Register now to get rid of these ads!

Red Green welding vent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I have a small shop, several weeks ago I was doing some tack welding with my mig. Yes, I know you are supposed to be in a well vented area but I had the A/C on, it was 104* outside. After a couple hours I noticed there were some fumes. I opened the big shop doors and sweated the last bit out. This past weekend I wanted to do a little more welding but the hurricane left 100% humidity and I didn't want my freshly sandblasted doors to start rusting. I was going to open a window and blow the exhaust out but that still would have brought a lot of humidity back in. Then I came upon this idea, and it worked. I duct taped the vacuum head to a large welding magnet and mounted it about 4" to 5" above the area I was spot welding. The exhaust end of the shop vac I stuck through a cardboard filler in the window. The smoke was sucked into the vac and blown outside. This was light welding and not continous but it let me tack pieces together without changing the air in the shop every 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

you have 454 posts.

Neat idea! just like in welding class

3. DrJ

DrJ

Red would be proud!

4. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Cool idea. Red would be proud.....

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

No kidding !

6. Necessity is the mother of invention. I'll tell my ol' pal Red the next time I see him at the hardware store buying duct tape. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. Another slick idea was using the metal siding on the inside of your shop, wish I'd have seen that before hanging and painting a unit of OSB.

8. Model T1

Model T1

Being from Illinois I'm proud of ya son! I never met this Red Green guy. But a few people used to say I looked like Harold.:(
    What's the possiblity of suckin a flame or sparks into the shop vac?

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

Remeber if your wife doesn't find you hansome she oughta find ya handy !

10. I can't belive you guys know who Red Green is. I thought the show was just a Canadian thing.

11. Beau

Beau

I favorite episode is when he steals the neighbors garage door opener and makes his car have gullwing doors.

12. Beau

Beau

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Even more appropriate here:
    "If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin!"

14. cayager

cayager

hey i see the problem here. your garage is inside out! i love the tin on the inside but i bet the sheetrock on the outside hates the rain

15. LOL! :D That siding used to be on the outside until he turned on the shop vac! I think that happened on an episode of the Red Green show once. Red built a shop vac powered by the engine from Moose Thompson's Crown Vic! :eek:

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Red Green is my hero. Used to watch his show on Ch. 56 in Detroit when I lived there. Moved here to Az. & they have his show on Sat. nites.

17. What's that rear axle goin' in? :cool:

18. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

My wife often comments me about to her friends, "Well, at least he's handy."

19. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

Hey Red Green on hamb!!!

I remember seeing The Red Green show for the first time back in 1994 when I was in El Paso for a week of training and I couldn't sleep. I was watching TV at 2am.

I remember the one section: "The winter of my discount tent"
    (discontent)

Now that is funny right there.

20. 62rebel

62rebel

that's not a bad idea. i like the tin interior to the shop as well; tin won't rot nor catch afire. i don't think a spark would keep heat long enough inside the hose to cause trouble; as long as there's nothing in the catch bin to be flammable i'd never give it a second thought. now, if ya been using the shop vac to empty gas tanks, well......

21. LZ

LZ

Red Green rules... Unfortunately our local station no longer carries it.:(

22. I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

23. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

Best one ever is when he makes a carburetor out of a toilet on a camero. The worlds biggest flying toilet carb.

24. Here is a no vote for the vacuum cleaner. They are full of dust, dust is explosive, mig welding creates sparks.

25. afaulk

afaulk

That is one funny sumbitch

26. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

The very first thing I did before using the vacuum cleaner was to clean it out as good as new. I even blew the filter out with air. It does move quite a bit of air.

The rear end is for the 1 1/2 ton '55 chevy truck that I am restoring that used to haul the gasser in my avatar. That is also what the doors are for.

27. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Thats exactly what I was thinking! Never thought Canadian television made it outside out our borders.

28. cayager

cayager

some moron around here a couple years ago made the paper for sucking the gas out of his snowblower with a shop vac to put it away in the spring. you have one guess as to how it turned out!:cool:

29. jazz1

jazz1

Good use for the shop vac,,,it is a multi use for sure ..I made small sandblast cabinet out of a old metal filing cabinet and got the shop vac hooked up to it to suck dust out of cabinet so I can see what i am doing . Being poor or just plain cheap nurtures creativity.