Register now to get rid of these ads!

power strg pressure - late model Ford pump in 70s GM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by easthead, Sep 28, 2012.

1. easthead

easthead
    from Wisconsin

Have a 79 Camero sub frame in my 47 Ford, with the original type power GM steering box. Car is powered with a late 80s Ford 5.0 using the standard ford power steering pump. Had looseness in steering and installed new Ford power steering pump and new GM steering box. Still have looseness (about 1" play at steering wheel). Am wondering if the Ford pump, which originally powered a rack unit, does not produce enough pressure for the old style GM steering box. Any suggestions?

2. is the play in the box, or the steering shaft, front end etc..?

3. easthead

easthead
    from Wisconsin

It's in the box

4. how do you think the pump is going to effect play in the input shaft?

5. easthead

easthead
    from Wisconsin

I don't know, just trying to diagnose the problem before pulling and returning the rebuilt GM steering box. What I do know is that power rack units such as the late 80s Ford operate on less pressure than the old GM boxes used in the 79 Camero. Also, there is no play in the steering box input shaft - it's a direct connect to the rag joint and I can see it turn as the steering wheel turns.

6. The play is in the box - as in the inside- between the rag joint and the pitman arm shaft..
    There's adjustment mechanism built right into the thing..

Oh yea no E in Camaro

7. johnboy13

johnboy13

With the engine off and the car on stands is there still play? If yes, then check the box or steering components, if no, then suspect the pump.

8. easthead

easthead
    from Wisconsin

Tried adjusting the old one by loosening the lock nut and screwing in the allen screw at the top of the box. Resulted in same play, but overly tight steering. Is that the right adjuster?