Register now to get rid of these ads!

727 Torqueflite cooler line question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Nov 5, 2008.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I received my 78 Dodge torqueflite back from the rebuilder and we're now getting ready to run cooler lines. If memory serves me correct, the cooler lines are on the drivers side, contrary to the Ford and GM set-ups, which I understand are on the passenger side. A colleaque of mine swears that it should be on the passenger side. There are two bolts on that side that could act as coolers, so now I'm begining to doubt myself. Can any of the mopar guru's chim in and give me the guidance I'm looking for. Please confirm which side the cooler lines are located on. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

if not answered before this afternoon, ill confirm and get back at ya - at work now

3. skunx1964

skunx1964

drivers side, one near front and one near back

4. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Correct!

5. The fittings on the other side are for testing pressures.

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

ya, theres a lot of capped ports on there....

7. Driver's side

8. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Gentlemen: Thank you very much for your response. I can continue the project without hesitation. Thank you again.

9. swifty

swifty

Over here in Oz they're on the passenger side. Does that confuse you LOL

10. The front port is the oil from the converter out going to the cooler, and the rear port is the return from the cooler going in to the lube circuit.

After a complete rebuild, I recommend filling the torque converter with as much oil as possible before start-up. I also recommend overfilling the trans by about an inch, otherwise once the converter is filled the trans oil level will be down off the stick. Overfilling it also makes it a little easier for the pump to pull in (up) the oil.

Another tip - because of the valve body design, the torque converter on these transmissions does not fill well when in Park but does fill when in Neutral. That is why it says what it does on the dipstick.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008