Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of Cars made into trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Radio Joe, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Hey guys- Need a truck and looking for something different.

Anyone have pictures of a car someone converted into a pickup? I know its not for everyone- just post up some cool pics if you have them.

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

I always like the nomad converted to an elcamino

3. LowFat48

LowFat48

4. 52style

52style

damn im gonna have to look around on my old hard drives i used to run a junk yard we had a nash metropolitan that was made into a pickup

5. To a degree it's going to depend on what vehicle you want to start with for the project. But you should get some inspiration if you do a Google image search for "ute". Try the same search on the forums here, too. The Aussies made some grreat looking car/truck conversions. But you may have to relocate the steering column.:rolleyes:

6. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Good tip! I will check it out.

I have access to a few 52-54 fords that are pretty beat. Between them I could probably assemble one body- definitely could assemble a truck. I thought the rear quarter panel shape wouldnt look too bad as a truck bed.

7. Silverado85

Silverado85

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

utes

Attached Files:

9. Jax2A

Jax2A

I didn't get a picture of it because I didn't have a camera at the time but a couple of weeks ago I came across a late 60's Caddy hearse cut into a pickup. It looked like it was done quite some time ago and it was pretty cool.

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

My Essex started out life as a 2-door sedan. It was converted in the 40's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Squablow

Squablow

12. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Well look at that! I agree about the quarter window- I think I would have gone with more of a flat or concave back window in it.

Great pics everyone- Keep em coming.:cool:

13. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

Cant forget this one. 49 convertible turned into PU.

Attached Files:

14. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

here it is.

Attached Files:

15. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

This is my current shop truck. it was done late 50's, early 60's.

[​IMG]

I owned this one also. It was built when it was a new car that was in a warehouse fire when it was new. It was featured in Rod & custom in 1953!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  16. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

The green Caddy is cool. Did it start out as a coupe? Any idea where it is now?

17. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

ya gotta love the factory converted old caddy hearse trucks-

18. vertible59

vertible59

Those were flower cars.

19. bugsy_malonn

bugsy_malonn
    from Emmett ID

I built this one but its only a model LOL[​IMG][​IMG]

20. I've seen so many of those over the years in junkyards and never took many pictures. '63 Chevy 2-door post with a pickup cab back nicely grafted in, even once a '70-ish AMC Ambassador wagon with the rear posts cut out and an attempt made to fold down the top skin without cutting it - it was a mess. '40s Plymouth/Mopar coupe up in the woods with the back body torched off and a small winch set on the back of it. Tons and tons of Model As. Heck, someone bought my grandparent's then 10 year old '59 Buick 4-door and supposedly planned to make a pickup out of it. I don't know what the results were, though.

In fact I even saw about a '79 LTD wagon someone had done the conversion on last summer, driving down the road. Paint was ratrodesque, but the work looked good.

Along the lines of what you want to do, I saw on Chevytalk.org a while back what must have been a coachbuilt flower car conversion of a '51 Chevy hardtop. Long doors, top shortened, windows recut to match, big open bed in the back.

And someone posted a 52-54 Ford that had been done I think on here not too long ago, might be worth a search. She was pretty ugly, but it would give you an idea how not to do it if nothing else.

21. Some really kool pics there guy's,Those flower cars Rock!.
    Coming from the land of utes My daily some years back was a
    1951 chevy coop ute,sold it couse the roof was bad were they
    leaded it.Like allways wish i still had it.
    Rocky did you buy your shop truck like that or did the sheet metal work
    for the tray area?
    Last weeks Quakka (our local trader paper) had 50 ford ute roof section
    and a complete shell for sale. the roof sec was only 100 bucks.
    I'll see if i can post some pic's..

22. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Here's my old 48 Chevy X4door...51 merc p/u cab back and rear fenders, it took years to find out but the orig box was from a 48 Thames 1/4 ton pick-up...supposedly only 200 were imported into Canada. I miss this truck it was a blast to drive and I had less than $3,000. into it.

[​IMG]

24. Willowbilly3's got it, that Mainline is factory.

25. Since I'm a big fan of '64 Oldsmobiles, had this one saved in my computer. Would love to have this one as my daily driver/work truck.
    Funny, just last night Nads was telling me of his idea to turn a '61 Caddy into an El Camino, using a donor beater Chevy. Those Cadillacs have always been cool! Most where done by skilled craftsman. :cool:
    JT

Attached Files:

26. ...I've always liked this idea of a car made into a pickup,...one of the coolest I remember was in a Wisconsin boneyard...a 50 Chevy tudor cut behind the doors with the rear cab wall made from 2 -46 Chevy pickup doors welded together at the door handles...the windows in the doors still rolled down for opening rear windows. Those doors actually fit real well,...the bed was made with wood, not real pretty but very useable.
    ...here's a friend of mines' '28 Chevy made into a p.u., using the rest of the quarter panels to make the bed sides.
    [​IMG]

27. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I built my '29 RPU from a Tudor Sedan. I used genuine RPU dimensions. Always wished I had made cab 2-3 inches longer. Had a barrel of fun in it though. :D

Attached Files:

28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

29. teisco

teisco

I was going to do this to my 56 plylmouth four door but it went to Estonia before the sawsall got warm.

[​IMG]

30. Jax2A

Jax2A

They used a 53 Caddy flower car in Alice's Restaurant. I didn't know it was called a flower car though, just thought it was a diy converted hearse.
    http://imcdb.org/images/011/507.jpg