Daren, check out the link lakesmod posted, and lakesmod, you are a wildman, nice job! I can't wait to see that thing in person,WOW

8. customized

customized

lakesmod...WOW....

9. lakesmod, that thing is gonna be wild!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is using one of those front axles for something like this.

the axle I saved for use in the T that I will get around to finishing some day came from a '50 Ford truck, kinda looks like the one you used, I was going to use a different suspension setup though. Mine may look a lil wierd...the radius rods were going to be square tubing with some kinda sinister lookin flame cut pieces welded to the outseides of 'em, mounted with either the new fangled radius ends or old fashioned Tie Rod Ends to the mount on the frame, up front they would be bolted where the springs used to go on the axle, spring perches mounted on the radius "tubes", and a traditional suicide spring mount on the foremost crossmember...

are you going to grind/machine/cut off the spring mounts that are made on the axle, or put somethin' there? could be a good place to make some kinda shock mount...just an idea.

I, too, cant wait to see it finished!

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I think the Speedway Lowboy '32 uses quarter elliptics, at least some of the earlier ones did. As I recall, used spring for one suspension member on each side, and a conventional tube for the second. I doubt that a panhard would be needed in most cases; it would take a pretty big side force to deflect one of those big springs much side-to-side.

11. lakesmod

lakesmod

k-member-want to see it,come on over,PM me if you do.

hillbilly- I will be cutting off the spring mounts,just waiting to see if I need them for something.As of now I'm using the drivers side mount (one hole-rear inside) to mount my rubber brake hose with a "T".That hose is used on the 8" Ford rear end also.
    Fred

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

There was a Mustang at Fatmans last time I was there that had quarter ellptic lead springs with a panhard bar and coilovers.. It was in for a suspenion upgrade (they were swapping it out I believe as it looked like it had been in there for awhile...