Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom 54 Merc, progress pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Dec 15, 2007.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

great job, Ace im doin the same car, 54 merc monterrey ht. Im gonna make a mild Kustom. Good Luck,Mike

2. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looks cool. I love those tailights in a custom

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

4. MP&C

MP&C

Great job on the tail lights!

5. Squablow

Squablow

All the work looks very nice. I've been wanting one of these for a while, I've got a complete glass top roof from a '54 Ford that's just dying to go into something.

I chopped my '53 Ford and sunk the glass into the trunk, won't ever do that again. It looks decent but it's really hard to keep water from seeping into the trunk since you can't really get a gasket in there properly. Next time around on my '53 I'll be using a '50 Ford rear window.

6. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

hey ace
    im about two hours west of you!!! thanks for lettin' me know about the lead, i have a 51' merc' that im gonna start on here soon and am gonna wanna lead it...i'll def. be chopping it so when i get to that point you should cruise on out!
    bob

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I think you'll need a whole lot more than lead to fill that car up. Might wanna consider some sheetmetal too!

Thats looks like a shoebox back window to me. Def not '51 Merc or '49-'50 for that matter.

8. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Nice work. Making us Ohio boys look good. I have some high standards to live up to.

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hey Punkabilly, you out by Toledo? If so do you know the Screamin' Demons guys? If you need an extra set of hands, let me know

Hey a Norwalker!? i'm just east of you, 5 miles south of Wellington, in Rochester. I've got friens in Wakeman, car guys too.

SlowandLow, you're right. my mistake :eek:. I recall it being a ford now that you mention it, and after looking closer it's definintely ford.

thanks again guys
    -ace

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats actually a really nice look IMO. Definitely beats the stock window. They're usually farely common, I may know a of a few around. Oh ya and Punkabilly needs all the help he can get. That merc needs some luvin.

11. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

looks nice man cant wait to see the finished product.

12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

billy is just jealous cause my p.o.s. has potential of being cool and his will always be a p.o.s :D

13. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

oh and im an hour west of toledo

14. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

hour west of toledo...got ya. which town would that be? So where can we see both of thes P.O.S.s we keep hearing about :D

I think the donor window if we go top chop route will be a '49 dodge. it looks really similar to the ford, and hey, it's free. a friend turned his into a carson top. well, it's in progress i should say.

15. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

an hour west of toledo would put you in a small town called "montpelier"...and the p.o.s's are a 62' monterey (getting a face lift soon) and a 51' merc' two door that needs major surgery to get back on its feet but hey its a merc' right!!

16. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

well, in your hunts for body panels or what have you, keep an eye out for 49/50 lincoln/merc rear quarters for me. 4door preferrably, since i've got a 4dr that is... Got my '50 lincoln that needs some. i might just make them since they are astronomical.

17. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

mmmm...gotta love a merc' no matter how bad it might be

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Mainly cuz I never have any time to get anything done on it.

19. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

No...the '49-'50 Mercs had the rounded rear windows. Here's an un-chopped '51 for comparison...completely different.

ACE: Looking GREAT!!!!!

Attached Files:

20. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Thats a shoebox rear window.

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I think he meant because they are Floored's, not Mercurys. ;)

22. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

hey Merc Man, thanks, but we already got it sorted out ;) it was my mistake. i called it a '51 merc, but clearly it's not.

23. Flop

Flop

hey ace what kind of old bone yards you guys got up your way i need some stuff but there is nuthing down in pittsburgh!!!
    guessing you have some up there .

24. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Heres a picture of my buddy Gil's newly finished 54 Merc. Just another way to do one. I do love the variety, thats what keeps us all doing what we do.

Attached Files:

25. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hey Flop! well, tell ya the truth i have no clue. My dad found this one on ebay out in Indiana somewhere. The lights were on ebay too, and the pontiac sidetrim came from a HAMBer. Tell ya where to go in PA...Johnny Bones can maybe go with you sometime...but it's called Renick's. If you get on Rt. 8 north it's up behind the Clearview Mall in Butler. I'll pm you directions
    -ace

26. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

"Hey a Norwalker!? i'm just east of you, 5 miles south of Wellington, in Rochester. I've got friens in Wakeman, car guys too."

Are you talking about any of the devillabilly boys? I kinda know em. Rochester is just a shout away. Let me know if you need a hand any time. I live right down from the dragstrip.

27. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Then again you own at least 2 Mercurys so they can't be that classy.

28. flypa38

flypa38

Ace,
    This thing looks lots better than the little pics on my telephone!
    And Flop, haven't been able to get ahold of Renick's lately......weird hours, but probably not closed completely. What all ya lookin' for?
    Johnny

29. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Yeah, i'm speakin' of those guys! they've been backing me up when my regular guys can't make shows (band shows that is). Thanks for the offer, i'll keep you in mind. If you're ever out my way you're more than welcome to stop by. i'm right off 511 south of rochester
    -ace

30. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Here's some new pictures of the past month or so's progress.

Engine is a 472 caddy, here's a couple shots before we put it all together, just test fitting and getting ready to weld in the motor mounts. Trans is a b.o.p. 400. Slightly cammed, should be around 550-600 horse we're hoping. Not that it needs that much of course:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    don't worry. just tacks...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos to come of the engine fully together, and of some other little stuff.
    -ace